Returning to high school / college band after DC

Hahaha :whistle: Yep, I heard some things like that too haha. I just kinda stood there like : :doh::doh::eh::doh::tongue::smile:

I remember a rehearsal in my MB this year. somebody was a good 8 steps away from the form (the guy leading it was new). I asked him why he was way over there, and he just goes "This is where I'm supposed to be." I told him "No, you're supposed to be in the form." "But the form is wrong!" "Then you're supposed to be wrong with it!"

I wanted to cry...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my second season in corps, I came back absolutely dazzled by the top corps at Nationals, particularly the Cavie's who won it... only to find myself [once again] in my HS band that just sort of made pictures on the field for each song and changed their show for every halftime. ACK!!! :whistle: The contrast between corps and band drove me 100% absolutely nuts! *Nothing* that the marching band did could remotely compare to the incredible precision, the jaw-dropping creativity, and the utter coolness of DRUM CORPS... all of which I was so very, very lucky to have become a part. The year: 1966 [not a typo]!

After my second season in corps, I came back absolutely dazzled by the top corps at Nationals, particularly the Cavie's who won it... only to find myself [once again] in my HS band that just sort of made pictures on the field for each song and changed their show for every halftime. ACK!!! :whistle: The contrast between corps and band drove me 100% absolutely nuts! *Nothing* that the marching band did could remotely compare to the incredible precision, the jaw-dropping creativity, and the utter coolness of DRUM CORPS... all of which I was so very, very lucky to have become a part. The year: 1966 [not a typo]!

Hi, Jim!

I, too, marched in a picture band. March to drum cadence, make a picture, play appropriate song for picture; rinse; repeat as needed.

We never did a corps-style show until our last halftime show. We had two away games before the final home game, so the drum corps guys in the band talked the director into letting us do the show. We wrote and taught the whole thing.

I can't remember who we played, but when their band came to visit in the third quarter, they were blown away.

They've marched a corps-style show every year since. They also dumped the drill team and formed a color guard soon after, too.

The year: 1972

Garry in Vegas

My one year of college MB was 1977 which was the first year I was in DCA Finals. We're getting ready for a halftime show (few weeks after DCA) and one guy is walking around yelling "Get pumped! Get PUMPED!!" like a freakin' linebacker. He looks at me and yells, "You're not READY! You're too calm, what's wrong with you". I tell him in a quiet voice "You get ready your way, I get ready mine".

Before he can respond the guy next to me who was a member of Finleyville Royal Crusaders (DCI Finalist about that time) says "Look ###hole, weve been COMPETING on the field all summer. What the #### did you do? We know our ####". :whistle:

My one year of college MB was 1977 which was the first year I was in DCA Finals. We're getting ready for a halftime show (few weeks after DCA) and one guy is walking around yelling "Get pumped! Get PUMPED!!" like a freakin' linebacker. He looks at me and yells, "You're not READY! You're too calm, what's wrong with you". I tell him in a quiet voice "You get ready your way, I get ready mine".

Before he can respond the guy next to me who was a member of Finleyville Royal Crusaders (DCI Finalist about that time) says "Look ###hole, weve been COMPETING on the field all summer. What the #### did you do? We know our ####". :whistle:

I think I know what you mean. I never marched band before, but we had some kids in our corps who did, and when they first arrived they were surprised at how high the intensity level was cranked up.

I think I know what you mean. I never marched band before, but we had some kids in our corps who did, and when they first arrived they were surprised at how high the intensity level was cranked up.

I might have confused people with my response. Yeah, I need more coffee before I type. :smile:

The guy yelling like a linebacker never marched corps but thought he was a big #### in the band because he was a sophmore. Because the Royal Crusader and I were new to the band (both transfers) he thought we were pukey freshmen who needed to be told what to do. :whistle:

Anyway "yelling guy" apparently thought you showed you were psyched for a performance by stomping around and yelling. All four members of the band who were also corps members just stood aroud quietly. If you didn't know better you'd think we didn't care but we were set. We just had that quiet type of inner intensity.

Another flashback, out section leader in the trombones was ex-miitary and he'd walk around asking all the t-bones if they were set. Most would yell "YES" or "I'M SET". When he would get to me I'd just say "Yep" and the Royal Crusader would say something funny and very obscene. One week the section leader just shook his head and said "You are the only two guys I never have to worry about. But sometimes you scare the #### out of me". :tongue:

Hi, Jim!

I, too, marched in a picture band. March to drum cadence, make a picture, play appropriate song for picture; rinse; repeat as needed.

The year: 1972

Garry in Vegas

Me, too...the year I started in HS MB: 68, as a soph (9th graders went to the junior high, not the high school).

We usually opened to "On Wisconsin" and then did the cadence/picture-play thing too. Our band director hated MB...as an orchestral oboist he really did not like concert band much either, to be honest.

No such thing as a staff back then; he did it all. One time we were playing the "Girl from Ipanema"; he had us form an hourglass girls shape, and he wanted to move the "hips" side to side. The problem was, the hips moved in opposite directions, not the same direction, so they ust got bigger and smaller, as though she was opening and closing her legs. :whistle:

Oh, at the football game the two tubas decided that they would be the...er...nipples...on the bressessess :tongue:

One week the section leader just shook his head and said "You are the only two guys I never have to worry about. But sometimes you scare the #### out of me". :whistle:

Oh Jim you totally made me burst out laughing!! FUNNY STORY!!! Good one bud...

The one thing I remember is almost getting in big trouble with my catholic high school's administration when they saw the corps kids not wearing shirts during band camp.

Oh, and I also had a problem with not swearing every other word during rehearsal... I got back from tour two days before band season, and it took a few days to transition.