Go march Crown!

Yeah..and that brass staff all teaches CC now, and THEY call them tubas. So there.

Ok?

It's definitely difficult to find a good number of tubists who can play well AND handle the horn. I doubt we'll be seeing too many corps marching 16 tubas.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I believe in 92 they marched 3 valved horns, which would make them tubas, correct?

Or is it G dependent?

The key is what makes it a contrabass bugle regardless of the number of valves.

I know Phantom had 14 in '96 and '03.

MORE CONTRA!!! :tongue:

Nope I believe Star marched the same 2 valved horns from 1985-1993. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

err...i somehow doubt that star marched on 2 valve bugles in the 90's. Im not positive, but im pretty sure that those last 3-4 years were on the same 3 valve bugles that corps like the cadets and bd were using. Maybe ill watch the video on the 12 hour bus ride home from florida...

I talked to a couple of staff members to get my information in and see what I could do to get ready, (BTW / they seem like a great bunch of people) and I asked them if anyone had marched 16 before. They said they knew 92 Star had marched 16 and didn't really know about anyone else. I then asked them about the horns, and they said they were 2 valve contras, in G. I also think they said they were King's or at least they were related to king horns. And for the kicker, they didn't get any new horns. They marched on the same horns since the beginning.

Just thought you should know - I can't wait to get over there.

err...i somehow doubt that star marched on 2 valve bugles in the 90's. Im not positive, but im pretty sure that those last 3-4 years were on the same 3 valve bugles that corps like the cadets and bd were using. Maybe ill watch the video on the 12 hour bus ride home from florida...

The term "contra" and "soprano" (and even "alto", if we REALLY want to get technical) refer to voicings NOT instruments. The only families of instruments in which the terms contra, soprano, and alto are used is the saxophone and clarinet family. So, in the brass family of instruments, "contra" refers to the lowest voice of the choir, and can therefor mean a tuba in the key of G with a valve and a rotor, a tuba in the key of BBb with 3 valves, or even a tuba in the key of CC with 4 valves and a rotor. There are NO instruments in the brass family that are technically called a "contra" or a "soprano" or an "alto".

The good fight continues...

Michael Terry

that is true doogie. from my experience the difference between a true bugle and its counterparts would be conical vs. cylindrical bore. a true contrabass bugle has a true conical bore as opposed to a tuba with a most cylindrical bore up to the bell flare. true bugles (conical) are typically refered to as contra soprano etc. whereas the cylindrical models are trumpet tuba etc.

The term "contra" and "soprano" (and even "alto", if we REALLY want to get technical) refer to voicings NOT instruments. The only families of instruments in which the terms contra, soprano, and alto are used is the saxophone and clarinet family. So, in the brass family of instruments, "contra" refers to the lowest voice of the choir, and can therefor mean a tuba in the key of G with a valve and a rotor, a tuba in the key of BBb with 3 valves, or even a tuba in the key of CC with 4 valves and a rotor. There are NO instruments in the brass family that are technically called a "contra" or a "soprano" or an "alto".

The good fight continues...

Michael Terry

Except for, you know, the soprano bugles, alto bugles, baritone bugles and contrabass bugles corps used to use.

Except for, you know, the soprano bugles, alto bugles, baritone bugles and contrabass bugles corps used to use.

Which you could legitimately refer to as trumpet, mellophone, baritone, and tuba.

Didn't Phantom march 16 in either 05 or 06? I don't have my DVDs handy, but I remember them advertising to euphonium players that there were tuba spots still open in January.