Suncoast Sound, "The Lick"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old high school band director was never much of a drum corps fan, but I remember him flipping out when he heard "the lick" played on someone's boombox.

I sure wish someone would bring back those Suncoast binoculars! HA!

IIRC, the Like is mostly 1st and open valves...with the 2nd valve coming in as the end of the phrase descends. Randy....do you still have that bar or 2 of the music?

it looks easy...it's just moving one valve for teh most part...but those are teh ind of phrases that are VERY easy to rush....and The Lick was clean clean clean!

So I just listened to it. Is this "lick" at the 11:50 mark? Because thats quite a lick

That would be it from the DCI Fan Network multimedia recording. How many individuals played the lick? Was it the whole horn line?

That would be it from the DCI Fan Network multimedia recording. How many individuals played the lick? Was it the whole horn line?

Yep. Unison run.. everyone from the lead sops down to the contras.

Marwan - I remember standing next to you guys at retreat at finals and how you guys hyped us as we played E.T. Suncaost was always one of my favorite corps, which is why it didn't bother me one bit getting beat by ya'll at Nats. I loved the 88 and 89 shows, but most of all, it was an honor sharing the field of battle with a corps of such as Suncoast.

Take it to the beach Suncoast!

And I felt likewise about SAC. Part of that was because my HS played Breaking Up / Lover Come Back To Me my soph year and then Born Again my Junior. Even if we hadn't though, always loved the Freelancers, the uniforms, the attitude (buckle smash!), everything. Heck, I even liked 85! (I know a lot of folks didn't)

Yes. Robert Smith and Frank Williams were integral to the Suncoast "SOUND" throughout the 80's. Oh, the stories that I could tell about both....

Also, you have the location of the Lick down pat. It's the unison run after the reprise and before the duet.

The bari soloist many here may know, it is Bob Barfield, who spent many years on staff at Boston.

Randy, we actually attempted to put The Lick in in the 89 show, mid tour. I can't even explain the excitement when we walked into some bandroom on tour to see the lick written on the board. We spent a good chunk of that rehearsal learning it, very slowly at first and speeding up time and again. However, when we got to the field for ensemble, it just didn't work. Don't know if it was the staging or what, but we only tried it like twice before Robert put the kaibash on it. Needless to say, we were disappointed.

As a 14 yo kid I used to spend weekends at my HS watching Suncoast camps in 85 and 86. Made recordings and everything, which of course are now lost, and that is a shame. Things like the street beat, which was a blend of Spyder and Jungle Love (yes, THAT Jungle Love), or the version of the opening fanfare that had a samba section in the middle of it. Sad that those are gone. I also used to have a judges tape of the great Dr. Bernie Baggs seeing them in Huntington, WV. He LOVED the show, especially the bari / bass soli. Also lost. :wall:

I usually mention this when a Suncoast thread opens, but that was one corps that came out of nowhere to prominence in a VERY short time.

1979 - 40th

1980 - 30th

1981 - 21st

1982 - 13th (by .55)

1983 - 6th (actually beat the legendary Madison Scouts in prelims)

1984 - 7th

1985 - 6th

1986 - 5th (won Field Brass at finals)

1987 - 9th

1988 - 10th (still, and yes, I am biased, but the best 10th place corps, ever)

1989 - 9th

1990 - Fold

RIP Suncoast, we hardly knew ye.

IIRC, the Like is mostly 1st and open valves...with the 2nd valve coming in as the end of the phrase descends. Randy....do you still have that bar or 2 of the music?

it looks easy...it's just moving one valve for teh most part...but those are teh ind of phrases that are VERY easy to rush....and The Lick was clean clean clean!

Everyone is correct...unison lick. The notes are: F E F G F E D C D C Bb A Bb G. As you can see, the 2nd valve does come in at the end.

Something else...in watchign the video, one of teh DMs is turning something between thr drum feature and MIM....what did the letters FYM stand for? They were painted on it.

:tongue:

Not family friendly.