Drum corps popularity in the general public

I thought this might be an interesting subject for conversation.

They televise everything from sports to wrestling to to the most ridiculous talk shows imaginable. Jerry springer for instance.~rolls eyes~

Why has drum corps never gained the popularity it deserves?

I had a hideous thought this morning. I really can't believe I'm saying this but, Maybe George Hopkins is just trying a new formula?

A desperate attempt to add something new to possibly give drum corps a new boost.

What we've done so far, hasn't had an effect, toward getting the general public interested in what we do.

Drum corps is entertainment! It's also a sport.

Blast was a success. They found a way. And as far as I know they play to packed houses. But they also utilize instruments that are not allowed in the drum corps arena.

I was curious if there were any other groups that have tried stylizing their performances as Blast has done. As a means of reaching the general public.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, try adding guitars, bass and vocals (not the bizarre DCI kind, no offense). Maybe eliminate most of the horns, add saxes. In other words, don't be a drum corps anymore..... This is a complete exxageration of course, but you get my point. ($1 to Gieco)

Edited by Mike_B

I thought this might be an interesting subject for conversation.

They televise everything from sports to wrestling to to the most ridiculous talk shows imaginable. Jerry springer for instance.~rolls eyes~

Why has drum corps never gained the popularity it deserves?

I had a hideous thought this morning. I really can't believe I'm saying this but, Maybe George Hopkins is just trying a new formula?

A desperate attempt to add something new to possibly give drum corps a new boost.

What we've done so far, hasn't had an effect, toward getting the general public interested in what we do.

Drum corps is entertainment! It's also a sport.

Blast was a success. They found a way. And as far as I know they play to packed houses. But they also utilize instruments that are not allowed in the drum corps arena.

I was curious if there were any other groups that have tried stylizing their performances as Blast has done. As a means of reaching the general public.

Cindy...........It's called Capitalism. If there was/is a way to generate revenue for the upper income percentile through marketing it would be a done deal. Our activity, to me, is the greatest thing since the preverbial sliced bread theory. I guess we have to be content with our own satisfaction that we enjoy what we do.

I'm sure the late GREAT Col. (Dad to you) would see it that way.

Edited by melligene

Television brings about a whole host of problems.

For Jr. corps there's child labor laws.

Do you pay the participants? Do they have to be musician's union members? who pays the license fees for the songs to be played. Was permission obtained to play AND record the music?

I'm sure there are people in the industry that could add more and more obstacles.

Lastly, most people see it as geeky.

The heck with them!

We 'HAD' a great thing at one time between 1950-1980. It eventually was assimilated into the HS bands and in the genius of the national organizations succumed to a national approach rather than a region one.DCI was always on PBS, sometimes DCA,CYO and VFW.Add friction between local groups and it is all but gone. Though we have national organizations promoting their few great quality programs, no one is taking the lead ( except maybe Chris Green) to get more groups started and growing. More and more young people go out for Band on every level,and indoor winter programs and then just never go on. Those of us who try to get something going, deal with the indiffernce and lack of support until we're worthy of attention.Just as sad too!

Edited by jeff danchik

I don't want anyone to get the impression I approve of what's become of drum corps.

The thought of amplification being added is almost like a nightmare.I couldn't believe my eyes

when I received the last drum corps world in the mail.

I don't want anyone to get the impression I approve of what's become of drum corps.

The thought of amplification being added is almost like a nightmare.I couldn't believe my eyes

What a shock that was. I read and said it will happen and then what do we do???

We 'HAD' a great thing at one time between 1950-1980. It eventually was assimilated into the HS bands and in the genius of the national organizations succumed to a national approach rather than a region one.DCI was always on PBS, sometimes DCA,CYO and VFW.Add friction between local groups and it is all but gone. Though we have national organizations promoting their few great quality programs, no one is taking the lead ( except maybe Chris Green) to get more groups started and growing. More and more young people go out for Band on every level,and indoor winter programs and then just never go on. Those of us who try to get something going, deal with the indiffernce and lack of support until we're worthy of attention.Just as sad too!

That's what it has really come down to. Marginalizing the regional circuits that allowed smaller local groups to grow and develop has left us with but a handful of super corps and then "the rest." And as the rich get richer, the poor get, well you know.

Besides, Blast! found a way to be successful in front of mainstream audiences by playing familiar music. I'm just looking at DCI's Top 12 from 2007, and I have to say that while I loved Cavies and Crown, I wouldn't care to hear most of the shows again. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the talent of design and performance demonstrated on the field, but I just wasn't entertained.

I'm not trying to start any debates about what should and shouldn't be allowed in drum corps; but let's look at things from a different angle: there are many people who no longer want to see a drum corps show because of recent rule changes (Bb, amps, vocals, take your pick.) However, how many current fans would not love drum corps as much if these things HADN'T been added? I think that's the answer.

Blast! was successful because it gave the audiences what they wanted to see. If more people want to see "The William Tell Overture" as opposed to someone talking about what happens when they put their trumpet to their face over top of the corps playing Nelhybel's "Symphonic Movement", then don't be surprised that the activity is not for the mainstream audiences anymore.

And they tell us woodwinds won't happen.

DCI killed drum and bugle corps.

I remember when the movie "Drumline" came out, and how it somewhat created a big drumline craze. Drumlines were being featured in music videos, television adds, the super bowl halftime show, etc. The public just loved the idea and they still do now. The slogan for DCI on espn was practically stolen from the movie: "halftime is gametime" - "halftime is now the game"

I don't know what the activity should do in order to be seen in a better light. I think the public doesn't identify with it because the public really isn't interested in music in the first place. Our kind of music just isn't "cool" enough to draw average people in. I don't want to see the activity change to accomodate this fact because then the integrity of what we are doing is lost. The only way I know this activity becomes popular is if more people are exposed to what it is, because once they see it, they are ususually hooked. We are getting more exposure, but the activity just shouldn't be compromised in order to do it.