Drum corps popularity in the general public

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the activity should do in order to be seen in a better light. I think the public doesn't identify with it because the public really isn't interested in music in the first place. Our kind of music just isn't "cool" enough to draw average people in. I don't want to see the activity change to accomodate this fact because then the integrity of what we are doing is lost. The only way I know this activity becomes popular is if more people are exposed to what it is, because once they see it, they are ususually hooked. We are getting more exposure, but the activity just shouldn't be compromised in order to do it.

you said it much better than I did, couldn't agree more.

Besides, Blast! found a way to be successful in front of mainstream audiences by playing familiar music.

Very good point.

Fran

Is Blast drumcorps or Theatre? Blast,drumline,competetive band, indoor programs,etc.All flowers grafted and thriving, from a nearly dead plant!

I don't think that drum corps was ever really marketed toward the general public with the exception of a few notable times that I can remember.

Blast is the metamorphosis of corps into theater. It is a creative step in evolution of the activity. I think Blast is totally bad ### and I fell off my chair when I watched the DVD my mom sent me. So what has driven this drum corps evolution? I believe it is the human need to try something new. Some people are in the position to change DC and have the ego to do it. Ego meaning that they believe they are on the cutting edge of drum corps, “The State of Art”, always pushing the envelope. I truly don’t believe that any of this is malicious. It just is what it is. Some people are going to get left behind and some are going to adapt. I have been out of the game for about 20 years and just started getting on DCP for less then a month now and it is totally amazing to me the changes that have occurred.

One poster in this thread stated that Blast plays songs mainstream people know. I thing some corps employed the same thing. Look at the standing-o’s the Troopers got every time they brought back Battle Hymn. Many corps had their classics that people liked to see brought back. I believe that very large numbers of people needs repetition in their music. Look at the Top 40 Charts and what percentage of the population listens to that? How many times does one hear those songs on the radio? Once a day? Twice a day?

I guess my point is that tradition is familiar to people and what they expect. They need the “familiar” to be comfortable. Look at Johnny Carson, David Lettermen, or Jay Leno. How many times have their formats changed over the years? Reading through all these different threads here on DCP one can find lots history about the changes and the animosity it has caused in the activity. DC needs to find a way to grow and still maintain its “identity”, its “tradition”, a “familiar feeling to the fans”, what ever you want to call it… That is no easy task.

I don't think that drum corps was ever really marketed toward the general public with the exception of a few notable times that I can remember.

Maybe not. But you have to admit that it was a much bigger part of American culture some years ago. Local shows had larger crowds that were actually excited about the spectacle they were going to see. Most of the folks in attendance probably knew a good protion of the performers on the field because they were from that town.

One poster in this thread stated that Blast plays songs mainstream people know. I thing some corps employed the same thing. Look at the standing-o’s the Troopers got every time they brought back Battle Hymn. Many corps had their classics that people liked to see brought back. I believe that very large numbers of people needs repetition in their music. Look at the Top 40 Charts and what percentage of the population listens to that? How many times does one hear those songs on the radio? Once a day? Twice a day?

That's kinda what I was getting at. But I think it goes a little deeper than that for me. For example: when Madison played their 1998 show, athough I knew "In the Hall of the Mountain King," I had never heard it done as the "Swingin' Pete" version. The rest of that show was totally new to me too. "Lupin" and "Rememberence:" I had never heard either before, but they became favorites of mine because they were enjoyable to listen to. I know I have to respect others' tastes. Lot's of people like the other stuff being put out on the field these days, but (and call me old fashioned), I want to hear drum corps music that actually has a bloody melody line. Doesn't have to be the same thing I've heard a million times, just something I can whistle as I walk out of the stadium to my car. "Strawberry Soup" comes to mind. Not something one would hear everyday, but most would probably consider it a "classic." Has a great melody and a driving rhythm. (And no talking, lol!)

misread a comment, never mind... :ninja:

Edited by SaraNYC

ok i know the young ones will bash me but this is why. back in the day drum corps played music that was very loud and rousing. it got people excited. drum corps flourished when the country was patriotic. the country is not today . we played patriotic music. they don't today. drum corps is interested in props and difficulty. people are not that sofisticated. and all this fast tempo is what marching band used to be and quite frankly people think that's geeky. listen to cabs, sky, hurs, rebels, cru, and brigs from the sixties. now that got people excited. the stuff today is different and dosen't raise the same emotions like back in the day. that's some of why. ok kids you can bash me now.

I'm 24, and agree with most of what you said.