RIP, drum corps I knew

He said second sopranos. You can amplify 12 horn players. That should be enough to cover the second sopranos....

You might recall when you and I were on one side saying amplification carried a bag of trouble because the sound from the PA wouldn't sit well with the acoustic sound of the brass and drums. I said at the time they will find out they will have to mic the horns and drums to make them equal and here we have the first step. Next the whole corps will be miced. Just watch, it will happen.

Regards,

John

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DISCLAIMER: I'm not Conner

You might recall when you and I were on one side saying amplification carried a bag of trouble because the sound from the PA wouldn't sit well with the acoustic sound of the brass and drums. I said at the time they will find out they will have to mic the horns and drums to make them equal and here we have the first step. Next the whole corps will be miced. Just watch, it will happen.

Regards,

John

Inconceivable, but probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edited by PhantomR

The only way to voice our displeasure and get them to take notice is if thousands of fans walk away and stay away. Other then that we can come on here and complain all day and it's not gonna do anybody any good, except for maybe talk therapy... :ninja:

What I'm surprised about is the Cavaliers director is not on the nine list. OR SCV...WOW!

Edited by Lancerlady

DISCLAIMER: I'm not Conner

Inconceivable, but probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah, just play the right note with good tone. The folks at the mixing board will worry about getting the right volume to blend with the rest of the corps. Part of this all is educational right. :ninja:

Re:Pioneer - DonnyA also posted that Pioneer had problems with horn scores because the line had different manufacturers (mixed line) which hurt the blend.

Yeah, just play the right note with good tone. The folks at the mixing board will worry about getting the right volume to blend with the rest of the corps. Part of this all is educational right. :ninja:

Show me the man who can mix 72 individual channels of horn players, analyze their volume, velocity, direction, and location on the feild in real time while marching todays drill. And then, tell me why he'd be wasting his time playing with a drum corps.

But I suppose you do have a point; There really is nothing more to add to this conversation.

I never saw Pioneer boo'd at any show, yet the top 6 placing Cadets in 2006 got boo'd at almost every show I attended (which was at least 6). I get tired of hearing about how this activity is for kids and hearing George Hopkins complain about it when they get boo'd. Let's just make it a little more hoeky and cheesy and add some more extention chords.

If we see woodwinds and string instrumentation passed, what's left? Will there now be the perfect marching ensemble once the dust settles? Or will the more logical prediction be that DCI will become stale and stagnate, dying out thanks to selling out? From a business standpoint, who wants to pay a ridiculous tour fee to march what they can already be apart of?

But then again, amplification is not unpopular and neither will electronics, because all changes are good changes for the activity.

not conner

Are you kidding me? Please tell me you're joking. This post is honestly as wrong as a person can get. Have you ever taken a physics class? Do you know ANYTHING about acoustics, sound production, or even what an overtone is? Of course electronic instruments can produce overtones!

And for the record, you are absolutely correct. No debate there. Sound changes its characteristics whether it's passed through an amp, or played through an amp, but by no means whatsoever must an overtone be stripped simply because it's electronic.

I hope that drum corps can stay afloat and be successful. I dont wish any ill towards DCI...but the exclusion of woodwinds is pretty much the only thing separating DCI from BOA.

Just look back 10 years ago...there was a pretty thick wall between the two circuits...how thick is that wall now?

I used to love how tasteful and innovative Drum Corps shows were.

It is not that I am against electronics/amps/guitars. I think high school marching bands do some great things with those "innovations". I have seen some great shows.

It is just that I am against such things in DCI. There were things that I went to a band show expecting to see...and there were things that I went to a drum corps show expecting to see.

There was a certain "purity" to drum corps that I feel has began to wane.

I used to think it was amazing how corps could create so many colors with brass, drums and flags...and they still can...its just that I dont feel as impressed (yes...I know the kids work insanely hard) because they have so many extra tools to help get the job done.

I have been pretty open minded to the adjustments that DCI has made in the past few years...however...electronic instruments is where I draw the line.

My interest in the activity (in its current state) is pretty much non-existent now. The experience that I enjoyed is no longer there anymore.

I dont care what anyone says..and feel free to slap me...but I think amped vocals in a show is cheesy and bando.

Not trying to be preaching...just putting in my two cents.

I guess I should ask though...is anyone really surprised? This slippery slope has been moving for years.

I am not surprised. The sequence of changes over the past decade or so made the eventual inclusion of electronics, voice, brass amplification, etc. unfortunately inevitable.

Am I the only one eagerly waiting for the very first electric violin solo in drum corps? Seriously, just think about something like this backed up by a massive hornline:

(FYI, I'm actually not that thrilled about the electronics rule being passed, but I'm trying to make the best of it.)

I would say... Yea pretty much... But this link might be more appropriate. It has less loop tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCdH5ipBb5k