RIP, drum corps I knew

I posted something similar before, but my personal feeling is DCI is moving too fast, to soon. Amps still arn't a judged factor in shows and now they add to it.

Somebody tried to address that with some rules proposals, which the "instructors" killed before it could be debated at the board level. They don't want that dealt with. They want as much freedom and creativity off of the judging sheets as possible, apparently. DCI is going to be in a mess because they have implemented changes without any real accounting for them and instead of fixing that, they bring in more changes that will also have no clear accounting for them in the adjudication of the activity. Might as well just throw judging out completely.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Use of electronic instruments (for 2009 implementation)

In discussion prior to the vote, George Hopkins spoke of a presentation offered on Saturday by the Tarpon Springs High School band, which demonstrated the possibilities and logistical concerns of electronics on the field.... "

I've seen Tarpon's show past few years in my kid's circuit. Gosh forbid this is preview of things to come. A actual 'stage' backfield for electronic trapset drummer, keyboard, etc. NO battery/drumline; basically a theatrical production, yet it was "scored" with/against traditional bands. Their approach is largely close or over the top of even BOA circuit groups. This is IMHO very different animal from Drum Corps...

DCA / All-age starting to look more and more attractive.

I already got it down with exception of sucking at the eggbeater -- tried to teach it to you guys Friday nite anticipating potential meltdown -- I say in jest of course given our emotional fun-packed weekend. This thread just seemed to be better place to get confrontational :thumbup:

All in love brother!

All these recent rule decisions have made me reminiscent of a quote from the movie "Stand By Me".

"And *Hopkins* just sat back and enjoyed what he created. A complete and total barforama."

Despite my opposition to the rules changes (and my disappointment that my proposals went down in flames - even though that's precicely what I expected would occur), this comment is a bit uncalled for. Keep in mind that there were 11 votes in favor or electronics and amped brass, and only 7 against. There were 10 other voting members that voted in favor of these rules. It's not just one person.

This won't change anything... the people who speak against these changes and speak of protests and how DCI will listen to them based on their actions, attendance falling, protesting buying suvi's, or donating to corps, said the same things when amps were first past and DCI has still survived and it will now.

electronic music has less overtones because it is built closer to the simple tone, the theoretical computer-generated pitch with no overtones.

You seem to be referring to Fourier Synthesis, but have forgotten the terminology. Any complex waveform can be analyzed as the sum of a number of syne waves.

The most familiar direct application of this principle was the Hammond Organ. [How could we have made it through the early 70s without "Green-eyed Lady" and "Whiter Shade of Pale"?]

But that is not the technical basis of the current over-the-counter electronics that will be utilized by the DCI units. The analog synths of the later 70s and the FM synths of the early 80s have been supplanted by sampling instruments. Virtually everything marketed today originates with a digitally recorded sample of another instrument. As such, the full range of the overtones (which define the timbre of the sound) is quite well represented. In the context of a field performance, it will be hard to tell the Live from the Memorex.

You seem to be referring to Fourier Synthesis, but have forgotten the terminology. Any complex waveform can be analyzed as the sum of a number of syne waves.

The most familiar direct application of this principle was the Hammond Organ. [How could we have made it through the early 70s without "Green-eyed Lady" and "Whiter Shade of Pale"?]

But that is not the technical basis of the current over-the-counter electronics that will be utilized by the DCI units. The analog synths of the later 70s and the FM synths of the early 80s have been supplanted by sampling instruments. Virtually everything marketed today originates with a digitally recorded sample of another instrument. As such, the full range of the overtones (which define the timbre of the sound) is quite well represented. In the context of a field performance, it will be hard to tell the Live from the Memorex.

Very true -- you've pretty much encapsulated it. Synthesis is literal creation of sound based on rules in a computer. Sampling is playing back a pre-recorded sound, adjusting it for pitch and volume (and more) in real time as necessary. Back when you were talking about tube synths, maybe that's more what you were talking about... even those have been faithfully reproduced either by computer software synths, or samplers.

Here is a link to a java script that will do that for you...

http://home.fuse.net/clymer/graphs/fourier.html

That's what they said about amps, too. $6,000 isn't even close. That's not the point anyhow. The sound will forever be different. For the first time in the history of the activity, members will produce non-acoustic sounds. They will be pre-recorded sounds, or synthetic sounds. Through speakers.

For all of you suggesting that this isn't a truly monumental shift, think about it this way. For the first time since drum corps was invented, members will NOT be responsible for the quality of their sound. It will come from an electric box.

If you think that's not staggeringly different, you're not in reality.

Agree 100,000%

Am I the only one eagerly waiting for the very first electric violin solo in drum corps? Seriously, just think about something like this backed up by a massive hornline:

Great! Let's go to the symphony. Oh wait, they don't mic individual string instruments there, either. DOH!