• 5 months later...
  • Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was before 1976!

:worthy:

It's pretty obscure, so I'll tell you:

It was the Kingston Grenadiers in 1973...

An old string but a new answer. It was the Blue Saints from Sudbury, Ont in 1958 or 59...I was there!!!! :worthy:

• 1 year later...
In 1963, which junior corps had identical twins as Drum Majors?

Did anybody answer the twins question???

Spectacle City Mariners. I know I'm probably going to spell this wrong - the Brazzele brother?

MORE TRIVIA

1. Speaking of AL and VFW champions, which multi-champion corps in the 60s had a business manager named Jim Jones?

Chicago Cavaliers

Hi Jeff. It's you or no? It's me, Linda, saying hi! read my sig red, blue, orange and green :-)

It is ... and I know EXACTLY who you are. Are you still out west? My brother and I keep in touch with Rich Bruton (i.e. Cardinals, Opti and Cavies), Gary Gomez, Mike Game and George Wright. If you're in Edmonton, you should look up Tom Gulas. As a matter of fact, I just spoke to him over the Christmas holidays.

I do enjoy reading your posts as you were with Firefighters before I joined them. I also knew about your experiences with the Alberta Girls but don't remember you marching in Oakies. By that time, I had moved over to Opti and quit before the May camp in 76 as I really didn't like the merger. I took that summer off and marched my last two years of junior eligiblity with the Cavaliers and I marched with their alumni corps in 2008. I spent a few years with the Kingston Grenadiers as my brother and his family were marching with them in the mid 90's through 2000.

Drum corps is 'a disease' ... and I've had it bad since 1970! I keep my chops up playing timpani and percussion with a very good amatuer orchestra in Mississauga. As a matter of fact, we have a concert this coming Saturday evening (i.e. a Berlioz overture, the Khachaturian Piano Concerto and Shostakovich's 1st Symphony).

Good to hear from you.

It is ... and I know EXACTLY who you are. Are you still out west? My brother and I keep in touch with Rich Bruton (i.e. Cardinals, Opti and Cavies), Gary Gomez, Mike Game and George Wright. If you're in Edmonton, you should look up Tom Gulas. As a matter of fact, I just spoke to him over the Christmas holidays.

I do enjoy reading your posts as you were with Firefighters before I joined them. I also knew about your experiences with the Alberta Girls but don't remember you marching in Oakies. By that time, I had moved over to Opti and quit before the May camp in 76 as I really didn't like the merger. I took that summer off and marched my last two years of junior eligiblity with the Cavaliers and I marched with their alumni corps in 2008. I spent a few years with the Kingston Grenadiers as my brother and his family were marching with them in the mid 90's through 2000.

Drum corps is 'a disease' ... and I've had it bad since 1970! I keep my chops up playing timpani and percussion with a very good amatuer orchestra in Mississauga. As a matter of fact, we have a concert this coming Saturday evening (i.e. a Berlioz overture, the Khachaturian Piano Concerto and Shostakovich's 1st Symphony).

Good to hear from you.

Good to hear from you too, Jeff and yes, I'm close to Edmonton. So as to stay on topic, here's 3 trivia questions and answers.

1) Who was your tough and demanding drum major 1972 - 1975 inclusive?

Me! (no worries, I'm kinder and gentler now) :tongue:

2) Who was a drum corps contra bass player in the 70's and a talented singer in the 80's?

Tom Gulas (myself and a few Alberta All Girls friends would attend his performances with the Edmonton Opera)

3) Who tried to quit marching drum corps spring of 74, spring of 75, 76, 77, 78, 79?

Me again! (everytime I tried to quit, I went back. I was addicted to drum corps. I started teaching guard winter of 71 and kept going most years until 1988. After that, I was a secret spinner. While doing chores and more, I'd spin spatulas, mops, brooms, rakes, shovels, baseball bats and hockey sticks. I'll admit it. I miss drum corps!)

I went to an Opti practise early May 1976. Peter B. asked me to be DM. I said no 'cause I was a staff member with Dutch Boy and planned to tour with them. Late June Tony Cap. asked me to march spare flag with Oakland Crusaders. I toured with 2 corps that summer, 2 weeks Dutch Boy, 2 weeks Oakland Crusaders and so on. I'm glad you aged out with Cavaliers. You and I were 2 of a few that marched till 21. Most were done by 18 and I'm happy you're still playing. Have fun Saturday evening. I applaud you.

MORE TRIVIA

1. Speaking of AL and VFW champions, which multi-champion corps in the 60s had a business manager named Jim Jones?

2. What drumcorps did the first full-corps form rotation?

3. What year did the Racine Kilties first play Chattanooga Choo-Choo?

4. What junior corps first popularized the expanding circle drill formation?

5. And in keeping with the theme of this quiz: What sporting event this weekend will attract a worldwide television audience of over 200 million?

Hi HornsUp. I read 40 pages, most of the questions were answered but could you give the answers to all the questions, please? Thanks :-)

Hi HornsUp. I read 40 pages, most of the questions were answered but could you give the answers to all the questions, please? Thanks :-)

Answer to #1 - The Cavaliers and to #4 - The Troopers.

Man, it must have been LOUD in Lucas Oil Stadium last August on the night of Finals. As I said to a few of my 'brothers', it's unfortunate Madison didn't make it to the top 12. If they had, all five of the Combine corps would have been in! Maybe next year?

Linda, as for your 'personal quiz' goes, I knew all of the answers. I still do some of the isometric exercises you taught is in 73. Speaking about 73, even though we won Nationals in 74 and didn't even make the field the finals show that year, 73 was the most fun I had in Seneca. We had a great bass drum section, got to march with my brother in the same section (which we did again in 2000 with the Grenadiers), had nice parts to play and a played a REALLY great selection of music.

Paula Renaud says hi. I still see her at Cardinals reunions and we e-mail back and forth once or so each month. It's mostly jokes, but the occasional piece of news. She actually wrote to me today to send a copy of Dave Parker's obituary. I'm pretty sure he worked with us in 74 didn't he? Certainly in the off season.

Edited by A Cavalier TDY

Answer to #1 - The Cavaliers and to #4 - The Troopers.

Man, it must have been LOUD in Lucas Oil Stadium last August on the night of Finals. As I said to a few of my 'brothers', it's unfortunate Madison didn't make it to the top 12. If they had, all five of the Combine corps would have been in! Maybe next year?

Linda, as for your 'personal quiz' goes, I knew all of the answers. I still do some of the isometric exercises you taught is in 73. Speaking about 73, even though we won Nationals in 74 and didn't even make the field the finals show that year, 73 was the most fun I had in Seneca. We had a great bass drum section, got to march with my brother in the same section (which we did again in 2000 with the Grenadiers), had nice parts to play and a played a REALLY great selection of music.

Paula Renaud says hi. I still see her at Cardinals reunions and we e-mail back and forth once or so each month. It's mostly jokes, but the occasional piece of news. She actually wrote to me today to send a copy of Dave Parker's obituary. I'm pretty sure he worked with us in 74 didn't he? Certainly in the off season.

Canada's Dave Parker died? If it's the Dave Parker I knew well I would appreciate someone posting the obituary...

and the answer to the first full form rotation is Les Diplomats. The first time I saw it I wanted to run on the field and ask them to do it again so I could see how they did it...