Drum Corps Trivia

Linda, I remember Princemen (at their home show) playing "Smoke On Water" with timps as the corps came on the field. That was a good corps. I think 1975 you came to our indoor show too in North Tonawanda.

Sorry to take a long time to reply, Jeff. I’ve scrapbooks from 1969-1972 and next to nothing from 1973-1975. I do remember John’s cast, he had to rip the inner seam to get his uniform pants on. I vaguely remember either a snare drummer or contra player with an arm cast a year or so before. Ouch! Off topic; I was raised downtown T.O. Lambert and Tom took me river canoeing one day. I was in awe at the beauty of nature. They yelled “Duck!” I looked around for water fowl and the canoe came to a stop. Tom and Lambert were laying low in the canoe while my hair was caught in brambles. We had a good laugh as they helped take twigs out of the hair of their DM having a blonde moment. :tongue:

From what I’ve read Vicki Drummond was DM 1971-1974; I was DM 1972-1975. There weren’t many solo female drum majors in co-ed junior corps in 1972. We may have had similar styles ‘cause we were from pre-podium era. I remember having to conduct with arms high so y’all could see me and I wandered around the field a lot. My role model was Carol Hopkins, our guard captain 69-70. I was guard captain winter 71-72 and assigned the DM role April 72. I felt like a fish out of water until my first DM trophy early in the season whereupon I felt really awkward ‘cause the big trophy was my bus buddy goin’ home. Yikes! It took me a few years to grow into the DM role.

I have our tentative tour schedule from 1974 and 1975 but not from 1973; vaguely recall the Pow Wow but remember Watkins Glen well. I found our 1973 repertoire in 2 contest programs. 1st program Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Slaughter on 10th Avenue, Auld Lang Syne, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Impossible Dream. 2nd program Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Norwegian Woods, Something, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Day by Day. The 3 selections that I enjoyed conducting were Norwegian Wood, Something and Russian Sailors’ Dance. You and I should collaborate and exchange notes. I really liked your article, ‘a trip down memory lane’ published April 2004. Here’s a little something from my 1970 scrapbook;

70-dca-prelims-a.jpg

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don said:

"iremeber having watched the show after we finished and i thought the rebels were gonna win. we were all pulling for cabs that night. we were right next to the cabs and when they won we turned and clapped to the cabs. it was a great night for you guy's john. big, big win!!!"

Yes, Don, you are absolutely right. That was a very big win for us, having come 'from the depths' of DCA competition with numerous last-place finishes in five and six-corps contests the year before. The whole 1970 season we worked hard as we first established respectablility, then excellence. The Rebels were the corps to beat that year, no question. After taking a few first places in the second half of the season, including the Dream, we knew we had a shot at the DCA title. Great memories, to be sure.

Sorry to take a long time to reply, Jeff. I’ve scrapbooks from 1969-1972 and next to nothing from 1973-1975. I do remember John’s cast, he had to rip the inner seam to get his uniform pants on. I vaguely remember either a snare drummer or contra player with an arm cast a year or so before. Ouch! Off topic; I was raised downtown T.O. Lambert and Tom took me river canoeing one day. I was in awe at the beauty of nature. They yelled “Duck!” I looked around for water fowl and the canoe came to a stop. Tom and Lambert were laying low in the canoe while my hair was caught in brambles. We had a good laugh as they helped take twigs out of the hair of their DM having a blonde moment. :worthy:

From what I’ve read Vicki Drummond was DM 1971-1974; I was DM 1972-1975. There weren’t many solo female drum majors in co-ed junior corps in 1972. We may have had similar styles ‘cause we were from pre-podium era. I remember having to conduct with arms high so y’all could see me and I wandered around the field a lot. My role model was Carol Hopkins, our guard captain 69-70. I was guard captain winter 71-72 and assigned the DM role April 72. I felt like a fish out of water until my first DM trophy early in the season whereupon I felt really awkward ‘cause the big trophy was my bus buddy goin’ home. Yikes! It took me a few years to grow into the DM role.

I have our tentative tour schedule from 1974 and 1975 but not from 1973; vaguely recall the Pow Wow but remember Watkins Glen well. I found our 1973 repertoire in 2 contest programs. 1st program Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Slaughter on 10th Avenue, Auld Lang Syne, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Impossible Dream. 2nd program Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Norwegian Woods, Something, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Day by Day. The 3 selections that I enjoyed conducting were Norwegian Wood, Something and Russian Sailors’ Dance. You and I should collaborate and exchange notes. I really liked your article, ‘a trip down memory lane’ published April 2004. Here’s a little something from my 1970 scrapbook;

70-dca-prelims-a.jpg

Watkins Glen holds lots of great memories. My brother, the Gallaghers and I stayed with the Miller family. They had three kids in the corps, the eldest was in their lead soprano line. I think I still have the Seneca Street sign. Am I allowed to say that?

You spoke about the pre podium days. How did the Optimists get around that rule? I seem to remember Mike Arsenault using one in the early 70's (72 maybe).

Here's an oldie ... didn't Firefighters use California Dreamin' as their closer in 1970? Always loved your closer in 71 too.

Watkins Glen holds lots of great memories. My brother, the Gallaghers and I stayed with the Miller family. They had three kids in the corps, the eldest was in their lead soprano line. I think I still have the Seneca Street sign. Am I allowed to say that?

You spoke about the pre podium days. How did the Optimists get around that rule? I seem to remember Mike Arsenault using one in the early 70's (72 maybe).

Here's an oldie ... didn't Firefighters use California Dreamin' as their closer in 1970? Always loved your closer in 71 too.

the 1st use of a podium in DCA was 1970. all it was, was a one step wood box just big enough to stand on. i think DCA supplied it.

In 70 and 71 we played Time of the Season by the Zombies (which may have included California Dreaming as a medley) followed by our signature piece, Scarborough Fair as our closer (which was also the name of our annual contest). What was published in a program wasn't always what we played.

Gallaghers, Hopkins, Hubbards, Lemmons, Mortons, Molloys to name a few families, wow long time ago, Jeff... My brother marched in Del 71 or 72 to 73 or 74, 2 or 3 years. I read the weather's good your way; have a Good Friday and a great weekend :-)

edit: Hey jeff, do you keep in touch with Mike Arsenault? He was good people.

Edited by lindap

the 1st use of a podium in DCA was 1970. all it was, was a one step wood box just big enough to stand on. i think DCA supplied it.

I remember seeing the little box on the 50 at a few contests and tried using it in 1973 during concert but always jumped off after a few bars of music. Once a roaming DM, always a roaming DM plus I was a high-knees-mark-time style DM. In the late 60's-early 70's, we'd often be at contests or parades with Guelph Royalaires, Preston Scout House and Canadian Commanders, all with distinctive DM styles.

On August 15 1970, Scarborough Firefighters had a consultant attend an all day rehearsal to re-write our drill in the second half of our program. At finals September 12, 1970 held in Varsity Stadium; he was there to cheer us on. Our consultant was Mr. Vince Bruni. :worthy: My notes also say Mr. Bruni consulted Canada's Marching Ambassadors that same summer. Have a wonderful weekend Don.

Wow Don ... I don't recall NY using one until about 75-76 ... never saw Winky on one ... and my Haas video tape of 73 Sky still shows Butch on the ground conducting ... was it an optional thing in 70 ... I just don't remember them being used that early ... not to say that they weren't ... maybe someone has some pics ...

:-)

Wow Don ... I don't recall NY using one until about 75-76 ... never saw Winky on one ... and my Haas video tape of 73 Sky still shows Butch on the ground conducting ... was it an optional thing in 70 ... I just don't remember them being used that early ... not to say that they weren't ... maybe someone has some pics ...

:-)

i don't think winky ever used it. and yes it was an option. alan smythe was so short that he used it in 1970. i think you can see it in the 1970 prelims on the haas vids. or go to cabs site and look at 1970 prelim vid. it was a little black box with a step on it. in fact i think bruni had it made. i know it was always on our equipment truck.

The first podium in DCA was indeed 1970. It was made for none other than Jim Russo who became our drum major that year. Ralph Silverbrand and Chuck Bishop were both very tall men who were easily seen by the whole corps. After complaints of "We can't see you, Jimmy!" the corps support staff, led by Joe Campos, built the first one. It was actually two steps off the ground, a wooden box painted red and black, and had a sombrero silhouette on the sides.

I believe the first time they put it on the sideline, we were protested immediately, but the chief judge (either Walter Kelly or Mickey Petrone), said they could find nothing in the rules to prohibit it, as long as it wasn't on the competition field. Crusaders may have followed soon after, but Jimmy had the first one ever.

The first podium in DCA was indeed 1970. It was made for none other than Jim Russo who became our drum major that year. Ralph Silverbrand and Chuck Bishop were both very tall men who were easily seen by the whole corps. After complaints of "We can't see you, Jimmy!" the corps support staff, led by Joe Campos, built the first one. It was actually two steps off the ground, a wooden box painted red and black, and had a sombrero silhouette on the sides.

I believe the first time they put it on the sideline, we were protested immediately, but the chief judge (either Walter Kelly or Mickey Petrone), said they could find nothing in the rules to prohibit it, as long as it wasn't on the competition field. Crusaders may have followed soon after, but Jimmy had the first one ever.

What do you know?

I marched in a Sea Cadet band in Toronto in the late 60's and early 70's and seem to remember seeing a senior competition after a parade in either 70 or 71. It was held at Exhibition Stadium (i.e. Canadian National Exhibition) and I'm SURE the Cabs were there. I've never seen anything about it. Does anyone remember coming to Toronto in those years?

Edited by A Cavalier TDY