Drum Corps Trivia

What do you know?

I marched in a Sea Cadet band in Toronto in the late 60's and early 70's and seem to remember seeing a senior competition after a parade in either 70 or 71. It was held at Exhibition Stadium (i.e. Canadian National Exhibition) and I'm SURE the Cabs were there. I've never seen anything about it. Does anyone remember coming to Toronto in those years?

Sea Cadets, cool. I worked at Fort York Armoury summer of 74. From my scrapbooks, August 29, 1970 Toronto Optimists were in Titusville PA and on August 30, 1970 Firefighters were in Syracuse NY; Scarborough Firefighters went to Penn-York Championships, Corning NY Sat. Sept. 5, 1970, attended DCA prelims, Rochester NY Sun. Sept. 6, 1970 and on Mon. Sept. 7 we were in the Toronto Labour Day parade.

More scrapbook notes "In 1969 we were in competition with other Jr. B corps at the Canandian National Exhibition. It was warm; an afternoon show. In 1970 we didn't go to the show at the Ex because it was a Sr. corps competition but we did the parade...On August 28, 1971, the drum corps exhibition show at the Ex was rainy and muddy; the long labour day parade was on Sept. 6, 1971." A 1971 newspaper clip says 'an estimated 50,000 people lined the parade route along Queen to Dufferin Sts and west on Dufferin for the finish at the CNE Grandstand...highlights were 15 floats, 20 bands, 3 drum corps and 3 groups of majorettes.'

Here's a newspaper clip from 1970. The show was supposed to be on Sept. 7 but changed to Sept. 5. If 1970 was a Sr. corps show at the Ex. and DCA finals was the day after, I wonder who was there? Rochester's not far from T.O.; I may also have been in the stands, Jeff. It was a short subway and streetcar ride away :-)

1970-cne1-a.jpg

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a newspaper clip from 1970. The show was supposed to be on Sept. 7 but changed to Sept. 5. If 1970 was a Sr. corps show at the Ex. and DCA finals was the day after, I wonder who was there?

The Hurcs won the show ... Cabs were second ... Sky was there but I can't remember where we finished ... If I had to guess, the Dips and Rochester or Sun probably filled out the slate ... no scores for the show are listed on Corpsreps ... maybe Fish can fill in the blanks ...

:-)

The Hurcs won the show ... Cabs were second ... Sky was there but I can't remember where we finished ... If I had to guess, the Dips and Rochester or Sun probably filled out the slate ... no scores for the show are listed on Corpsreps ... maybe Fish can fill in the blanks ...

:-)

crusaders were not there in 1970.

RE: The September 5, 1970 show in Toronto: Sunrisers were definitely in that show. I remember watching them from backfield. I don't remember if the Diplomates were there.

We were in a near panic before we went on, because the carrier/harness of one of our double tenors broke as we were lining up. An emergency temporary fix (I think with duct tape and a coat hanger!) held them together for that night. I also very clearly recall seeing Les Chatelaines All-Girls junior corps lining up to go on in exhibition.

The year before, I think we also had a contest the night before DCA, and also in Toronto. But, that one was held in a small high school stadium. I believe Sky won that show.

Well ... what do you know? I DID remember seeing a senior corps show before I decided to only march drum corps. Now that I think of it, Brigs might have been there too. I seem to remember a photo of them the next day in a local paper. Thanks for this info.

Wasn't this also Jim Russo's first year as DM for the Cabs? I seem to remember the announcer saying something about it.

Edited by A Cavalier TDY

Yes, Jim came to us in 1970. He had been with St. Lucy's up to 1969. As mentioned above in post # 420, the first DCA podium was built for him in 1970.

When I joined the Cabs in 1966, Ralph Silverbrand was still the drum major. He marched until the end of the 1967 season. Chuck Bishop. Ralph's 'protege' from the Muchachos was our major for 1968 and 1969. Jim Russo took over in 1970, assisted by Bobby Knapp, a former Garfield drum major.

Brigs weren't there in 1970... we folded after the first show that year...

Brigs weren't there in 1970... we folded after the first show that year...

Thanks Tom. Maybe it was from a previous year (69)?

• 2 months later...
Here's a newspaper clip from 1970. The show was supposed to be on Sept. 7 but changed to Sept. 5. If 1970 was a Sr. corps show at the Ex. and DCA finals was the day after, I wonder who was there? Rochester's not far from T.O.; I may also have been in the stands, Jeff. It was a short subway and streetcar ride away :-)

1970-cne1-a.jpg

I would think that Canada's Marching Ambassadors , Guelph Royalaires and possibly Les Diplomates were there. I too probably made the 5 hour drive to sit in the stands.

Edited by John Scott

Sunrisers, Hurricanes and Caballeros were all there, I'm pretty sure. I think the Hurcs won it. I don't remember who else might have been there. Sky possibly.