Drum Corps Trivia

I read 40 pages, most of the questions were answered but could you give the answers ?

Wow. Have you been working on the answers for two years???

1. The Cavaliers have been correctly IDed.

2. The honors go to Les Diplomates

3. Not 1968. The 1954 Kilties featured a segment of Glenn Miller tunes.

4. Not the Troopers. The sunburst was originally the signature move of the Norwood Park Imperials.

5. The Super Bowl didn't even reach 100 million viewers. The NBA matchup of Yao Ming with the Rockets and Yi Jianlian with the Bucks was watched by 200 million Chinese fans.

Edited by HornsUp

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Have you been working on the answers for two years???

1. The Cavaliers have been correctly IDed.

2. The honors go to Les Diplomates

3. Not 1968. The 1954 Kilties featured a segment of Glenn Miller tunes.

4. Not the Troopers. The sunburst was originally the signature move of the Norwood Park Imperials.

5. The Super Bowl didn't even reach 100 million viewers. The NBA matchup of Yao Ming with the Rockets and Yi Jianlian with the Bucks was watched by 200 million Chinese fans.

And a partridge, in a pear tree!!! :smile:

Canada's Dave Parker died? If it's the Dave Parker I knew well I would appreciate someone posting the obituary...

and the answer to the first full form rotation is Les Diplomats. The first time I saw it I wanted to run on the field and ask them to do it again so I could see how they did it...

Tom, I sent a copy of the e-mail to you.

By the way, thanks for the answers to those questions (i.e. rotating forms and the sunburst). These definitely rank right up there in the 'I did not know that' file!

Edited by A Cavalier TDY

Answer to #1 - The Cavaliers and to #4 - The Troopers.

Man, it must have been LOUD in Lucas Oil Stadium last August on the night of Finals. As I said to a few of my 'brothers', it's unfortunate Madison didn't make it to the top 12. If they had, all five of the Combine corps would have been in! Maybe next year?

Linda, as for your 'personal quiz' goes, I knew all of the answers. I still do some of the isometric exercises you taught is in 73. Speaking about 73, even though we won Nationals in 74 and didn't even make the field the finals show that year, 73 was the most fun I had in Seneca. We had a great bass drum section, got to march with my brother in the same section (which we did again in 2000 with the Grenadiers), had nice parts to play and a played a REALLY great selection of music.

Paula Renaud says hi. I still see her at Cardinals reunions and we e-mail back and forth once or so each month. It's mostly jokes, but the occasional piece of news. She actually wrote to me today to send a copy of Dave Parker's obituary. I'm pretty sure he worked with us in 74 didn't he? Certainly in the off season.

Thank you, Jeff. I’d first seen the news on Ventures site. He marched with De La Salle, was our drill writer in 1974, for Optimists in 1973 and a respected CJA judge. I wish to express my sincere condolences to the family of Dave Parker.

It’s a pleasure to recently connect with Paula and you, Jeff. We at Alberta All Girls found it important to meet at least once a year over the last 33 be it celebratory or bittersweet. We’re all drum corps family.

I’m surprised you remembered the isometrics. It started when the guard rehearsed in a space with a low ceiling. The rifles couldn’t toss and the flags couldn’t spin, so we exercised. Kerri contributed her Karate moves, Janet her Judo. The isometrics I taught the horn and drum line were a combination of high school lane and synchronized swimming warm-ups and my yoga classes. Our 73 repertoire included Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Pomp and Circumstance, Impossible Dream. It was a good year.

edit; To HornsUp. With respect to your question 'Wow. Have you been working on the answers for two years???' the answer is 'Haha and no, I read the thread a few days ago. I'm a DCP rookie, learning something new each day; thanks for the answers :-)'

Edited by lindap

Thank you, Jeff. I’d first seen the news on Ventures site. He marched with De La Salle, was our drill writer in 1974, for Optimists in 1973 and a respected CJA judge. I wish to express my sincere condolences to the family of Dave Parker.

It’s a pleasure to recently connect with Paula and you, Jeff. We at Alberta All Girls found it important to meet at least once a year over the last 33 be it celebratory or bittersweet. We’re all drum corps family.

I’m surprised you remembered the isometrics. It started when the guard rehearsed in a space with a low ceiling. The rifles couldn’t toss and the flags couldn’t spin, so we exercised. Kerri contributed her Karate moves, Janet her Judo. The isometrics I taught the horn and drum line were a combination of high school lane and synchronized swimming warm-ups and my yoga classes. Our 73 repertoire included Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Pomp and Circumstance, Impossible Dream. It was a good year.

edit; To HornsUp. With respect to your question 'Wow. Have you been working on the answers for two years???' the answer is 'Haha and no, I read the thread a few days ago. I'm a DCP rookie, learning something new each day; thanks for the answers :-)'

Linda, our concert in 73 was Slaughter on 10th Avenue and the out of concert was Bridge Over Troubled Waters/Oh Happy Day from Godspell. We played Pomp & Circumstance in 74 as a closer to an otherwise all Russian program.

One of my FAVORITE shows in 73 was the Pow Wow. We got trounced, but I got to see and compete against St. Rita's, St. Andrew's, Hawthorne, Blue Rock, CMCC Warriors and the Polish Falcons. I think the OLPH Ridgemen were there too. What a FANTASTIC experience that was, being on the field with the big eastern powerhouses (less 27th, who were probably on tour somewhere else)! Remember John Phillips played that show with his leg in a cast? I can still see him sitting in the middle of the practice field waiting for his solos to come up.

It didn't come to me until much later that you probably styled your approach to drum majoring after Vicki Drummond. Am I right?

Edited by A Cavalier TDY

Actually, you are a DCP fanatic (you have 500 more post than me!) :smile:

Linda, our concert in 73 was Slaughter on 10th Avenue and the out of concert was Bridge Over Troubled Waters/Oh Happy Day from Godspell. We played Pomp & Circumstance in 74 as a closer to an otherwise all Russian program.

One of my FAVORITE shows in 73 was the Pow Wow. We got trounced, but I got to see and compete against St. Rita's, St. Andrew's, Hawthorne, Blue Rock, CMCC Warriors and the Polish Falcons. I think the OLPH Ridgemen were there too. What a FANTASTIC experience that was, being on the field with the big eastern powerhouses (less 27th, who were probably on tour somewhere else)! Remember John Phillips played that show with his leg in a cast? I can still see him sitting in the middle of the practice field waiting for his solos to come up.

It didn't come to me until much later that you probably styled your approach to drum majoring after Vicki Drummond. Am I right?

Sorry to take a long time to reply, Jeff. I’ve scrapbooks from 1969-1972 and next to nothing from 1973-1975. I do remember John’s cast, he had to rip the inner seam to get his uniform pants on. I vaguely remember either a snare drummer or contra player with an arm cast a year or so before. Ouch! Off topic; I was raised downtown T.O. Lambert and Tom took me river canoeing one day. I was in awe at the beauty of nature. They yelled “Duck!” I looked around for water fowl and the canoe came to a stop. Tom and Lambert were laying low in the canoe while my hair was caught in brambles. We had a good laugh as they helped take twigs out of the hair of their DM having a blonde moment. :tongue:

From what I’ve read Vicki Drummond was DM 1971-1974; I was DM 1972-1975. There weren’t many solo female drum majors in co-ed junior corps in 1972. We may have had similar styles ‘cause we were from pre-podium era. I remember having to conduct with arms high so y’all could see me and I wandered around the field a lot. My role model was Carol Hopkins, our guard captain 69-70. I was guard captain winter 71-72 and assigned the DM role April 72. I felt like a fish out of water until my first DM trophy early in the season whereupon I felt really awkward ‘cause the big trophy was my bus buddy goin’ home. Yikes! It took me a few years to grow into the DM role.

I have our tentative tour schedule from 1974 and 1975 but not from 1973; vaguely recall the Pow Wow but remember Watkins Glen well. I found our 1973 repertoire in 2 contest programs. 1st program Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Slaughter on 10th Avenue, Auld Lang Syne, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Impossible Dream. 2nd program Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Norwegian Woods, Something, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Day by Day. The 3 selections that I enjoyed conducting were Norwegian Wood, Something and Russian Sailors’ Dance. You and I should collaborate and exchange notes. I really liked your article, ‘a trip down memory lane’ published April 2004. Here’s a little something from my 1970 scrapbook;

70-dca-prelims-a.jpg

Linda, if I read it correctly, you said these are the DCA prelims scores from 1970, correct?

I marched in the Caballeros that year, and later that night we won our first-ever DCA title. It's cool to see someone post the scores who was there that day, so many years ago, and written out on a piece of paper like that. I still have some very clear memories of that afternoon and evening, 40 years ago.

Thanks for the memory trip!

Linda, if I read it correctly, you said these are the DCA prelims scores from 1970, correct?

I marched in the Caballeros that year, and later that night we won our first-ever DCA title. It's cool to see someone post the scores who was there that day, so many years ago, and written out on a piece of paper like that. I still have some very clear memories of that afternoon and evening, 40 years ago.

Thanks for the memory trip!

iremeber having watched the show after we finished and i thought the rebels were gonna win. we were all pulling for cabs that night. we were right next to the cabs and when they won we turned and clapped to the cabs. it was a great night for you guy's john. big, big win!!!