Instructor's caucus

Are you telling me that every bandkid and his 30-40 friends get bussed all over the country to 5 shows the way a legacy fan goes to shows? Or do they just hit one, maybe two locally?

No, I mean that around the country DCI is attracting HS bands to atend shows...one bus here, another there, and it adds up. Five HS each sending a bus to one show will add 150'ish total; your example of one legacy fan not attending 5 shows removes 5. This is all hypothetical discussion, of course.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And even more to the point, those in charge of DCI voted this in because the designers and instructors with whom they have surrounded themselves, the educators that are driving the students in the activity to a high level of achievement, are pushing the directors to try new things.

It seems overlooked here that the rule finally passing had more to do with instructors and designers "winning over" their corps directors than GH bending arms of guys to vote along with him.

Very true...George wants WW....I don't see any groundswell of support amongst the insructors for that...hence...not even a blip.

And yes, that's how I believe amps got passed...enough insructors convinced enough directors after a decade+ of wanting them.

Doesn't matter what I want. The key factor here is that the approved changes are what those in charge of DCI want. That is why they 'should' alter their rules....to make DCI reflect their own desires. It took over a decade for amps to be approved. WW are not even a blip on the horizon. Why? Because those that decide these things did not want them...and then in the case of amps...enough decided it was time. It's their job to guide the direction of DCI as they so choose...not mine...and not yours.

I still find this to be a mixed message. If you truly believed that it "doesn't matter what you want", you wouldn't be DCP's most vocal supporter of adding woodwinds to drum corps, against the wishes of those in charge of DCI.

1) Yes to the above. of course I think them terrible as they do not align with my own POV.

Well, you gotta admire the sincerity in this statement.

2) They are terrible, as I said, because they move drum corps backward instead of forward.

You forgot the IMO. You need it here because, as you say, it is up to those in charge of DCI to decide what they want....and what constitutes "forward" or "backward".

I still find this to be a mixed message. If you truly believed that it "doesn't matter what you want", you wouldn't be DCP's most vocal supporter of adding woodwinds to drum corps, against the wishes of those in charge of DCI.

Why is it "mixed"? Yes, I think WW should be added to drum corps, but no, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of current drum corps, and I would always defer to those who make the decisions as to when and if any change is made.

You forgot the IMO. You need it here because, as you say, it is up to those in charge of DCI to decide what they want....and what constitutes "forward" or "backward".

OK...IMO.

No, I mean that around the country DCI is attracting HS bands to atend shows...one bus here, another there, and it adds up. Five HS each sending a bus to one show will add 150'ish total; your example of one legacy fan not attending 5 shows removes 5. This is all hypothetical discussion, of course.

All hypothetical agreed, but I'm quite sure more than 1 legacy fan is ###### off.

And even more to the point, those in charge of DCI voted this in because the designers and instructors with whom they have surrounded themselves, the educators that are driving the students in the activity to a high level of achievement, are pushing the directors to try new things.

It seems overlooked here that the rule finally passing had more to do with instructors and designers "winning over" their corps directors than GH bending arms of guys to vote along with him.

Good point. Many of those instructors/judges in the caucuses are band directors "in real life". Naturally, they can be expected to like band, having chosen it as a full-time career. And naturally, they would like to see their summer activity mirror what they do during the school year.

Difference is, the summer activity (at least, the touring version) needs audience revenue to pay it's bills. Marching band hasn't been able to make that happen; drum corps has. The corps directors need to remember that when voting on changes that alter the identity of the activity. But perhaps the instructors/judges are mindful of that, too, as not even they support woodwinds on the DCI contest field.

That was your number, not mine.

For demonstration only Mike - pretty obviously.....

As was mine.

and the last word is once again ceeded to Mike on another meaningless semantic issue.....