Instructor's caucus

Ticket sales are the most important factor I would think. DCI is a business, after all.

Not that I have a dog in this fight, but doesn't DCI give away a few tickets here and there to local band programs?

Seems like there's always a Reliable Rondo "school shoutout" every year at Nightbeat in Charlotte.

Eh, whatever. Bring on the jing-tinglers and fan-toozlers...it's not like we have a choice, anyway.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I have a dog in this fight, but doesn't DCI give away a few tickets here and there to local band programs?

Seems like there's always a Reliable Rondo "school shoutout" every year at Nightbeat in Charlotte.

Eh, whatever. Bring on the jing-tinglers and fan-toozlers...it's not like we have a choice, anyway.

You do have a choice - go or don't. The only way to make DCI rethink is - "don't".

You do have a choice - go or don't. The only way to make DCI rethink is - "don't".

Yeah, like they care what we do. Heh.

I'm not worried; I've held the activity at an arms length since 2004, anyway. There's still a few shows that will know what buttons to push fan-wise for me, so I'll kinda hang out on the outer fringes of this until there aren't any. Then it's time to move on.

It's kinda like quitting smoking, really. :laughing:

Yeah, like they care what we do. Heh.

I'm not worried; I've held the activity at an arms length since 2004, anyway. There's still a few shows that will know what buttons to push fan-wise for me, so I'll kinda hang out on the outer fringes of this until there aren't any. Then it's time to move on.

It's kinda like quitting smoking, really. :laughing:

If enough people stop giving them the cash, they will suddenly care. I'll support the local Open shows, but that's about it, and that because I have a personal attachment to both Dutch Boy and Hype.

Cheers.

350k? I thought it was 200k a week or so back. This number jumps every time it is invoked......

Somebody else who seemed to have more access to the data than I...or a better memory... posted those numbers. I have not seen them rejected to date, at least that I have read here.

Somebody else who seemed to have more access to the data than I...or a better memory... posted those numbers. I have not seen them rejected to date, at least that I have read here.

What was the source for either one?

OK, I understand now. The instructors are as grammatically challenged, so they understood it perfectly. Personally, I think they did just as little research. They just wanted more toys because they were incapable of creating within the previous limitations...though others (without fancy-shmancy degrees) had done it for decades.

Why do you hold these folks in such low esteem? People like Tom Aungst, Neil Larrivee, Scott Johnson, Paul Rennick...etc? Which of them are incapable of creating great programs?

And no, you do not understand now, IMO. They are able to understand the ideas being expressed even though the text may not be as polished as you...and probably they...might like.

As an educator, if one of your music students turned in something, say a review of a performance they attended as part of a music appreciation unit, with as many grammatical errors and typos as some of the proposals, would you just give them a pass because they got the basic idea across? Remember, you're answering as a professional educator.

No, IMO an academic exercise, where both content and form are being evaluated, is different from the real world of deadlines and the need to multi-task. As I said, I would prefer that all proposals be well-written, but first and foremost the ideas are what count most to me.

IMO, Tim's proposals were good, though I thought the penalties were excessive. So, other than they went against your idea of what drum corps is and where it's going, what exactly was so "lousy" about Tim's proposals?

They go against the progress, expansion and improvements of drum corps instrumentation that has been ongoing for over half a century.

That last statement is probably true of most, if not all, corps fans. I'll issue the challenge again, though. If you want an anything goes marching music circuit, why don't you step up and start your own circuit? Why should DCI alter their rules to accomodate the band community? If bands are that popular, why aren't they the "Major Leagues of Marching Music" already?

Doesn't matter what I want. The key factor here is that the approved changes are what those in charge of DCI want. That is why they 'should' alter their rules....to make DCI reflect their own desires. It took over a decade for amps to be approved. WW are not even a blip on the horizon. Why? Because those that decide these things did not want them...and then in the case of amps...enough decided it was time. It's their job to guide the direction of DCI as they so choose...not mine...and not yours.

Leaving Tim's demeanor out of the equation, what was so terrible? That they don't align with your POV?

Two reasons...

1) Yes to the above. of course I think them terrible as they do not align with my own POV.

2) They are terrible, as I said, because they move drum corps backward instead of forward.

Though there are still those who prefer the G sound, most have come to accept Bb brass. It's also recognized that the third valve is just a good idea, especially if you want a full chromatic without having to have ways to cheat out the notes. But neither one of those rules changed the fundamental sound of the brass/percussion ensemble. Amps did. Electronics will, especially when all the limits are removed...which they will be. I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

I disagree on the "apples/oranges" thing. IMO they are exactly the same. As you "recognize" that the 3rd valve is a good idea...those who vote for amps and electronics also think they are a good idea. It's only "apples/oranges" because you disagree with the changes.

The legacy fans are the ones that go to multiple shows in a season. Lose one that goes to 5 shows, you lost 5 from your count, not just one.

Pick up one busload of HS band kids at one show and you add 30-40 to the count. Add one bus to those 5 shows and now you add 150 or more.

Pick up one busload of HS band kids at one show and you add 30-40 to the count. Add one bus to those 5 shows and now you add 150 or more.

Are you telling me that every bandkid and his 30-40 friends get bussed all over the country to 5 shows the way a legacy fan goes to shows? Or do they just hit one, maybe two locally?

The key factor here is that the approved changes are what those in charge of DCI want.

And even more to the point, those in charge of DCI voted this in because the designers and instructors with whom they have surrounded themselves, the educators that are driving the students in the activity to a high level of achievement, are pushing the directors to try new things.

It seems overlooked here that the rule finally passing had more to do with instructors and designers "winning over" their corps directors than GH bending arms of guys to vote along with him.