Instructor's caucus

I'm glad you knew I was joking :laughing:

Working at a huge corporation for more than 20 years and working with engineers (double whammy) I understood your point. And while you stated that you don't think the designers haven't taken over in DCI. I wouldn't be hasty to cut that line of thought off. It could make for an interesting thread.

Actually, I'm not sure if the designers have or have not taken over. I'm just not close enough to judge. It APPEARS to me that the "evolution" of DCI has progressed quite rapidly on the field and not so much off the field, but I can't say one way or another definitively whether this is caused more by internal decisions/dynamics or external (society, economy, other activities, etc). Or whether there even was a better path to take for that matter.

I agree -- it could make for an interesting thread, but it would have to be strictly monitored so it doesn't de-volve into the predictable nonsense of "change is good, you're old" vs "change is bad, amps suck" :devil:

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - now it's 400,000! At this rate of inflation we'll be past 1/2 million in a week!

Of course, that includes "paid audience, VIP guests, corps members, media, and others". In other words, a lot of non-paying butts in seats.

Hey...change the avatar...after yesterday it's more like Romney 2012

:laughing:

Hey...change the avatar...after yesterday it's more like Romney 2012

Republicans back in that soon after the last 8 years? I'd give it mid-century. :laughing:

yikes - starting to sound like CE - back on topic....

Wow - now it's 400,000! At this rate of inflation we'll be past 1/2 million in a week!

Of course, that includes "paid audience, VIP guests, corps members, media, and others". In other words, a lot of non-paying butts in seats.

Or not even in seats. That counts everyone that was "there", a key distinction vs. numbers they've published in other years.

Or not even in seats. That counts everyone that was "there", a key distinction vs. numbers they've published in other years.

True - I suppose what would be most instructive would be a straight count of ticket sales, since you can't really track the people that spend half the night under the stands catching up with old marching buddies.

It's kinda like the engineers of the company having the final say on its direction. Engineers are great with the product, but aren't concerned (generally) with the cost, with the market, etc -- Kinda like Homer Simpson's car design -- give the engineers final say (or veto power, if you please :dancin: ) and the company goes down a dangerous path. (Disclaimer alert!!!! I am not saying that this has defintiely happened with DCI, just pointing out a line of thought that causes trouble in some organizations).

I will say, though, that the evolution of drum corps has progressed and expanded wildly on the field, but has contracted off of it. (Less corps, less circuits, less shows, etc). Maybe that was inevitable with the changing times, rise of hs programs, yatta, yatta. But maybe it's because the engineers had too much say over the direction of the activity over the finance and marketing guys. Just sayin' .... :tongue:

Most engineers are quite conservative (I oughta know) - usually its the computer guys that love to change things and try to pack too many functions into a single device or product. However, the point is made that when the nuts-and-bolts guys are in charge, marketing the product takes a back seat. But, marketing has to have a good product to market, so the two must go hand-in-hand.

As for the "Homer" example, I made the same point back when we started talking about the rules changes (before the vote), so I agree with this position.

Having the instructors filter out rules changes they don't agree with is like allowing corporations and other lobbying interests to filter out legislation in Congress. But, I thought we passed laws to keep that kind of thing from happening. (Anyone remember McCain-Feingold? the Dems 2006 campaign slogan? Jack Abramov? Dick Cheney's evil energy task force? etc?) The idea being that instructors are the recipients of rules changes, just like corporations (for-profit and non-profit alike) are recipients of the regulations that Congress creates and the Administration promulgates.

I'd like to hear an explanation of how and why the Caucus was formed in the first place. How does it work? Does every proposal have to go there first? How many seats? Who's eligible? How does one gain membership? If there's one for instructors, why not for members? Heck, why not have a Fans' Caucus too? (since members and fans are also affected by any rules changes.)

Heck, why not have a Fans' Caucus too? (since members and fans are also affected by any rules changes.)

OOO! OOO! Pick me! Pick me! :tongue:

Great points all through this post Dale.