Instructor's caucus

Yowza yowza yowza.

This just in: You can write a proposal using your own feces so long as it's a "good idea".

And, take note here. Drum corps sans electronics is a bad idea.

Edited by mingusmonk

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, take note here. Drum corps sans electronics is a bad idea.

And, Drums corps con electronics isn't drum corps. It's a caricature of its former self. It's band. And I can see a band anywhere. Drum corps is quickly becoming quite irrelevant indeed. Enjoy fussing all over it and defending the changes tooth and nail. But while you're caught up in all that, you might want to consider that nobody even knows what drum corps is anymore. What do we have, 20 corps? No tv. No publicity. Pathetic. Bring on the woodwinds, and dogs and ponies while you're at it.

Well - then DCI will remain band, per Hoppy's own assesment. I never did see you reply to your hero's admission, Mike....

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2140562

QUOTE (DrumCorpsFan27 @ Feb 2 2008, 07:15 PM) post_snapback.gifHoppy replied to this email. He was cordial, but defended the decisions (would you expect any different). He states that since bands and corps have progressed to electronics, that they are now basically the same and asks why they should be different. I answered "diversity." I hope Mr. Hopkins will continue this conversation with me, but I don't expect it.

We did continue the conversation a little. We both remained cordial and respectful of each other.

He expressed that drum corps are bands becaues the vast majority of members come from bands. He believes that bands must be embraced and that drum corps and band must not be different. He said that he didn't expect to push towards bands but now feels DCI cannot survive any other way.

He also said that as much as he would like to debate further, he would need a traveling secretary. He was emailing with me while traveling home. I wished him a safe journey and some time to relax.

End of conversation, although I did suggest that we could continue it over a beer one day.

And, Drums corps con electronics isn't drum corps. It's a caricature of its former self. It's band. And I can see a band anywhere. Drum corps is quickly becoming quite irrelevant indeed. Enjoy fussing all over it and defending the changes tooth and nail. But while you're caught up in all that, you might want to consider that nobody even knows what drum corps is anymore. What do we have, 20 corps? No tv. No publicity. Pathetic. Bring on the woodwinds, and dogs and ponies while you're at it.

Plus the 350K+ who attend shows, those who flock to the theaters for 1/4-finals, and those who check out semis on the web. Not "pathetic" at all.

Plus the 350K+ who attend shows, those who flock to the theaters for 1/4-finals, and those who check out semis on the web. Not "pathetic" at all.

350k? I thought it was 200k a week or so back. This number jumps every time it is invoked......

Yes, I would prefer the proposals to be as well written as possible. But no, I do not agree with your paragraph above. The ideas are what are most important, and as long as those who count...i.e. the instructors and directors who vote on these things... understand what he is proposing, it's fine by me. IMO all of this kvetching about the grammar and spelling are just anti-George people using them as a hammer to beat him over the head. BTW, he is not communicating to you or me at all with the proposals. They are being presented to DCI, not DCP.

OK, I understand now. The instructors are as grammatically challenged, so they understood it perfectly. Personally, I think they did just as little research. They just wanted more toys because they were incapable of creating within the previous limitations...though others (without fancy-shmancy degrees) had done it for decades.

As an educator, if one of your music students turned in something, say a review of a performance they attended as part of a music appreciation unit, with as many grammatical errors and typos as some of the proposals, would you just give them a pass because they got the basic idea across? Remember, you're answering as a professional educator.

Hmmm....I removed the spell checker comment about my own typo...take a look in the first paragraph at YOUR spelling error, if that is the most important thing to you.

Fixed! I caught it before I read this reponse.

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion about 'ever'....IMO Tim's ideas this time were just plain lousy, so why should the instructors give them the time of day if they think the same way?

IMO, Tim's proposals were good, though I thought the penalties were excessive. So, other than they went against your idea of what drum corps is and where it's going, what exactly was so "lousy" about Tim's proposals?

I hope they never remove elements like electronics and amps...corps should be as free as possible to program what they wish. If you like a particular show, fine...if not, also fine. There have been lots of shows, and parts of shows, that I have disliked for this reason or that reason.

That last statement is probably true of most, if not all, corps fans. I'll issue the challenge again, though. If you want an anything goes marching music circuit, why don't you step up and start your own circuit? Why should DCI alter their rules to accomodate the band community? If bands are that popular, why aren't they the "Major Leagues of Marching Music" already?

No, IMO it was the content of Tim's proposals that kept them from making much of an effort with them. IMO they were terrible ideas to begin with, and POSSIBLY his demeanor at the caucus did not help him...note the word POSSIBLY, given what a variety of folks have posted.

Leaving Tim's demeanor out of the equation, what was so terrible? That they don't align with your POV?

It would be the same as if somone proposed that hornlines go back to G valve/rotor horns, and if you used Bb/F horns you would receive a 25 point penalty. Why would such a proposal be worthy of even 5 minutes of discussion?

Though there are still those who prefer the G sound, most have come to accept Bb brass. It's also recognized that the third valve is just a good idea, especially if you want a full chromatic without having to have ways to cheat out the notes. But neither one of those rules changed the fundamental sound of the brass/percussion ensemble. Amps did. Electronics will, especially when all the limits are removed...which they will be. I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

The "350K+" number you refer to was ticket sales, not people.

Ticket sales are the most important factor I would think. DCI is a business, after all.

Ticket sales are the most important factor I would think. DCI is a business, after all.

The legacy fans are the ones that go to multiple shows in a season. Lose one that goes to 5 shows, you lost 5 from your count, not just one.