Instructor's caucus

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. Many of those instructors/judges in the caucuses are band directors "in real life". Naturally, they can be expected to like band, having chosen it as a full-time career. And naturally, they would like to see their summer activity mirror what they do during the school year.

Difference is, the summer activity (at least, the touring version) needs audience revenue to pay it's bills. Marching band hasn't been able to make that happen; drum corps has. The corps directors need to remember that when voting on changes that alter the identity of the activity. But perhaps the instructors/judges are mindful of that, too, as not even they support woodwinds on the DCI contest field.

It's kinda like the engineers of the company having the final say on its direction. Engineers are great with the product, but aren't concerned (generally) with the cost, with the market, etc -- Kinda like Homer Simpson's car design -- give the engineers final say (or veto power, if you please :laughing: ) and the company goes down a dangerous path. (Disclaimer alert!!!! I am not saying that this has defintiely happened with DCI, just pointing out a line of thought that causes trouble in some organizations).

I will say, though, that the evolution of drum corps has progressed and expanded wildly on the field, but has contracted off of it. (Less corps, less circuits, less shows, etc). Maybe that was inevitable with the changing times, rise of hs programs, yatta, yatta. But maybe it's because the engineers had too much say over the direction of the activity over the finance and marketing guys. Just sayin' .... :devil:

It's kinda like the engineers of the company having the final say on its direction. Engineers are great with the product, but aren't concerned (generally) with the cost, with the market, etc -- Kinda like Homer Simpson's car design -- give the engineers final say (or veto power, if you please :devil: ) and the company goes down a dangerous path. (Disclaimer alert!!!! I am not saying that this has defintiely happened with DCI, just pointing out a line of thought that causes trouble in some organizations).

I will say, though, that the evolution of drum corps has progressed and expanded wildly on the field, but has contracted off of it. (Less corps, less circuits, less shows, etc). Maybe that was inevitable with the changing times, rise of hs programs, yatta, yatta. But maybe it's because the engineers had too much say over the direction of the activity over the finance and marketing guys. Just sayin' .... :devil:

Kind of like the inmates running the prison :laughing:

OK Dad. :laughing:

Yeah - just when we were starting to have fun. We never get to have any fun......

Yeah - just when we were starting to have fun. We never get to have any fun......

:devil::laughing:

Kind of like the inmates running the prison :laughing:

I realize you're joking, but I want to make it clear that I wouldn't go quite that far :devil:

Engineers (in my example) still have the best interests of the company at heart -- it's just that their perspective is limited and needs to be balanced, that's all.

I realize you're joking, but I want to make it clear that I wouldn't go quite that far :devil:

Engineers (in my example) still have the best interests of the company at heart -- it's just that their perspective is limited and needs to be balanced, that's all.

I'm glad you knew I was joking :laughing:

Working at a huge corporation for more than 20 years and working with engineers (double whammy) I understood your point. And while you stated that you don't think the designers haven't taken over in DCI. I wouldn't be hasty to cut that line of thought off. It could make for an interesting thread.