Cadets 2002

So I was just watching the "Legacy" videos on the DCI Web site with my still-current Platinum membership ... :tongue: ... and I noticed something I hadn't seen before ...

During Cadets 2002, at the point where the corps all stops as says part of the "Pledge" (including the "under God," thank God!!), the video pans from them raising the flag toward the middle of the field and I see a judge stopped, facing the flag, with his hand on his heart, I assume saying the pledge. Anyone else notice that before??

I just think that's cool.

Can anyone think of neat, cool or even bad stories of judges doing something on the field?? Not on their tapes -- that's different. We've all either been involved or heard of stories of judges getting run over, but what about other out-of-the-ordinary stories like this one.

Drum corps or marching band, I suppose.

That's really good of the judge to do. It is customary to stand with your hand over your heart and face the flag during the pledge no matter what the context is. A few years ago I learned from my dad(Col. U.S. Army Ret.) that some people get upset when Taps is played in the middle of medleys because after Taps is sounded there is supposed to be silence.

On a side note, I got goosebumps the first time I watched that show and it got to that part. That is definitely one of my 2 favorite Cadets shows... I can't decide if I like '89 Cadets better or not.

-Weedy

That's really good of the judge to do. It is customary to stand with your hand over your heart and face the flag during the pledge no matter what the context is. A few years ago I learned from my dad(Col. U.S. Army Ret.) that some people get upset when Taps is played in the middle of medleys because after Taps is sounded there is supposed to be silence.

On a side note, I got goosebumps the first time I watched that show and it got to that part. That is definitely one of my 2 favorite Cadets shows... I can't decide if I like '89 Cadets better or not.

-Weedy

We also played taps in 1971 after our battle scene, and it was received with respectful silence at every show I can recall.

I thought it was unnecessary and cheesy. And, from a design standpoint, it was a cop-out

Plus, the Pledge part was historically inaccurate for their show theme: the "Under God" portion wasn't added to the Pledge until the mid-50's.

But, you know: anything for GE, right? :tongue:

We also played taps in 1971 after our battle scene, and it was received with respectful silence at every show I can recall.

Heh..... occasionally there was silence after my junior corps was done playing.... and it wasn't respectful. :tongue:

Fran