1997 and 1998

How could you not talk about those two years? Cadets 97 is one of the best shows visually ever. BD was absolutely phenominal. SCV, great...Phantom, great, Madison with that pirate show. Man I love that year. And 98, Cadets had the best ballad I'd ever heard. I loved the competition between BD, SCV and Cadets that year, especially when Cadets jumped into first on Semis night.

Wabbits.

How could you not talk about those two years? Cadets 97 is one of the best shows visually ever. BD was absolutely phenominal. SCV, great...Phantom, great, Madison with that pirate show. Man I love that year. And 98, Cadets had the best ballad I'd ever heard. I loved the competition between BD, SCV and Cadets that year, especially when Cadets jumped into first on Semis night.

I would have to agree! Also, 97, 98, and 99 Cadets all had BEAUTIFUL ballads, with 99 being, imho, one of the greatest ballads of all time. When the Cadets do a ballad, they do it brilliantly.

I would have to agree! Also, 97, 98, and 99 Cadets all had BEAUTIFUL ballads, with 99 being, imho, one of the greatest ballads of all time. When the Cadets do a ballad, they do it brilliantly.

Agreed...Cadets 1999, best ballad in DCI.

• Like 1

Those were my first years as a drum corps fan, so I remember them fondly, however I there just weren't many standout shows. Very good shows? Absolutely. All time greats? Not so much.

It's funny how time alters perspectives. In '97 Cavies Firebird was ridiculously unpopular. People didn't hate or revile it the way they did Star 93, but they did find it silly, pretentious and deathly dull. I think the music book had a lot of potential but was performed poorly...visually...well, that year was the exception that proves the rule about the Cavies' otherwise stellar visual program. Ouch. In fact if you listen closely to the opening silent drill, you can hear quite a bit of giggling and puzzled murmuring from the crowd. A friend who marched that year said that in the beginning of the year there was a lot more "shoop"ing and they got laughed at regularly.

98 BD is another one that people have warmed to in the years since. Musically, maybe the best designed BD show of the 90s(hard to argue with 99) and an absolutely incredible job of switching between and sometimes layering jazz and legit playing. The upper brass playing "One Hand, One Heart" while the contras play the Cool theme backfield is one of my favorite bits of drum corps writing of all time.

I attended finals all three Orlando years (96-98) and 97 was by far one of the best finals performance nights that I have ever seen. Each corps that came out just threw down, seemingly daring the next corps to keep their spot in the standings. And for the most part, every corps that came out next did just that. I have rarely seen a crowd go as bananas as they did after Madison, and I thought that there was NO WAY that Phantom could top them that night. The Ring show, while I had eagerly anticipated it all year, had left me flat. Until finals, then it was amazing. SCV proved that they were in fact "back". Cadets and Blue Devils were off the charts good. Every show just rocked.

98? Not so much. I just don't remember it all that much, and I was there.

You may not all know, but I wrote a book about my experience in SCV from 1996-1998. I marched in the Tenor line those years. The book is called "Not for the Faint of Heart: My Journey to Manhood in the Santa Clara Vanguard." It is available at www.wildridepublications.com. Those years were very exciting for SCV. New directorship led us in a very positive direction. SCV's Waterfront opener in 1997 was a very difficult piece to march, and was quite dicey to fit together as an ensemble. It was a real gamble because of the listening situation at times. It was also like running a freaking marathon. The fantastic thing about the 1997 SCV was that we started the summer 9.5 full points behind BD. We ended the year with a full Corps tie with BD at Prelims. We were so proud of that. The 1998 drum line was a special group of people. It was a very aggressive drum line. Anyway, just my biased two cents.

Jeremy "Spike" Van Wert