Interesting Comment from Hop

And what of the makeup of the DCI activity? What about the fact that we are 92% white in a world that is not?

What can we do to attract a more diverse community? Is it the music we play? the Uniforms? the tradition and military approach that might perhaps keep many youth from becoming involved?

In many ways I find his questioning on this topic very legit. I know many of you who marched in the past may have done so because of the traditions, but I know I didn't. I marched to have a good time and enjoy a new experience in my life. That doens't mean I did not respect my corps or the activity's traditons, but it wasn't necessarily the priority. Sometimes I feel we as an activity are painting ourselves in a corner because we are so hard-core about our past. To me it doesn't mean we have to turn into Drumline the movie, but it does mean we need to explore all possibility of change. Is it concenring that the activitiy that you love may change into something you don't like anymore and leave you behind? Sure and it concerns me too, but I will always believe that the people who are making the decisions are doing it for the right reasons. I for one would love to see more diviersity in the drum corps world.

The answer is NOT to change the activity into something different so that it (maybe) appeals to more people, but rather to reach out to the people in question and show them what they are missing. There was a great article on DCI.org recently about someone doing just that, exposing inner city youth with nothing going for them to DC, with tremendous results. With that said, DC will always appeal to a very select crowd no matter what you do, and there is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't have to be the activity of choice for all of America's youth, and it never will be. Hoppy will say and do anything to forward his agenda. Beware the underlying current.

It seems today's shows are designed with much less emphasis on the audience entertainment portion (with obvious exception, of course, I'm lookin' at you Carolina Crown...). If the activity wants to attract more of any group of people there's an obvious place to start.

• Like 1

And what of the makeup of the DCI activity? What about the fact that we are 92% white in a world that is not?

What can we do to attract a more diverse community? Is it the music we play? the Uniforms? the tradition and military approach that might perhaps keep many youth from becoming involved?

Um...I'd try the 2000+ dollar tuition for the top units first before we start to deride "tradition".

Couple that money with the fact that most music education/performance majors (aside from those at historically black colleges and universities) are, indeed, white...and, well, there you go.

It is what it is, and no amount of tweaking the music, uniforms or "tradition" is going to make DCI or the Cadets (or any other corps) a pan-cultural paean to the world community.

Tell you what, though, George: drop the fees down to about 250 dollars for a Cadets "Cadet" corps, go into inner city Philadelphia and get some kids together and give them some drum line equipment (get Yamaha, etc to donate it) and create a few lines to compete against each other regionally.

There's your entry point into the multicultural world of today...which sounds suprisingly like the entry point many, many years ago people used to get kids off the street and into a little thing called drum corps.

Funny, no?

I won't hold my breath to see that happen, though. :tongue:

Um...I'd try the 2000+ dollar tuition for the top units first before we start to deride "tradition".

Couple that money with the fact that most music education/performance majors (aside from those at historically black colleges and universities) are, indeed, white...and, well, there you go.

It is what it is, and no amount of tweaking the music, uniforms or "tradition" is going to make DCI or the Cadets (or any other corps) a pan-cultural paean to the world community.

Tell you what, though, George: drop the fees down to about 250 dollars for a Cadets "Cadet" corps, go into inner city Philadelphia and get some kids together and give them some drum line equipment (get Yamaha, etc to donate it) and create a few lines to compete against each other regionally.

There's your entry point into the multicultural world of today...which sounds suprisingly like the entry point many, many years ago people used to get kids off the street and into a little thing called drum corps.

Funny, no?

You said everything I wanted to say only better. Bravo! :tongue: DCI - are you listening?

My first thought, how about more groups like Cadets of NYC that reach out to disadvantaged youth..

Oh yeah, if you're not in a Top 12 corps no one hears anything about you....

You said everything I wanted to say only better. Bravo! :tongue: DCI - are you listening?

As they say on another board I hang out on, +1.

Funny, no?

I've always wondered why there never was a Cadet Cadets. Or Cadet Cadet Cadets for the youngins. :tongue:

Funny, no?

OMG will you marry me? That rocked, and made my post just look, well, stupid.