DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

My point would only be made by some actual numbers.

If DCA has a high proportion of DCI ageouts, then it's like a fraternity holding onto some experience and I don't have to pay to watch that when I can watch DCI.

If DCA does not have a high proportion of DCI ageouts, then my point is moot.

You see, that was always my one criticism of the Kilties...just a bunch of guys trying to relive their youth. Kind of like watching a marching mid-life crisis sometimes. Hey, just my call. I know some of those guys, I like some of those guys. I just wouldn't pay to see a whole evening of that.

Ooooo … oooooo … oooooo! I get it! I get it!

If a DCA corps has a high percentage of ex-DCI marchers, they you won’t like the corps because they are those sad types who are trying to hold onto to the days when they were the fullback on the state champion football team.

And if DCA doesn’t have a high percentage of ex-DCI marchers, then you just don’t care. And you still won’t enjoy the corps.

So you will enjoy a DCA corps if …? Uh, what the heck? I guess you can’t enjoy a DCA corps under any circumstances. The numbers don't really matter, do they?

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So quick question, if you dismiss those who are in it to relive the glory days, why do you post on DCP? You are past being eligible for an active member, why are you commenting on DCI and DCA when you aren't relevant anymore?

So quick question, if you dismiss those who are in it to relive the glory days, why do you post on DCP? You are past being eligible for an active member, why are you commenting on DCI and DCA when you aren't relevant anymore?

:worthy:

2007 DCI RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! deal with it.

JASON

MADISON SCOUT 82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,06 LOW BRASS

wait.... as part of the staff? parent?

Mini-corps.

Relevant.

Phenominally entertaining.

Party atmosphere.

Hits the mark on quality.

Equal in attendance to DII/III Finals

Near perfect competitive outlet for smaller units .

Professional adjudication.

Scoring, placements and a revolving trophy.

Commitment and cooperation from DCA and MCA

All-age inclusion.

Weekend model.

Small budget requirement.

18 corps participation (bigger in numbers than DII or DIII)

Championship caliber.

Near bedlam audience response.

What DCI dismisses entirely, DCA welcomes as its own.

And the proof shall set you FREE!

Edited by Toby
Removed video links - TS

Well, besides the "more members for more corps" contention, another thing to consider is that more corps = less money for each participating group. Unless DCA can massively increase its main revenue source, which I would assume to be ticket sales, how many additional corps can the business model support? If I'm not mistaken, there is no "central office" staff for DCA like there is for DCI; meaning that there are only but so many resources to go around to support their schedule. Since many of the corps seem to only work on Saturday nights during the summer, there are only but so many possible dates for corps to compete. So, how do they infuse more cash into the equation in order to provide "pay days" to the new groups that are springing up?

Speaking from my own experience only (some corps leaderships may disagree with me on this) but unlike most, if not all, DCI corps, DCA corps are not in it just to get a paycheck at the end of the season. Yes, that is nice to get and yes, the more the better. However, most DCA corps are in it for the fun, competition and bragging rights. Almost every member of a DCA corps marches because it's what they love to do. They don't do it to get a better job, or a scholarship or anything like that. They do it for the sheer exhilaration of performing and hearing the crowd and watching the competition. While we do aspire to perform to our best we are not and never will be perfect. We simply do not have that kind of time. Therefore, we instead focus on the enjoyment aspects of the sport.

My point would only be made by some actual numbers.

If DCA has a high proportion of DCI ageouts, then it's like a fraternity holding onto some experience and I don't have to pay to watch that when I can watch DCI.

If DCA does not have a high proportion of DCI ageouts, then my point is moot.

You see, that was always my one criticism of the Kilties...just a bunch of guys trying to relive their youth. Kind of like watching a marching mid-life crisis sometimes. Hey, just my call. I know some of those guys, I like some of those guys. I just wouldn't pay to see a whole evening of that.

Where is it written that this activity is ONLY for the young. I happen to know a few "old timers" that can march and play circles around most DCI members. I think if you love the activity and can physically do it.......then go for it.

I've seen DCA corps before. Are the three Midwestern corps, Kilties, Minnesota Brass, Chops, Inc., indicative of DCA corps?

You also forgot Govenaires. Between those corps, you have a perennial Open class finalist, and two A class champions. Unfortunately, they don't have many performances at a DCI show after early July so you're still seeing unfinished product.

Second, I lived and breathed and watched and have seen drum corps since 1968. Nothing DCA could do would surprise me, enlighten me, make me go oh, wow. It just wouldn't.

Well, all right then. I wish I had your talent for making judgments about something you have no clue about.

Those three numbers would help me immensely as I attempt to ascertain the relevance of DCA.

Tom, to be perfectly honest, and this is just my opinion.... I don't know you, have never met you, and probably never will.... but who cares what you think about DCA, since you obviously want no part of it. No one is going to stay up nights waiting for you to issue your grand pronouncement about the "relevance" of DCA...... or the relevance of anything, for that matter.

I respect the opinion of someone like Mike Davis, who obviously is very pro-DCI, but also has seen his share of all-age and alumni corps and appreciates what those corps bring to to the table. Probably because I'm the same way, along with a whole bunch of other drum corps fans.... I obviously spend more time with the DCA side of the activity, but I also really enjoy the junior corps and alumni corps for what they do.

So have a nice day. Don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out, my friend.

Fran