DCA is "filling a void" left by DCI's Super Corps Model

Why should I do that? 'Cuz you said so? Sorry, I'm not your serf.

Besides, the point of this thread is how the two circuits treat their smaller members. DCI has made life harder for theirs, and DCA has made life easier for theirs, or so the OP reasoning goes. Either you can prove that yourself or not. In any case, what would be the purpose of eliminating them from the analysis?

I only was responding to the narrow point that you were pushing one particular statistic, and your spin on that one went against reality. Apparently, you can't refute that, or else you wouldn't be trying to deflect my point.

Out of curiosity, in your analysis, did you include the A division for DCA? Because if you didn't, then it's unfair to include Open Class in DCI's statistics.

If you did, then interesting numbers.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, in your analysis, did you include the A division for DCA? Because if you didn't, then it's unfair to include Open Class in DCI's statistics.

If you did, then interesting numbers.

Meaghan, Dales numbers include both Open and Class A DCA corps. If anyone wants to look further (farther?) try www.srcorps.com for an online DCA Prelims/Finals rundown. Only thing is, some years Prelims is broken down to Open and Class A and some years they are grouped together (sorry Ron).

Meaghan, Dales numbers include both Open and Class A DCA corps. If anyone wants to look further (farther?) try www.srcorps.com for an online DCA Prelims/Finals rundown. Only thing is, some years Prelims is broken down to Open and Class A and some years they are grouped together (sorry Ron).

Well that's just because Class A has only existed for 10 years now.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :huh:

B.R.U.T.A.L.

We bite at each other and #### on the point.

When it collapses under it's own weight, we will long for "the good old days" and say "woulda, coulda, shoulda."

Where can we create a value proposition outside the Super Corps model that leads to meaningful competitive participation?

Statistics are not a value proposition. "Proving" that one circuit folded more corps than another circuit? What are we doing?

Am I so alone in the argument that says "weekend / limited tour corps can still generate a phenominal and valuable product without breaking the bank?"

Appreciation, celebration, local flavor, opportunity, regional diversity and longevity...

What part of this argument is so difficult to digest?

Tom, I found this and felt it might be a good representation of what a DCA corps can do. It is Westshoremen from 1996, and was their DCI Championship performance. It should be pretty close to their final product since it was just a few weeks before their DCA Finals performance.

Westshoreman 1996

that #1 bass looks pretty good!

:huh:

an awful lot of under 21 year old kids in that corps too.

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

I guess many people don't get it. DCI IS dying. The reasons for its demise began before DCI existed. The need to exist as a "full time" corps in order to be competetive began when the western corps traveled east and practiced all the way across the country. The worst part of the process is that DCI failed to recognize or care about what was happening. I watched corps after corps disappear for dozens of "reasons" There was one HUGE reason == they couldn't find enough kids that wanted to or could afford to take the whole summer off to march.

Worst yet is that the corps that did remain as weekend warriors both for philosphical and practical reasons were often ridiculed for not being "real", etc, etc, DCA has always been a weekend activity -- that's why the corps still exist and the activity still survives --- NOT thanks to DCI.

Tim

Corps 1958-1998

Edited by clevelandsop

Am I so alone in the argument that says "weekend / limited tour corps can still generate a phenominal and valuable product without breaking the bank?"

No, Joey, you're not alone in the argument. However, the people who are with you already believe it. The ones who aren't, don't. Those are the ones you need to convince, and either you haven't been convincing enough yet, or you never will be.

What part of this argument is so difficult to digest?

Some people don't see the need to digest it. They haven't even INgested yet.

And, it could be that the people who are resistant to your point here aren't even really the ones who need to hear it. There was one (?) Open Class director who checked in? I don't go into the Open Class forum here, but have you posted in there? It seems to me that's the audience for your ideas. Tom and MikeD and the others here who don't/won't buy it, don't really need to. They don't represent the decision-makers who still may not even be aware of what you're trying to say.

This thread, while interesting, isn't the ultimate destination for this discussion.

Well that's just because Class A has only existed for 10 years now.

My bad Sayre, I was only looking at the 2000s scores and didn't post that.

Which brings up a Prelims question. For DCA Prelims the corps order is determined by rankings based on how they did during the season. Anyone know if DCA Prelims has the corps that have declared Class A status on first then the Open Class. Or are they all grouped together which means the classes could get mixed together toward the middle of the pack.

IIRC, Rons scores on srcorps.com are straight from the DCA Program so wondering why DCA didn't separate Prelims scores by Class since Class A started.

IIRC, Rons scores on srcorps.com are straight from the DCA Program so wondering why DCA didn't separate Prelims scores by Class since Class A started.

Can't say for sure....but one possible reason is because the preliminary contest is, in one sense, one big contest. Any corps that scores in the top ten becomes an open-class finalist, regardless of what class they declared beforehand.