The Cavaliers: Lackluster Endings?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a thread about Cavies, but I have to say pound for pound Madison has consistently had the best endings of any corps. I can't think of one other corps that has generated as many throw your babies stadium shaking crowd responses as Madison has.

1. To Whoever said the Cadet's closer was more difficult than Phantoms--

A large chunk of the Cadets closer the brass wasn't even playing.

2. To the same person that said Phantom was all jazz running at a 6-5,

Watch the video again. I don't see anybody going smaller than 4-5. The Cadet's didn't have a part with everybody jazz running at once either.

Cadet's closer was more difficult. Though they weren't playing, they had so much responsibility. To pull off an oblique company front at a 6-5 with tight intervals is very difficult, especially when everyone came in different directions.

Granted, Phantom pulled off a big move where everyone was jazz running. However, you CANNOT say that nobody was going smaller than 4-5. I clearly saw that not everyone was not going at such a step size. The mellophones leading the pack and some people behind them were doing a legit 4-5, IIRC. However, the back end of the hornline was not.

I haven't seen the DVDs in quite a while, but I do remember this.

I know this is a thread about Cavies, but I have to say pound for pound Madison has consistently had the best endings of any corps. I can't think of one other corps that has generated as many throw your babies stadium shaking crowd responses as Madison has.

...consistency...maybe for a little in the 90s

Cadet's closer was more difficult. Though they weren't playing, they had so much responsibility. To pull off an oblique company front at a 6-5 with tight intervals is very difficult, especially when everyone came in different directions.

Granted, Phantom pulled off a big move where everyone was jazz running. However, you CANNOT say that nobody was going smaller than 4-5. I clearly saw that not everyone was not going at such a step size. The mellophones leading the pack and some people behind them were doing a legit 4-5, IIRC. However, the back end of the hornline was not.

I haven't seen the DVDs in quite a while, but I do remember this.

Lol...i love how this entire discussion is based on step sizes. How about the fact that the cadets closer was 20 or 30 clicks faster? How about the complexity of the parts, or the quality of sound during them. I havent watched an 07 show in months, so its not really fresh in my mind, but its amazing how people generalize about something so complex. Honestly, theyre both 2 of my favorite moments of 2007, so i dont really give a crap either way....

Man, I guess I'm in the minority when I say the Cavies '06 ending was extremely anticlimactic (bordering on flat-out boring) for me. I remember seeing it at finals and thinking "That's it? It's over? Huh..."

Edited by MagicBobert

Man, I guess I'm in the minority when I say the Cavies '06 ending was extremely anticlimactic (bordering on flat-out boring) for me. I remember seeing it at finals and thinking "That's it? It's over? Huh..."

It was 'fitting'...like a lot of times, they tend to sacrifice a loud ending for one that fits the show. It worked, but i didnt really find it anything special about it.....

As a huge fan of the Cavies, I think almost all of their endings are great. The 007 show in 04 was one of the few that left me flat. I think it was the several songs pieced together that just didn't quite seem to fit up to the quality of the rest of the show. I think they have had some fantastic endings including 2000, 02, 98, 03, 05 and 06, as far as the most recent shows go. 07 the entire show was just a little weak from the comparison of their shows of the last 7 years. Still a great show overall, just not as exciting musically or visually as we have been used to seeing. So other than 04 and 07, I really love almost all of their endings and would hardly find them lackluster. I think one thing that is a factor for most people is the fact their entire show is usually nothing short of amazing from a visual standpoint, where as some other corps try to just get the most out of the last minute of the show. I would gladly take 10 minutes of awesome show over 9 minutes of good show and an amazing ending.

I don' t think there's anything wrong with their endings at all really. I thought the 03 ending was genius.

yep, pretty tired of hearing things like this in like every thread.... we know, give it a rest.

Edited by baristeve

I think most corps have lackluster endings these days.

Bluecoats '06: Thought the show would have been better without the flat silent ending.

Bluecoats '07: What an awkward place for a major chord. I find picardy thirds amusing at times, but I thought it flat-out didn't work last season.

Madison '04 and '05: Hold out long note, have drummers repeat same figure over and over, slowing down over the course of time. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Phantom in recent years: Modulate a few times with mellophone counterpoint. If all else fails, pull out the leg kick again.

BD '06: I thought it was just kind of randomly tacked on.

BD '07: I like this ending, and thought the resolution was pretty satisfying.

Cavs '05: Was difficult but not tremendously effective.

Cavs '06: Thought it was effective and entertaining.

Cavs '07: Felt tacked on. Unison didn't work as well as it did in '06.

SCV '07: Ending felt tacked on. The silent ending worked much better in 2000 than it did here.

Cadets '05: Thought it was anticlimactic.

Could do more, but I think I got my point across.