Indy finals housing

I was just thinking--with Indy hosting finals for the next 10 years, how willing are Indiana high schools (known for their intense competitive marching programs) to give up facilities (rehearsal fields/parking lots, etc.) to host a corps for Finals week? I know many corps have staff connections with bands in the area (Cavaliers with Carmel through Saucedo, Crown with Avon) but what about the rest?

Also, what about the prospects of having a secure site for 10 years? I'm sure most corps are looking to develop a relationship with a high school in the area so they can count on them every year for finals. But what if something happens (stubborn athletic director, change in leadership, incident at a school--anything can happen) and a corps loses its site for the rest of the Indy tenure? With other corps occupying the other area schools, it could be hard to find a new spot.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a HUGE number of high schools in and around the immediate Indianapolis area, and not all of them have competitive marching programs.

There is a HUGE number of high schools in and around the immediate Indianapolis area, and not all of them have competitive marching programs.

The question may be, though, that if a HS does not have a competitive MB program, are they likely to be tuned into drum corps to the extent of being willing/able to house one?

The band I write for and teach has wanted to house a corps every year for the past three years, and each year the admin shoots us down.

I can tell you for a fact that DCI is pounding the pavement to make ensure there is plenty of adequate housing. Additionally, they are really focusing on community support and long term relationships.

:tongue:

I think that with the amount of local government and commerce support DCI has in the Indy area, you not only have DCI resources looking at the housing issue but the local gov and commerce officials as well. I have to believe that is quite a strong negoiating team out there looking to secure facilities.

I also have to think that DCI would not have made the move to Indy without some level of assurance on this issue to begin with.

John

I hope that the housing this year for Finals is better than last year. I know that this is a topic in the World Class forum, but last year two Open class corps had to stay in a motel and weren't given a field, or parking lot, or anything for that matter, to practice on and had to seek out for themselves a place to practice. On the bright side, it was between a Starbucks and a 7-11.

Thanks DCI!

Indy Area has some very big schools. My High School (Ben Davis) could have 2 or 3 corps there without running into each other. It's like a college campus.

The band I write for and teach has wanted to house a corps every year for the past three years, and each year the admin shoots us down.

On what grounds?