Open Class Sizes

I visited Teal's Memorial Day weekend camp and was able to observe all captions in rehearsals. IIRC...

67 total brass (don't remember trumpet/flugel/mellos totals)

22 baris/euphs

12 tubas

7-9 snares

3 tenors

6 basses

5-6 plates

9 (?) pit

16 guard? Don't remember specific count.

3 DM's

Something like 144 including alternates contracted already. There were a few new members in for the weekend from recently defunct corps. A very good ensemble for pre-move in's. Young and inexpeienced like we were when I was in Sky, but good.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger isn't always better

Bigger isn't better in DCI b/c of the Theory of "The More The Merrier." It is better, in quality only, and only generally (compare Pioneer and Spartans, or AZ when they were OC), because the better you are the more who want to be "like" you. Admit it, that's why most of us march...to be a part of "that" corps. We refer to them as the "Big" boys, or the "Big 3." A term, only, admittedly. But the top 6 are the ones who host 600 auditionees, not Teal, Jersey or Spartans, et al. Not bashing anyone.

Simply put, the more you audition, the more saw something they wanted to be a part of, the better the ensemble is going to be.

Is bigger automatically better? Na'ah. Look at mini corps. Look at the Marine D&BC. And compare those to, say, Crossmen, just to name a WC corps.

But that being said, the "small" corps don't draw 600 to auditions, so the talent is not the same calibre. It was told to me recently, in reference to audition numbers at top corps, that if you want to fill 72 in the hornline, you'd better be auditioning around 150 minimum. 150 member corps? Audition 300 minimum. That from an OC expert.

If you know statistics, in that you've taken courses in the subject, you understand the idea of averages and bell curve and quality of, say, auditionees. Lots of other factors, intangibles come into the equation, too. But in general, when you audition 600 you're going to have a better cross-section than a population of even 300 auditionees when the 600 include veterans and the 300 are rookie-heavy.

Is bigger better? Not necessarily. Statistically-speaking, you can defeat that statement--if you're talking about Blast vs the U. of Michigan Marching Band. But when you are talking Blue Devils and Revolution? No comparison.

I visited Teal's Memorial Day weekend camp and was able to observe all captions in rehearsals. IIRC...

67 total brass (don't remember trumpet/flugel/mellos totals)

22 baris/euphs

12 tubas

7-9 snares

3 tenors

6 basses

5-6 plates

9 (?) pit

16 guard? Don't remember specific count.

3 DM's

Something like 144 including alternates contracted already. There were a few new members in for the weekend from recently defunct corps. A very good ensemble for pre-move in's. Young and inexpeienced like we were when I was in Sky, but good.

Actual numbers Teal is going out on road with are as follows:

68 Brass

9 Snares

5 Tenors

6 Basses

6 Cymbals

14 Front Ensemble

24 Guard

3 Drum Majors

135 Total

Memphis currently has 24 in the brassline, and we're looking for at least four more. We'd prefer contras and mellophones, but any and all are welcome. You can send an email my way (though I may not be able to check it more than once a day) if you are either interested or know of anyone who would be.

ouch! i seriously do not see a repeat with them this year. 24?!?! hmm. maybe they CAN take on the 140+ strong Teal...who knows?

I just listened to Dan Potter on the Field Pass. He said that he's going to be profiling several Open Class corps over the next few weeks. Today was the first installment with Bob Jacobs from J. Surf. Good to see the Open corps getting some love from above. :smile:

Edited by EndzoneEric

I just listened to Dan Potter on the Field Pass. He said that he's going to be profiling several Open Class corps over the next few weeks. Today was the first installment with Bob Jacobs from J. Surf. Good to see the Open corps getting some love from above. :ninja:

I was very impressed with Bob Jacobs in that interview. He is clearly do the right things at Surf to provide a great experience for the kids and the fans.