Toughest Sport in the World....Boxing? Or DCI?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more people die every year from fishing than any other sport...probably more than all others combined...

fishing is the toughest... :tongue:

Most of those die from commercial fishing, not leisure fishing or competitive fishing

To the OP: Drum corps isn't a sport, so boxing wins by default (not a knockout)

As someone said in an earlier post, there have been a few threads over the years debating whether drum corps is a sport or not. The horse may have been beaten, but this is a new horse ready to take a beaten. Here's my criteria for calling something a sport:

1. Must involve physical skill.

2. Must be competitive.

3. Outcome of competition must be decided objectively.

You don't have to be able to affect your opponents' game directly in order for it to be a sport. You can't do anything to your opponent in golf, track and field, gymnastics, or alpine skiing, but they're all sports because they have the 3 criteria listed above. So do baseball, hockey, curling, and tennis, but you can also affect your opponents' games directly as well.

Poker is definately not a sport, PLEASE. No physical skill involved. It's competitive and its outcomes are objective, but you're sitting at a table behind a pair of Ray-Bans drinking beer!

Drum corps is not a sport because although it involves physical skill and it's competitive, the outcome is not decided objectively. Yes, that means that competitive cheerleading and probably ice dancing aren't sports either. I don't know exactly how subjective the judging is with those activities, or figure skating, or some gymnastics events, but I know for sure that drum corps' judging is way too subjective to be considered a sport.

Drum corps is definitely a sport I think, BUT I don't think its nearly the hardest. It's definitely harder than most high school teams, or even college sports teams, but I don't think that its harder than say the NFL for example. They don't have a routine during a game, they have to develope strategies real time and, I know you shouldn't in drum corps, but they definitely can't go through the motions. They're in better shape too I think, I mean.... just look at them. It doesn't have as much stress either, because obviously drum corps fills up less than half of a stadium for finals, when big NFL or even college games fill up the entire stadium, and you're there in front of everybody. If you mess up, everyone will see it happen, not to mention that it's also on television a lot of the times. Mentally and physically I think there are many harder sports than drum corps, not to say DCI isn't hard, because it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

They don't have a routine during a game, they have to develope strategies real time and, I know you shouldn't in drum corps, but they definitely can't go through the motions.

Sure they do, they have plays with multiple route options which depend on defensive coverage and you can be sure that they run all those routes numerous times in practices. You can't go through the motions in Drum Corps either because you could have a tempo fluctuation or ensemble tear and need to deal with it on the fly.

You give Tyson too much credit. Hopkins would be Don King, with better hair.

... and Hoffman would be more like Chuck "The Bayonne Bleeder" Wepner.

Like it or not, for most people drum corps is something that happens at half-time DURING SPORTS. Until our little niche activity gains in popularity at least 100 fold, the public will never think of drum corps as a legitimate sport.

Sure they do, they have plays with multiple route options which depend on defensive coverage and you can be sure that they run all those routes numerous times in practices. You can't go through the motions in Drum Corps either because you could have a tempo fluctuation or ensemble tear and need to deal with it on the fly.

Well, I thought someone would bring that up, and you're right, but thats not exactly what I meant, I was vague on that. I meant whether or not you should go left or right to avoid this person, how you should take another person down, or something like that (I'm no football expert).