Why are bugle bells silver?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bad" would be one for me, though. As for the question, I don't know if there's any particular reason; years ago there were corps that used brass horns. Durability of plating vs. lacquer would be a reason to choose if you're buying a marching horn, but it's just been that way for the most part. Every horn I've seen in person that dates from before 1975 has been silver.

In the past, several corps used brass colored or gold horns. The Braintree Warriors in the old EMASS circuit were one of these corps..

Edited by bluehull

If I remember correctly, the bugles we played on were coated, not solid silver. Silver also tends to be quite a bit softer than brass.

Definite plating as I've seen contras where the silver was worn off in places. And the silver plate is a LOT easier to scratch and damage than the older horns I've played. For corps that use horns for a long period of time it's something to be concerned about. Horn I play was bought used and has a lot of surface scratches on the bell. Person next to me had their horn replated and makes me half sick when I look at mine.

Anyone know when the silver plating was started for horns?

LOL, have a horn made in the late 30s and was told that the plating process was the same as used for car bumpers at the time. Being an old car club member I got a double kick outta that. :rolleyes:

<<Why are drum corps bugles silver and not brass-colored? Someone once told me that the silver finish made for a better tone quality. But that doesn’t seem right. If that were true, wouldn’t most professional brass players use silver instruments?>>

This is something that goes through fads and trends just like anything else. However, if you look at a professional brass section, the trumpets and tubas are far more likely to be silver instruments, while trombones and horns are more likely to be yellow- or rose-brass. Last night when the Syracuse Symphony Orchestra played Le Sacre du printemps, for example, there were 9 horns (two doubling on Wagner tubas), three trombones, two tubas (each playing two different horns) four trumpets and bass trumpet on stage. All four of the trumpets (including the picc) were silver plated. 3/4 tubas were, and I believe 4/9 horns were. All the trombones, the bass trumpet, the small F tuba, the Wagner tubas, and 5/9 horns were lacquer or raw. That means, by my count 12/23 instruments on stage were silver or silver plated. A small majority, but a majority none the less. For a while it was a huge trend for trumpet players to strip their horns down to raw brass. A lot of it is just preference. I have silver-plated horns just because the finish lasts longer that way, and it's easier to clean them, and easier to polish them up nice, and I'm guessing that's why corps use them.

OK, given my screen name...

Solid silver bells tend to be A LOT darker than brass/gold/lacquer. However, silver plated are quite a bit brighter.

If I remember correctly, the bugles we played on were coated, not solid silver. Silver also tends to be quite a bit softer than brass.

So, considering DC hornlines are so butt loud, I'm guessing the silver thing is just for differentiation since solid silver would cure some of the bright effect.

Also interesting the number of schools that now use silver marching brass. Maybe a "we can afford it" thing for U of Michigan versus others? Of course, price being an issue for DC's on every turn, that can't be the reason. Could explain all the folded corps.

Solid silver horns? Wouldn't a sop, oops sorry "trumpet" cost like 35,000.00?? I think it would be sweet if a corps came out with all brass(i.e. "gold") hornline. Let's face it, your average dinkus doesn't care much about light and dark, that's for ice cream, not drum corps.

There are many words I would use to describe the sound of chrome bugles, but "dark" isn't one of them.

All depends on who's playing them.

Truth is, chrome bugles sound awesome when played by capable players. Pity. I guess you've never had the pleasure to hear good players playing them.

Lot's of people condemn chrome bugles and they've never even played on them or even heard them played by a good hornline.

The car bumper comparisons are funny, but not true.

Most chrome bugles were very well made., especially, the OLDS Ultratones.

Good horn + good player = great sound, (doesn't matter what the plating is)

Good horn + bad player = bad sound, (doesn't matter what the plating is)

I think it would be sweet if a corps came out with all brass(i.e. "gold") hornline.

Gold as in laqured? If you're referring the bare brass finish, I'll agree with you, the Tuba I hope to buy in a few weeks is bare brass and it gets a gorgeous tone.