Fan Friendly shows of 2007

Well, let's look at it from this point-of-reference:

Scouts: "Kashmir" is a staple of almost every classic or mixed-format rock station there is; practically everyone can recognize it. Much like Carolina Crown and "William Tell", there is no attempt to hide the melody amongst rococo meanderings or make it part of a larger subtext. Everyone can relate to the rock beat and the constant "bumpa-bump, bumpa-bump" ostinato in a lizard brain sort of way, just like with most rock music.

That's what I take away from it in the context of "fan friendliness", anyway.

All good points in terms of the song kashmir,...........but I also loved the alanis morisette opener into kashmir, I thought the visual package was very powerful, and the fans in the stands (including me) were screaming even before the first hit, before kashmir,................

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I just read that? All these people putting Madison in the top five fan friendly shows of 2007? Talk about judges slotting. That's a reputation pick if there ever was one.

No offense to the men from Madison. Nice show. Top billing in any category - no way.

HH

How could you tell ME "no way" I was in the stands for three days in Pasadena and was lucky to have seen the top 12 three times and two viewings for the rest.......

And I too said Scouts had a fun show I picked in my top 5 as well......

Edited by Cop

Did I just read that? All these people putting Madison in the top five fan friendly shows of 2007? Talk about judges slotting. That's a reputation pick if there ever was one.

No offense to the men from Madison. Nice show. Top billing in any category - no way.

HH

A reputation pick? :smile: Give me a break. It's the opposite. People loved the Scouts show because it was exciting, entertaining, etc..., not because it placed "top 6."

My top 5

Scouts

Crown

Coats

BAC

Cadets

Is that all it takes? Recognizing the melody? Granted, that's a good thing in many cases. But enough to rate the show among the top five fan friendly shows?

(snip)

I think it's more complex that simple repertoire. And I still think Madison is getting by on reputation, which is fine.

HH

I found Madison 2007 to be extremely fan friendly. It's the show I've shown newbies for a lot of reasons:

1. The slow development of the Morisette tune, the brilliant fade from singing to playing, and the stop-step move all in the opening 90 seconds makes every newbie I've met go "OMG that's so cool!" It's a major hook, and it works.

2. Kashmir - excellent arranging, accessible tune, makes my newbie friends want to keep watching - and more importantly learn about other corps too.

3. The incomplete fleur-de-lis motif is an excellent introduction to visual design at the DCI level.

Madison 2007 is good, solid drum corps with a vibe that is different than the oft-frenetic stuff thrown at an audience by many corps. People loved it - why is that hard to believe? Just because some of us "fans" have different opinions doesn't make it any less fan-friendly. Most "fans" see 1 show a year and I bet you most of those folks remember all the stuff I talked about far more vividly than anything put on the field by the top 3.

Other fan friendlies from this year:

Crossmen

Troopers (honk! :smile: )

Crown

Pac Crest (though I didn't personally find it to my tastes I'd have to include it in this list)

I didn't see a lot of shows last year so I can't make a definitive list, but that's a start for me.

Madison 2007 is good, solid drum corps with a vibe that is different than the oft-frenetic stuff thrown at an audience by many corps. People loved it - why is that hard to believe? Just because some of us "fans" have different opinions doesn't make it any less fan-friendly. Most "fans" see 1 show a year and I bet you most of those folks remember all the stuff I talked about far more vividly than anything put on the field by the top 3.

Without denying your enjoyment of Madison's show, I'm certain you're not correct that "most of those folks remember" Madison's performance "far more vividly than anything put on the field by the top 3." You didn't say it, but I'd add that most folks in the crowd this summer remember Crown and Bluecoats, maybe Colts or even Blue Stars more than Madison too.

That's not to say that Madison didn't put on a good show. But a good show for the crowd means more than a concept. On the field there were programs and performances friendlier to the fan this summer. At least that's what I think.

HH

Without denying your enjoyment of Madison's show, I'm certain you're not correct that "most of those folks remember" Madison's performance "far more vividly than anything put on the field by the top 3." You didn't say it, but I'd add that most folks in the crowd this summer remember Crown and Bluecoats, maybe Colts or even Blue Stars more than Madison too.

That's not to say that Madison didn't put on a good show. But a good show for the crowd means more than a concept. On the field there were programs and performances friendlier to the fan this summer. At least that's what I think.

HH

i'm guessing your concept of fan friendly is different than others here. If I was to bring someone to a show that knew absolutely nothing about drum corps, I would bet a dollar to a dime that Madison would be in their top 2 or 3 corps. Why? A grabbing opening...the marching was cool...simple, yet difficult, set to a song that most people know. Then Kashmir....everyone knows Kashmir. How many non-corps/band fans know Phillip Glass? David Brubeck? Practically none. How many know Alanis Morissette? Led Zeppelin? Almost all...

To some, fan friendly means they could ALMOST close their eyes, and enjoy the show almost as much as if they had their eyes glued to the field. Sure, a corps could march 200bpm in the most fantastic designs known to man, but if the music isn't enjoyable, it's just visual art, with noise in the background.

Fan friendly is more about the music than the marching, imho, and the more popular or recognizable the music, the more fan-friendly.

i'm guessing your concept of fan friendly is different than others here. If I was to bring someone to a show that knew absolutely nothing about drum corps, I would bet a dollar to a dime that Madison would be in their top 2 or 3 corps. Why? A grabbing opening...the marching was cool...simple, yet difficult, set to a song that most people know. Then

Granted our criteria might be different. But rather than define fans as those who know nothing about drum corps, I'd define "fan" as someone who knows something about drum corps even if not an expert.

I brought two friends to Pasadena last year. One had seen maybe half a dozen shows in his life. The other was a drum corps virgin. Their response to the shows Thursday and Friday was much like the others around me and the many fans I heard from that week and last year. Crown, Bluecoats, Phantom, Cadets, BD were the talk. Madison wasn't hardly mentioned.

It's possible my anecdotal experiences were skewed and somehow unrepresentative. But I doubt it. I didn't choose my neighbors in the Rose Bowl. And I talked drum corps with strangers (yep, that was me) and not just friends. It seems incongruous there's such alignment in this selective sample and none in my random travels.

HH

Granted our criteria might be different. But rather than define fans as those who know nothing about drum corps, I'd define "fan" as someone who knows something about drum corps even if not an expert.

I brought two friends to Pasadena last year. One had seen maybe half a dozen shows in his life. The other was a drum corps virgin. Their response to the shows Thursday and Friday was much like the others around me and the many fans I heard from that week and last year. Crown, Bluecoats, Phantom, Cadets, BD were the talk. Madison wasn't hardly mentioned.

It's possible my anecdotal experiences were skewed and somehow unrepresentative. But I doubt it. I didn't choose my neighbors in the Rose Bowl. And I talked drum corps with strangers (yep, that was me) and not just friends. It seems incongruous there's such alignment in this selective sample and none in my random travels.

HH

How dare any of us place the Madison Scouts 2007 show in a list of fan friendly.

It's clear to me now that we all know nothing about drum corps and can only follow what Glory has thought out for us.

How dare any of us place the Madison Scouts 2007 show in a list of fan friendly.

It's clear to me now that we all know nothing about drum corps and can only follow what Glory has thought out for us.

How dare you miss the point. I think it was more that EVERYONE here was doing it, which did not line up with what he experienced during the season. But go ahead and paint him as a generalizer (nice made up word) if you feel it makes your argument stronger.... :smile:

I'm going to throw this in the hopper and see what happens. The fans are the people sitting in the stands, and it's not exactly rocket science to list which corps elicited the greatest reaction from the fans at any given event. I see all of these bizarre justifications for why such and such show is fan friendly and such and such show isn't, and it results in a slight headache for me.

Stop. Observe. Notate. Post.