Most difficult trumpet feature

So what in your opinion was the hardest, most difficult trumpet or soprano lick/feature in drum corps history? Your opinion may be based on how the lick/feature sounded to you as an audience member or from the perspective of a performer.

Discuss.

Edited by iloveamps

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we include soprano licks as well? Since the difficulty and complexity of music performed during the G bugle days is at a significantly higher level than it is today, this is a must.

Well, I can't think of many off the top of my head. But that cadets double tounge feature this year was sick

I don't remember which year it was, but I believe it was the mid-1980s when Blue Devils had a soprano feature that sounded impossible to play. I think they did that sort of thing two or three years in-a-row. Anyone know what I'm specifically remembering?

87 BD Spanish Dreams sop feature was pretty tough.

Not in a show, but I heard some soprano players waaaaaaayyyyy back in the mid seventies in Whitewater, WI, out in that big open field there just before you would get to the stadium and where all the buses used to park, practicing/playing Leroy Andersons "Buglers Holiday." Couldn't tell you who it was... they were all in shorts and t-shirts. I guess it's not terribly difficult by todays standards, but man they sounded GREAT and there were like 10 of them playing it as I recall. I made my buddy stop and listen as we were walking.

For a brief moment I saw myself switching to a horn... but it passed quickly. Thank God. But never-the-less, I was impressed!! :thumbdown:

From what I've heard, these seem to stand out as the "hardest" in my mind:

Blue Devils 1982- Solo/duet work in One More Time Chuck Corea :thumbdown:

Blue Devils 1986- Solo in Channel One Suite

Velvet Knights 1988- Zorba the Greek soprano duet and Malagueña soprano solo

Blue Devils 1989- Soprano solos in the opener

Blue Devils 1994- The entire hornline lick in the opener

Madison Scouts 1994/5/6- Soprano trio at the end of Malag(ueñ)a

Phantom Regiment 2004- Trumpet licks in the opener

Madison Scouts 2005- Trumpet solo work in the second piece :thumbdown:

Just from the top of my head. I know I'm leaving off a TON, who wants to help me out here? This stuff is some of my favorite in in drum corps...

Edited by Hrothgar15