Rehearsal bag

Don't forget about IB profin or some kind of over the counter pain reliever...even if u dont need it someone else does. DCT, corps required items and H2o are needed...sunblock is for people who only burn- luckily all my freckles blending together made me look really tan!

but really there isn't much need for a 'bag' cept your suitcase and sleepin gear...in drum corps i learned the more you tried to be prepared the more you fell behind. Best thing to do is march and play well, and make friends with the rook that has three carry on bags and a lot of friends when there's a break.

cw

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

used a backpack

DCT

sunscreen (didn't use as the season went on... came back out for Denver, and some in the south)

music binder

drill binder

valve oil

slide greese

hat

horn towel (or on the shoulder)

pencils (like a million... never actually lost hardly any though)

gloves, and extra gloves

bug spray (which I never really used...)

horn polish = rags

poncho

trash bags

dot book

... water bottle went in the left hand walking to rehearsal sites.

Edited by soccerguy315

A) What did you use as a rehearsal bag? Did it prove to be useful or did it just get in the way?

I used a backpack I bought at Walmart in 2005. It was and still is very useful.

B) What did you keep in there? Everything, or just about nothing?

For Rehearsal: horn towel(s), music, dot book(s), lots of pencils, extra shoe string, DCT, valve oil, slide grease, extra gloves, my F horn mouthpiece (for buzzing since bringing my F horn on tour is not very feasible), t-shirt for meal times, polishing rags, asthma inhaler, Advil, my old UMI/CKB Mello 6 mouthpiece + mouthpiece protector, SPF 50 sunscreen, tropical-scented bug spray (IT EXISTS! I won't buy any other kind, lol), hats, glasses.

I attach my water bottle with a keyring thing.

Added when I'm on the bus: my running shoes and purse with cell phone, digital camera, and money.

C) How many seasons did it last?

It's going on its fourth season of use, and it's still in great condition. I just need to throw it in the washer because it still smells like sweat and sunscreen from last summer, woops.

Ooh, I forgot about medication. I have a big ol' bottle of extra strength tylenol. Took 11 in one day once in 2006. There was always some guy on the tuba line who had some "leftover" Vicodin or something crazy like that from an old injury, but I wasn't gonna touch that. And I did have my horn towel in '04 and '06 when we used them. My bag was usually so messed up by sweat, dirty, spilled sunscreen and DCT and valve oil, etc., and so faded by the sun that I chucked it at the end of the season. In '06 I brought a tuner so I could save the day when the techs would say "####, anyone have a tuner?" which was often.

Rehearsal bag?

Wow. kids are so organized these days. We used to show up to practice or be on tour with whatever was in our horn case (valve oil and what not), but once we left the horn cases and hit the field it was nothing but the horn, a hat, and some blitex (no such thing as chopsavers back then).

We didn't have bottled water back then, and noone but the chaperones likely thought about aspirin.

I don't ever remember having a "dot book," I had to ask my daughter what that is . . . as far as I remember it was - "at this part of the show you are here", so many counts, or at this music cue . . . data data da, oblique to the left or whatever, practice that a gajillion times, and it was automatic.

Edited by jdostie

jdostie, I could show you a dotbook that would blow your mind...every single set (161 if I recall correctly) with counts, measure numbers, foot placement on direction changes, dress and guide points, music written in, a small version of the drawn to scale on a grid with labels and highlighted by section, and any other relevant notes. That's probably the most extreme extent of the dotbook theory, and mine was exceptional even for my corps, but everyone has something similar. No disrespecti, it's just interesting how things are done these days vs. back in the day.

jdostie, I could show you a dotbook that would blow your mind...every single set (161 if I recall correctly) with counts, measure numbers, foot placement on direction changes, dress and guide points, music written in, a small version of the drawn to scale on a grid with labels and highlighted by section, and any other relevant notes. That's probably the most extreme extent of the dotbook theory, and mine was exceptional even for my corps, but everyone has something similar. No disrespecti, it's just interesting how things are done these days vs. back in the day.

Dotbooks are silly. At least, dotbooks that are that detailed are.

I just used a regular school backpack. It contained: Music, warm run-through clothes, sunblock, bugspray, horn towel, gloves, trash bags, fannypack (which held my tuner, dotbook, and pencils), valve oil.

The only things I had which most people didn't was a plain white undershirt, which I'd wrap around my neck ala Lawrence of Arabia, and a book of crossword puzzles for downtime.

This is always an area where KISS applies

In order of importance

-Gold Bond(Green Bottle)

-Chopsaver

-Water Jug

-Suncreen

-Dot book

-Music Binder

-Drill Binder

-Valve Oil

-Pencils

-2 in 1 Tuner/Met

-Wallet

-iPod

-Cellphone

The only reason I had my cellphone and ipod with me was because of my corps policy on electronic devices. We are only allowed to charge them during floor time so that we don't have people stealing our stuff. My bag was really nice, and it had little clips for expansion that I used to carry my water jug, and black towel. So far it has made it through two tours and two school years, and it doesn't look ready to give up yet! :grouphug:

Edited by madd227

What is the statute of limitations on describing what was in the "bag"?

:grouphug:

Garry in Vegas