A question to the members of the Cadets of the last few years

Please...please, dont twist what I said. First of all, Hop always reads letters and emails that he gets to us. Some of them are good, some are bad. I never said it was necessary, or motivational to be honest. Normally we just laughed about it and moved on. If you ever marched (or had a clue), you would know how long and tedious those days / weeks / months get, and you'd probably understand how much the average corps member longs to hear something from the outside world. I also dont really recall an 'us against the world' mentality. Even in the really tough years, more people liked the corps then not, so that was never really a problem.

As far as your assertion that 'its just drum corps', well no, its not. When you live / breathe / eat something all day every day for that many months, its kinda sorta YOUR LIFE. Oh, and its called Kool-Aide, and we usually passed it up in favor of 'orange drink'. Figure it out.... :smile:

Nick, I love you.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and from several members of Star, I understand that they had money thrown at them, and were called the "Mickey Money Corps"...

From what I understand, the Midwest crowds were terrible to them.

This is true!! I was offered a shoe deal with Nike, but, I turned it down for the Adidas deal!!! :smile:

Tony Taylor

Oh, and from several members of Star, I understand that they had money thrown at them, and were called the "Mickey Money Corps"...

From what I understand, the Midwest crowds were terrible to them.

Ohhhhh really? We did? Where was I? Show me the money!!!

M-I-C

See ya at finals

K-E-Y

Why? Cause we've got Bill Cook's money!!!!

That was the only song I heard about in 1985, but the crowds were not bad at all. Actually, they loved us when we were all pink and cute and not beating anyone. But once we started winning...

Nick, I love you.

More than orange drink???

Where did you march? I just want to know if you would feel the same way if you had marched in a drum corps that always gets so much crap for almost everything it does.

Which goes all the way back to MY Cadet era, 1970, with our Peace Sign, 1971's total themed show complete with printed libretto and 1972's "No More War" show. Nothing new for Holy Name!

:smile:

Please...please, dont twist what I said. First of all, Hop always reads letters and emails that he gets to us.

Ymmv, but I find it best not to attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by mis-reading <$1 to Heinlein>. Perhaps Glad To Be Hear thought that reading emails to you was a new development that year because of your phrasing. You said "That year, we really bought into whole 'innovative' thing, and it showed in the fact that we didnt really care what people thought. George made a habit of reading us hate mail or funny posts from dcp as a way of motivation."

I can see that you meant he had made a habit of reading hate mail etc. for some years, but I hope you can see that Glad To Be Hear didn't have to twist what you said to misapprehend you.

I never said it was necessary, or motivational to be honest.

Perhaps Glad To Be Hear thought that reading emails to you was a motivational tool because you said "George made a habit of reading us hate mail or funny posts from dcp as a way of motivation." :smile:

If you ever marched (or had a clue), ...

I try not to read too much into what people write, but this just makes you look mean-spirited. Just for grins, I looked at the profile of Glad To Be Hear. Marched with Southwind and Spirit for a total of three years, apparently.

I also dont really recall an 'us against the world' mentality. Even in the really tough years, more people liked the corps then not, so that was never really a problem.

I hope you can appreciate that this might be a matter about which people can reasonably disagree. I think that, for a performing arts ensemble, to say as you did "we didnt really care what people thought" evinces an us vs. them attitude.

As far as your assertion that 'its just drum corps', well no, its not. When you live / breathe / eat something all day every day for that many months, its kinda sorta YOUR LIFE. Oh, and its called Kool-Aide, and we usually passed it up in favor of 'orange drink'. Figure it out.... :smile:

Concluding your post with a shutup emoticon seems a little harsh. Especially in response to someone who basically supports what you did, and decries all the drama that surrounded it. Best wishes to Hol Garf Berg Hack The for this year,

Robert

Thanks for running a little interference for me, Robert...

Guys, relax. I'm not attacking you or your corps. But I am speaking from my personal experience, conversations I've had with members, staff, etc. over the years. And just impressions I get when reading posts on the forum here. Again, I think the word "controversial" gets used a little carelessly here. And there are drum corps that think -- and take pride in to some degree -- they are being controversial. I don't see anything controversial in drum corps. Never have. I just see groups trying to be creative and push an activity along. Some things work and some don't. (And that's all a matter of opinion.)

And just because someone posts their thoughts on a subject here, don't tell them to "figure it out", and ask them where they marched, and if they have any clue.

And, yes, it is just drum corps. As you get older, you'll gain some perspective...

Thanks for reminding me why I don't post on this forum often. Good luck to all corps in '08!

Haha....ok. I dont remember accusing anyone of 'attacking' my corps. As far as the controversy thing - it depends on the venue. Is anything that occurs in drum corps controversial compared to the economy or the war...no. Can drum corps be controversial in relation to itself - yeah. If a show creates controversy, well then, I would call that controversial...

Oh...and I figured you had marched, but i judge people by their posts, not by reading their profiles. Since you marched, the phrase 'figure it out' really shouldnt make you cry all that much...

And just so you know, I'm on the record as saying that drum corps is downright silly when you step back and look at it- but dont try and force that view onto someone in the middle of a season...