Campsites

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do corps ever share campsites when on tour? Do corps ever get to stay at a hotel/university dormitory?

If no to first question, what do you think it would be like for two corps, possibly rival corps, to share a campsite?

I assume by campsite you mean housing sites and not some Boy Scout "smores and spooky stories" event! :thumbup:

But yes.....they do share sometimes. and yes....corps have stayed in hotels and in dorms.

Showering becomes a "planned" event and if there aren't a great number of fields, it squeezes people in a tad.

When i was marching Div 3, we had to share a gym with another corps. That really sucked.

I remember in 04 for the Bristol Fourth of July Parade, Roger Williams University was VERY BUSY!

Crown pulled in and got to stay in the dorms along with the Boston Crusaders and East Coast Jazz, but just down in the gymnasium on campus the Cadets, Crossmen and Spirit were all sharing the facilities. Needless to say breakfast before the parade the next morning was a little busy.

Also this past year in Arizona, Pacific Crest shared housing sites with Crown. They came in the night before the Regional and used the other 2 fields that we didn't use and then showered while we were on lunch break before they left for the show.

Things happen over the course of the summer and housing sites cancel and corps have to go somewhere.

Do corps ever share campsites when on tour? Do corps ever get to stay at a hotel/university dormitory?

If no to first question, what do you think it would be like for two corps, possibly rival corps, to share a campsite?

When I marched in 03, there was a site in South Carolina where we shared with Memphis Sound and Corpsvets.

When I marched in 04 with Memphis Sound, we shared a housing site with Jersey Surf in Texas on the way to finals (we were in 7th and 8th that year in Div II at that time). We also shared a motel in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with Beatrix (very interesting to say the least) and Teal Sound.

To answer both questions.......Yes and Yes.

sharing of school sites happens a lot. Most of the time it's at a giant school where you don't even notice the other corps. Sometimes, it happens to be a really small place where you have to share the gym and locker rooms.

You kinda just get used to it. ALthough, the first time walking into a shower with another random 100 dudes is kinda awkward at first, but you get used to it.

2000 div 2/3 regional somewhere up in the North East....I remember showering with about 8 different corps at the same time. It was a party....

As for hotels/dorms...yeah...the rare occurance that DCI can't get housing sites, you'll sometimes see a corps in a little hotel. We stayed in a holiday inn i believe it was, during the 2004 season when DCI was in Orlando on tour. A bunch of corps' also have their everydays at universities and stay in their dorms. 2004 Tour of Champions, all 6 corps' stayed at a university together in dorms. That was probably the coolest thing ever. All the food trucks made a giant arc, and everyone just ate from whatever truck they felt.

I love sharing housing sites. Troy University is a awesome one. Every corps gets a section of dorms and a field. In 05 we (kiwanis kavaliers) housed with troopers in the dorm next to us. stayed for 2 days and had a blast! (Mr Duder, Chime in with the fun pool story.) When i was there in 04 with Boston, it was nice too, I had driven all night and got to sleep in a bed.

We shared a site in Mass. with the cavies in 2003. We also borrowed their food truck because ours had some trouble. Other than a few awkward moments with the biege trays, and some funny shower stories, there wasnt too much to talk about

We had a great experience with the Glassmen this summer in Hornell, NY. We both rehearsed all day and at the end of the day we performed our show for each other. The housing site just so happened to be the location of the show site too

We shared the school at the Pt. Huron show with Garfield in 84 (who's idea was THAT???)

any corps share hotels at DCA...and in DCUK our practice field on finals day was almost next to that of Conquest Alliance...the corps that tied us that night.

1979, Meredith College, Raleigh/Durham, NC. Two people to a dorm room, four people sharing the shower in between rooms. Downright luxury on tour.

VK, Bridgemen and Watkins Glen Squires were all there. Site of the "21 Bun Salute" from VK's drumline to Squires drumline in honor of their drum instructor Mr. Kearby.

Garry in Vegas