Why Didn't DCI happen in CA for a second year?

Lol....im not saying its fair, but it is how it is. It would be unreasonable to expect that east coast corps could make the trip every year all the sudden after having never budgeted for it before. Now...i dont think it should be 35 years before they have finals again, but maybe some kind of compromise would be nice....

It's far more reasonable for the west coast corps to pay the expense every year than to expect other corps to face the expenses occasionally - (TIC).

1/6 of the top 12 corps for nearly every year of DCI existance has been from California, some years more, yet DCI has spent one year out of what 35 in California? Of course there are non-finalist corps as well, and Open Class, all of which has to be considered, but when you just look at those numbers . . .

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Names for professional teams don't always make sense anyway, Nancy. Take for example...

LA Lakers - yeah, just a plethora of lakes in the LA area.

Utah Jazz - Oxymoron

Memphis Grizzlies - Even Lewis and Clark didn't see any Grizzly bears in Tennessee.

LA Dodgers - The "Trolley Dodgers" arrived just about the time LA was digging up all their trolley tracks.

Some others just didn't make sense in other ways. Lots of teams have moved and changed their name to something more regionally identified. But why when the Minnesota North Stars moved to Dallas did they not rename themselves the Lone Stars?

If LA gets a team I hope it's an expansion so they can give it a good SoCal name. How about the Shakers? There's already a monir league baseball team called the Quakes.

Garry in Vegas

How about the LA Riot?

(And they can throw up gang signs after a great play)

I'd rather see the Ravens cease to exist (Browns fan).

And I'd also rather see the Supersonics stay in Seattle.

Well there goes 2 of your wins from last year :smile: .....

It's far more reasonable for the west coast corps to pay the expense every year than to expect other corps to face the expenses occasionally - (TIC).

1/6 of the top 12 corps for nearly every year of DCI existance has been from California, some years more, yet DCI has spent one year out of what 35 in California? Of course there are non-finalist corps as well, and Open Class, all of which has to be considered, but when you just look at those numbers . . .

Like i said, i dont think it should be once overy 35 years...maybe something of a compromise (didnt I just say that??? :smile: )

Lol....im not saying its fair, but it is how it is. It would be unreasonable to expect that east coast corps could make the trip every year all the sudden after having never budgeted for it before. Now...i dont think it should be 35 years before they have finals again, but maybe some kind of compromise would be nice....

Yeah, relax about the original comment about the West coast corps being used to it. "Used to it" is not as accurate as they've had a successful business model in place for years such that they can finance their tours.

It is very unreasonable to just tell a corps "Btw you're coming to California this summer because we liked you so much." There are corps that flat out would not be able to afford the trip to go to California in 2008 and would need to prepare financial for a 2009 mid-season campaign west. I think going west would be amazing, from someone who's about to move out there, and if DCI would like to have corps go west more often, then the East coast corps that could be capable should start planning for it. (I agree with most of you that it'd be selfish for a corps that could get there to half-heartedly look at the financials and say We can't do it.)