The Star of Indiana Phenomenon

Ok maybe influential isn't exactly the right word, but it has struck me as of late that no other inactive corps in history continues to generate anywhere close to as much discussion as Star has, now a full 15 years after going inactive. What is it about Star that continues to put them in the center of so many discussions?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they left the activity at the height of their success.

If Cadets had pulled the plug after 1987 we'd hold them in the same regard.

Star '93 was the second iteration of Garfield '85.

We are always left to wonder "what if..." concerning Star.

Yea, it's the James Dean or JFK effect...Dean was only in a few movies before he died, and though he had a reputation for being a solid actor and a heartthrob, his legend was created by his untimely death. JFK was a pretty mediocre president by most counts, but his assassination elevated him to legendary status largely due to the "what if" factor.

Now, Star did amazing things in its few years of competition. The '93 show was one of the most innovative, daring, and musically complex shows ever at the time and maybe even now. The fact that they abruptly left makes everyone think "what if" and adds some special aura to that show.

Because they left the activity at the height of their success.

If Cadets had pulled the plug after 1987 we'd hold them in the same regard.

Star '93 was the second iteration of Garfield '85.

We are always left to wonder "what if..." concerning Star.

Why did they leave the activity in the first place?

Star was the Hendrix, Morrison, Kobain, Buckley (both father and son), et al. of drum corps.

Had each continued on, they would have likely been viewed a bit differently, given the length of years and potential developments and/or inconsistencies.

I think this is quite a fair comparison, as the novelty of their immediate and genius initial ascension would have, eventually, been factored into their ability to remain both consistent and innovative.

Basically, if Star had continued to this day, they would likely be just an incredible corps, rather than bordering on legend.

To me, it seems like Anaheim, Bridgemen, Muchachos, 27th and a few others generate a lot of talk too. Not to take away from Star, but I wouldn't go as far as to say nobody else generates "anywhere close" to as much attention.

True, but I would venture to say that more often than not the corps you listed are mentioned in passing, and not the core of the discussion as Star often seems to be.

Star has been gone for a LONG time. AND they were only here for a short time. Most influential? Definitely not. Can we move on now? Star was SOOOOOO 1993.

Star has been gone for a LONG time. AND they were only here for a short time. Most influential? Definitely not. Can we move on now? Star was SOOOOOO 1993.

LOL!!

In August 1993, a betting man would have not have bet on DCI even surviving until even 1996. The fact that it did and is in the current state today is a near miracle.

In short, DCI, from a business standpoint was an absolute trainwreck at that point. Cook had been helping out, considerably, for several years, but there were some massive changes that were needed. As I understand, he wasn't too keen on throwing good money after bad (understandably so), and any further assistance on getting the business aspects of things more cleaned up was seen as a bit of disproportionate influence from an outsider in what was essentially a rather closed and deeply nepotist group.

Had the changes to DCI that had happened in more recent years been in place in the absolute mess of the early 90's, it could be that the Star organization might have seen a different future in the activity.