IW FINALS

And I love the "(although some do)" comment. I'm sorry, I didn't happen to see you at the WGI arena taking a poll from all of the spectators to get their thoughts. Would have loved to taken part in it.

Maybe one day you can be a big time WGI judge (with your wealth of experience.). Until then, the results are set in stone. Sorry dude.

I don't care about the actual results. My opinion was under fire and I don't just disappear.

And what does a poll have to deal with anything? Check your logic, you went from not caring about my opinion (which is fine) to wishing there was some poll for everyone else but then you concede that it doesn't matter anyways because it is all set in stone. So if the poll was in my favor, all those OPINIONS wouldn't matter right? Yeah, got it.

FYI, I was going by this discussion forum that people here said that Zydeco should not have been doing a 9/11 show. MORE THAN ONE, and MORE than ten probably. There is a whole discussion on it somewhere that might open your eyes.

And what are we polling anyways? And why would you care what everyone else thought? Someone tell me what this poll I should be doing is? If everyone thought Onyx should have beaten Zydeco? I don't get what angle you're trying to use against me?

Oh and saying "I didn't happen to see me there" was rich too! Of course you didn't. I don't know you. And by your little big shot attitude problem I am assuming you're this big judge who just knows everything right? RIGHT?

THOUGHT SO.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it was a rough run . . .lots of break, at least 10 drops from Fahrenheit... . .but the show was well crafted

From a few rows up.....

Not 10 drops at all.....5 from where I was sitting......and 4 of them from 1 guy!! Must have freaked out or something?

Edited by colorguardbear

It's also too bad you didn't train them well enough to execute. If you want to be snarky. . .that's fine. I have your fantastic little message that you sent me saved as well. But the simple fact is compared to the performances they turned in for Prelims and the show they had Wednesday night at Stebbins, it was not a good run. I could have said. . .they didn't execute as well as they previously had or that it was a bad run. Whatever the terminology. . .it wasn't their best show.

wowwwwww :ninja:

I don't care about the actual results. My opinion was under fire and I don't just disappear.

And what does a poll have to deal with anything? Check your logic, you went from not caring about my opinion (which is fine) to wishing there was some poll for everyone else but then you concede that it doesn't matter anyways because it is all set in stone. So if the poll was in my favor, all those OPINIONS wouldn't matter right? Yeah, got it.

FYI, I was going by this discussion forum that people here said that Zydeco should not have been doing a 9/11 show. MORE THAN ONE, and MORE than ten probably. There is a whole discussion on it somewhere that might open your eyes.

And what are we polling anyways? And why would you care what everyone else thought? Someone tell me what this poll I should be doing is? If everyone thought Onyx should have beaten Zydeco? I don't get what angle you're trying to use against me?

Oh and saying "I didn't happen to see me there" was rich too! Of course you didn't. I don't know you. And by your little big shot attitude problem I am assuming you're this big judge who just knows everything right? RIGHT?

THOUGHT SO.

My personal request to the both of you: Can we please squash it before this topic gets closed?

It's also too bad you didn't train them well enough to execute. If you want to be snarky. . .that's fine. I have your fantastic little message that you sent me saved as well. But the simple fact is compared to the performances they turned in for Prelims and the show they had Wednesday night at Stebbins, it was not a good run. I could have said. . .they didn't execute as well as they previously had or that it was a bad run. Whatever the terminology. . .it wasn't their best show.

I do not visit this message board very often nor do I often reply to posts, however with that said, I will defend my performers. The Onyx World Guard 08 is the best group of performers I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Ever. These kids are kind, close knit, behave well, work hard and are not spiteful to anyone. I love these kids and I am proud of their accomplishments. If you willfully attack them, I will act on their behalf.

Students from many units come here and read these words you type. Trashing their efforts when they give their heart and soul to their performance is uncalled for. World Class is tough for all units as the competition is strong and programs demanding. Each of these units deserves the support of those of us who claim we love this activity.

If the judges are the untimate decision makers, and you believe that to be true, try looking over recaps from our WGI events. However, regardless of what a judge scores my team, I know what growth and success are and they have nothing to do with score or placement from any judge.

As for the note I sent you, feel free to publish it. Really.

M

Edited by OnyxColorGuard

It's also too bad you didn't train them well enough to execute.

:rock:

I do not visit this message board very often nor do I often reply to posts, however with that said, I will defend my performers. The Onyx World Guard 08 is the best group of performers I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Ever. These kids are kind, close knit, behave well, work hard and are not spiteful to anyone. I love these kids and I am proud of their accomplishments. If you willfully attack them, I will act on their behalf.

Students from many units come here and read these words you type. Trashing their efforts when they give their heart and soul to their performance is uncalled for. World Class is tough for all units as the competition is strong and programs demanding. Each of these units deserves the support of those of us who claim we love this activity.

If the judges are the untimate decision makers, and you believe that to be true, try looking over recaps from our WGI events. However, regardless of what a judge scores my team, I know what growth and success are and they have nothing to do with score or placement from any judge.

As for the note I sent you, feel free to publish it. Really.

M

It's funny, you say I willfully attacked them, my post was in response to observations of another group. I mentioned that they would probably jump onyx because they were a mess or had a rough run or didn't execute like I had seen previously or whatever terminology you want to plug in here. That's not trashing your group or their efforts. . . what it is, was the truth.

As for the note, I don't find it appropriate to publish, as I found it mean spirited, spiteful and bitter.

It's also too bad you didn't train them well enough to execute.

For some reason, this comment is staying with me, so I'm going to wade into the debate ... hopefully without my usual can of gasoline.

Without having any direct insight of the particulars, I know all too well that in general, there are countless reasons for why a group may not execute as well as they are capable on a given day or night: nerves, illness, lack of confidence, temperature/weather-related issues, behind-the-scenes drama, some other distraction, etc. And most have absolutely nothing to do with how they were trained in the methods of execution. I say this because I have direct experience with it. I'm an execution junkie, yet much to my chagrin, not all my guards executed with pristine technique. I won't bore you with all the details for why that happened; the list would take up far more space than folks here have the patience to read, and most wouldn't care anyway because hey, anyone who's taught has been there, done that.

Do I take responsibility for that? Of course. They were my guards, doing work that I wrote and taught them to perform, so it's only natural that I feel responsible for the end result. And I wish I could watch old videos of performances and not keep wanting to rewind that clock, go back in time and keep fixing things, but that's the nature of a perfectionist.

In the real world, yes, we are all judged on all sorts of criteria, and sometimes those judgments are harsh. Especially in a competitive activity. And I don't have any problem with saying that in one's opinion, a group did not perform as cleanly as they had previously; that's a fair assessment, and one that any observer is capable of making. But reading more into that, without knowing the reality of situation, is overstepping the boundaries of good communication. (And, after all, communication is what these forums are for. This isn't a blog, and we're not just here posting monologues for our own gratification.) Unless we are directly involved with a given group, we really don't know those details, and I think it's best not to comment on them or try to characterize them in ways that may be completely inaccurate.

Regarding Onyx being a 'mess': I would think it would be more rewarding to take risks and have depth in a show and chance that 'mess' than playing it safe.

I 100% agree!! I would rather watch a show that challenges the members and has some breaks, than watch a safe seen it a million times before super clean show.

Hello everyone!

I was alerted by a staff member and friend that these postings were taking place, and that I may want to check it out and address what was being said.

Well, I am not going to address anyone's opinion on our show. Your opinion is your own. Value it and take it to the grave. That is the beauty of "freedom of speech!" I am actually surprised that people really care this much...it makes me chuckle!

As far as our competitors go, I will say this:

Onyx and The Knights are both fabulous teams that I am thrilled to be in the neighborhood with. Both are established groups that have been around for many years, and have previous experience in the Independent World Class. Both are taught by smart, talented people and have loads of stellar performers in their casts. Both had amazing shows that I was lucky enough to witness in person. Again, it was an honor to be placed in the same range as these groups.

This was our first year in this classification, and only second year in existence. For us to have even made finals was a feat in itself, much less place where we did. I think it is fantastic that all three IO class medalists were represented in IW Finals this season!

I also thank those of you for your kind words that liked the show and went out of your way to express your feelings to my performers. It meant a lot to them. They worked just as hard as every other team this season, and were so happy with their final run. The raw, personal emotion they had coming off of the floor means more to me than any score, placement, or recognition. I truly mean that.

Finally, to clear things up: there is no animosity (that I am aware of) between myself and any other people teaching any other groups. So let's just put that rumor to bed. Hopefully if someone had issues to deal with, they would deal with me directly instead of posting on a public forum.

OK...enough about all that. These forums posts are getting silly, it's like beating a dead horse! :juggle:

Thanks again for everyone who cared enough to share their opinions (good or bad!) We'll see you guys again in 2009...

Sincerely,

Byron

Zydeco Colorguard

p.s. - if you have any questions, or would like to beat the dead horse to me personally, you may reach me at zydecocolorguard@aol.com.

Thanks!!! :rock: