"I didn't march my age-out because..."

HEnrys_Birthday-HANNAH.jpg

The reason I did not march 92 or ageout in 93. And I wouldn't change it for the world.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During my two-year hiatus from the activity, I knew the age limit had been raised, but I mistakenly thought my final year of eligibility was '97. Turns out I was mistaken. It's been 12 years, and I still can't shake the regret. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's pretty sad but, the corps I marched with (81-82 LA Southernaires)folded my age out year. Being a woodwind convert (even though I was a soloist) I didn't think I had what it took to be in a top 12 corps.

A few years ago I joined CorpsVets and learned that several Spirit alum (including perennial soloist Hunter moss)remembered our hornline and remembered my solos. I still get sick to my stomach thinking...why didn't you guys say something back then about switching corps.

My corps folded too afetr being the only NY State corps to ever make DCI Finals. We sat there with a full corps during the winter and the administration too scared to take on the road.

I went to the senior corps called Phoenix...it was a blast.

Aged out again in 1996 from the Empire Statesmen. LOL...

Donny

I will not march my ageout because my former corps became a sell-out last year when they gave my spot to a rookie who ended up quitting during spring training. My dad was deployed to Iraq in December and corps was not the top thing on my mind that audition season. I rode very borderline in the playing department, but was fine in the marching and the corps, seeking a winning season, decided to go with talent alone, rather than dedication and four years of experience.

They didn't win. Not even close.

I worked my ### off and made a spot filling a hole on lead at a top 6 corps last year. I go out for move-ins late, learn the show in two days and all of the music, pay my tuition up front, etc etc. The fourth day I'm there I fall and fracture my ankle. With one bum ankle from years of marching and the other one freshly broken, my ageout year was over and my dream had been destroyed. I had withdrawn from my classes that semester so I could march, and, as if that weren't enough, they wouldn't refund any part of the $2k tuition payment and I spent the rest of the summer at home working off the debt.

Yeah, my ageout sucked.

I worked my ### off and made a spot filling a hole on lead at a top 6 corps last year. I go out for move-ins late, learn the show in two days and all of the music, pay my tuition up front, etc etc. The fourth day I'm there I fall and fracture my ankle. With one bum ankle from years of marching and the other one freshly broken, my ageout year was over and my dream had been destroyed. I had withdrawn from my classes that semester so I could march, and, as if that weren't enough, they wouldn't refund any part of the $2k tuition payment and I spent the rest of the summer at home working off the debt.

Yeah, my ageout sucked.

I hear you -- somewhat similar story. I tore the hell out of my hip during everydays with Madison last season, and ended up getting to do only the first two shows, which were pretty ugly. I had wanted to march my age-out year so that I would have marched at least two years, and plus I wanted to try and help when the corps was in trouble last year by giving them one more vet in the hornline. Basically, I had kept going on a muscle I'd torn twice in my groin/hip area, and I eventually just couldn't move it by the time that I left in June. The brass staff came in and told me that they weren't going to let me hurt myself any worse, and were going to offer me an assistant conductor spot. I said I wanted a week to think about it and see a real doctor back home (we all know the kinds of doctors you see on tour..), and then I'd make a decision. On the way home, however, my car's engine completely blew up at 81,000 miles, so none of it was covered by the warranty, and I had about a $6,000 engine to buy. Basically, I spent the rest of the summer working a crappy office job to make money to repair my car and pay for physical therapy. I obviously didn't get to do the assistant conductor gig, but I did get to go out to Pasadena, and Jeff Spanos and company allowed me to do the age-out ceremony in uniform. It was nice.

My ageout wasn't too great either, I guess, but it's one of those experiences that causes you to grow. I shed a lot of tears with my brothers after the performance on semifinals day.

Edited by StradmanBW

After six years marching in Cadets I had three more to go. I decided to take one year off. Everyone I started marching with aged out or had stopped marching. I enjoyed that year off but couldn't wait to get back. Well I ended up getting married the week of spring training. and since there wasn't any space on the staff for my husband I decided not to march for another year. I hoped to march my age out year but then again I had a better excuse not too. My oldest daughter was born May 11th of that year. So needless to say I was a little busy that summer. I can't say I regret it because I love being a mom but I sure wished I could of marched those three years!

After 4 years in BD, and two championships, I could see the activity was leaving me behind talent-wise. I was a kid from the neighborhood (grew up in Concord) and everyone else was starting to be music majors, serious musicians, etc. Sometimes I wish I had marched (could have done 3 more years), but I went to college, started doing lots of other interesting stuff, and can't say its my greatest regret not to have finished up as an age-out.

One of the rock bands I was in at college got signed to a record deal which was later picked up by one of the largest major labels in the industry. So my age out year was spent recording and then touring while still finishing my degree. I don’t regret a thing, I loved the debauchery, at least what I can remember of it.