Age-Out year

Up for discussion, do you think that DCI should have an age limit? My opinion is 'no'. If someone is capable of making the commitment both financially and timewise, plus have the physical stamina to meet the demands of the show, why not let them march? I don't think that it would affect the DCA corps that much because they handle a different lifestyle of marcher,i.e. working, family, distance constraints. Thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, cause i think some kids would never get jobs....they'd just march all the time and become hippies that live in their parents houses til they're 45. That would suck.

DCI, in their charter as a non-profit, confines themselves to being a "youth" organization. I've heard from many different corps administrators / directors over the years that expanding beyond that is just another level of headaches that they're not prepared or willing to deal with.

Mike

Keep the age out. If they take away the age-out limit, that puts a big restriction on the number of new, young recruits that drum corps get (which makes my chances of marching worse). It'd be too easy for a corps that wins gold one year to just keep the same people the next, and the next, and the next...

DCI, in their charter as a non-profit, confines themselves to being a "youth" organization. I've heard from many different corps administrators / directors over the years that expanding beyond that is just another level of headaches that they're not prepared or willing to deal with.

Mike

It didn't seem to hurt WGI ...

Aside from the fact that most of the organizations painted themselves in a corner with defining their 501©3's as youth educational organizations, there is no real reason for the age restriction.

The reason there was ever a 21-year-old limit was because in the early days of the activities, the senior corps had more experience and better corps. It was to keep the seniors from having an unfair advantage over the juniors. Those conditions no longer exist.

The whole "at some point you've got to get a life" rationale is pure nonsense ... It's not up to corps, corps directors, DCI, or any of us, to decide when it's time for someone to "get a life". If someone is an un-motivated schmuck with no purpose and ambition, they'll wind up being 40 and living in their parents basement anyway and that's their choice. That type of person doesn't seem like they'd have the motivation to march junior corps anyway.

Keep the age out. If they take away the age-out limit, that puts a big restriction on the number of new, young recruits that drum corps get (which makes my chances of marching worse). It'd be too easy for a corps that wins gold one year to just keep the same people the next, and the next, and the next...

Good point, but remember, drum corps used to be for any kid to learn an instrument and march. Those days are gone also for the most part. So it seems that the same corps stay in the top five year after year anyway.

It's really not senior corps anymore...it's All Age Drum corps.

Keep the age-out. If people want to continue marching, they have Senior corps.

Yes it should have an age limit. This is a youth activity. Once you hit a certain age, you no longer fit that mold. Not to mention, if there was no age limit then we would almost certainly never see any new talent enter into DCI (just a bunch of middle aged people). Not that there is anything wrong with being middle aged or above, but as previously stated...this is a youth activity. I accept that fact.

Edited by dciguy01

Up for discussion, do you think that DCI should have an age limit? My opinion is 'no'. If someone is capable of making the commitment both financially and timewise, plus have the physical stamina to meet the demands of the show, why not let them march? I don't think that it would affect the DCA corps that much because they handle a different lifestyle of marcher,i.e. working, family, distance constraints. Thoughts?

Then it would corps would be considered an All-Age corps and no longer be able to compete in DCI.

Please God, let June soon. I never asked to hard for drum corps season to start to stop these innate topics.

(I've had deeper discussion about who Tobi is....Obito or Madara... :tongue: )

Edited by sburstall