So what'd you guys think of the Countdown?

Crown is going to be amazing this year. Barber of Seville, 1812 Oveture; Now that's class.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Crowd was around 100-120. Volume was good. I wish they knocked it out to near 11 on the level though. Response for Phantom was almost a standing ovation. Blue Stars sounded great in their clip. Crown sounds like they're picking up exactly from where they left off in Pasadena. Devils looked great and the Sweeney Todd clip sounded beautiful. Those "snares" look weird though.

I try to go to this event every year to hand out flyers for our Senior/All Age Corps. I was 40 minutes late because I didn't have the heart to cancel my music lesson from 7 to 7:30.

I really didn't think I was going to be able to get a ticket as the theater is usually full for this event and is usually in one of the smaller rtheaters. When I arrived I asked if it was a sell out. The ticket guy said nope only 13 tickets had been sold. I thought, sweet, I can actually be a customer this year.

I bought some popcorn, bottled water and made my way to theater wich was probably had 500 seats. (just guessing)

I didn't have to worry about getting in anyones way at all. I got to see the Cavaliers, Crown and the Kingsmen. I was pleased with the sound quality and picture. My only worry was how I was going to hand out 25 flyers.

Everyone waited until the showing was over before leaving. The Kingsmen was a suprise to some as they started to leave and sat back down to watch the Alumni Corps. All but two people appeared to be in their 30s or older. I held the door for everyone as they were leaving and handed out 10 flyers. I handed out 22 last year.

I wander how the theater on the Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri did and how the theater just a couple miles North of Olathe, KS did.

T don't know what kept attendance down. I talked to an employee and he said Thursdays are usually dead. I told him the DCI show usually does better than 14 people. He was right today, the parking lot was only 1/3 full. I'm thinking a Thursday showing didn't help, only showing corps from 05, 06, and 07 kept some people awayand the weather was threating rain. Oh I forgot, gas is at a premium price at around $3.30 a gallon regular unleaded here.

I was happy with the product I saw and with the quality of the theater. :tongue:

Good idea to show the Alumni Corps.

To put things in perspective population wise for the Suburb of Kansas City I live in (Johnson County):

We have 17 public high schools in Johnson County. Most have pretty good marching band programs. The Population of Johnson County is just over 500,000 and still growing. I know there are lots of Drum Corps Vets and fans in the area. They just seem uninterested in Drum Corps for some reason. Kansas City Kansas (Wyandotte County) may be 100,000 I'm not sure. Kansas City Missouri and the Suburbs on the Missouri side (Jackson County mainly) have 1 million people plus.

Edited by Kansan

The theater in Portage, Indiana started the show 23 minutes early, then ran the first two corps again for those that missed it the first time. I couldn't get a seat because I was told it was sold out when I got there. I came back near the end to take pictures and found out the reason I was told it was sold out was due to the theater no longer selling tickets since the show started early. Supposedly their system kicked it on and there was nothing they could do about it because their Internet connection was down, so they couldn't contact Fathom. However, they had it previously downloaded. When I went in the theater to interview people before they restarted the show, there were about 50 people in a room that sat 90. About ten stayed for the rerun.

one thing I noticed...most of the show there was idle chatter. People commenting to their friends and whatnot. But during Crown's ballad, it was absolutely dead silent.

Yeah, I tried to drag some of my buddies along, but no such luck. "Drum corps? Like drums? Sounds stupid." :tongue:

Don't you go to lassiter? I would think people from there would have heard of drum corps

Sound was a little muddled in the theater, but it was fun anyway.

I took 3 new people and also my nephews. A couple liked the Cavies show the best. A couple liked Phantom...particularly the low brass and percussion. A couple preferred BD.

I'd have to say that my favorite of the night was the Cadets. I hadn't seen it since 05, and holy cow, that show rocks.

Very cool event. I'll be going next year.