Uniform question for the future

So I was reading the other uniform topic on Friday, thought about it over the weekend, and I got to thinking....

Every year the guard wears a different uniform to match the theme of the show. This wasn't always the case, but has become the norm now.

In winter color guards and winter drum lines, as far as I know, the members wear a different uniform each year to match the theme of the show. Even a drum line like the Blue Knights will wear a different uniform to match the theme, and will just incorporate blue into it (so even a corps restricted by a color will do this).

There's been a few times that drum corps have altered their corps proper uniform to fit the theme of the show...mostly hats, like SCV 92, but sometimes even something big like Cadets 05/06. But these were still just variations/alterations on the corps proper uniform...not a full new uniform.

Does anyone think that the activity is starting to head in the direction of each corps wearing a completely different uniform, possibly of more of a guard uniform quality, every season to match their show theme, and if so what are your feelings on this? I'm personally not sure what I think of it so I'm curious your thoughts.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's only a matter of time before we start to see the corps proper uniforms undergo the same transformation that the guard uniforms did. The early part of the next decade will see a lot of changes, and I think this will be one of them.

Star of Indiana changed uniforms almost every year to fit the theme of their show.

So I was reading the other uniform topic on Friday, thought about it over the weekend, and I got to thinking....

Every year the guard wears a different uniform to match the theme of the show. This wasn't always the case, but has become the norm now.

In winter color guards and winter drum lines, as far as I know, the members wear a different uniform each year to match the theme of the show. Even a drum line like the Blue Knights will wear a different uniform to match the theme, and will just incorporate blue into it (so even a corps restricted by a color will do this).

There's been a few times that drum corps have altered their corps proper uniform to fit the theme of the show...mostly hats, like SCV 92, but sometimes even something big like Cadets 05/06. But these were still just variations/alterations on the corps proper uniform...not a full new uniform.

Does anyone think that the activity is starting to head in the direction of each corps wearing a completely different uniform, possibly of more of a guard uniform quality, every season to match their show theme, and if so what are your feelings on this? I'm personally not sure what I think of it so I'm curious your thoughts.

I've wondered about that for over 20 years and have come to the conclusion that this will not happen quite yet. The uniform costs are just too high, and it would hurt their visual identities. I think accessories will continue to be a popular thing.

Star of Indiana changed uniforms almost every year to fit the theme of their show.

Wrong.... They accessorised, but didn't change uniforms every year to fit the theme of their show. Very, very inaccurate implication. It was discussed on another thread recently.

I think it's only a matter of time before we start to see the corps proper uniforms undergo the same transformation that the guard uniforms did. The early part of the next decade will see a lot of changes, and I think this will be one of them.

This is an idea the cadets have been playing with for years (ever since 2000 at least). At this point, too many important people like the uniform for them to go away from it, and I hope it stays that way for a good long while.

I've wondered about that for over 20 years and have come to the conclusion that this will not happen quite yet. The uniform costs are just too high, and it would hurt their visual identities. I think accessories will continue to be a popular thing.

Visual identity I agree with, but I'm wondering if the costs would be drastically reduced if the uniforms were more of a guard type uniform than an actual marching uniform. As far as I know, that's significantly cheaper.....

Visual identity I agree with, but I'm wondering if the costs would be drastically reduced if the uniforms were more of a guard type uniform than an actual marching uniform. As far as I know, that's significantly cheaper.....

I was thinking the same thing, and yes, you are right. To be fair, the corps proper uniforms are cheaper nowadays too. I dont think many people are still marching the wool anymore :thumbs-up:

Spirit in 1988 and 1989 changed their uniform to fit the theme of the show. Good thing they stopped doing that cause those were some ugly uniforms.