OMG! That's Brilliant! Of course we'll do it!

Although, I gotta say, Star had not really set their identity by the fall of 87, much less were they a corps that you would peg to do Stravinsky:

85 - Mickey Mouse

86 - Star Wars (and Hamster Wheels!)

87 - The Circus is Coming To Town

So yeah, I don't see where Petrushka is the next logical choice (unless you went clowns > clowns)

Still, full of win. Just maybe not CHOCK full

Good point. But when I think of Star of Indiana, I think of the later shows (Balshazaar's Feast, Pines of Rome, Medea) as really defining their "style", and Petroushka fits in with that alot more than Porgy And Bess. And Porgy And Bess fits into Spirit's style WAY more than Petroushka, so that's why I always felt like there was some sort of mixup in 1988.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Recuerdos" was done by '82 Freelancers. Perhaps you're thinking of "La Guera Baila"? (Track 5, right before "La Suerte")

No, I was pretending I was a member of the design staff for the '82 Freelancers. As you might be able to tell from my avatar, I was a marching member of '82 Freelancers (note the hairstyle and cheesy 'stash) and I can quite vividly remember playing Recerdos (quite a few times as a matter of fact).

In the fall of 1987:

One corps' staff said,

"Let's do a Stravinksy Ballet this year! It's eclectic and the judges will love it!"

"Brilliant!"

Another corps' staff said,

"Let's do Porgy And Bess by Gershwin! It's jazzy, southern and soulful, just our style!"

"Brilliant!"

Little did the staffs of Star of Indiana and Spirit of Atlanta realize that they had entered into a portal that made them switch places with each other for the duration of the staff meeting, causing each corps to perform the other corps' show in 1988. The rest is history.

Even though it probably wasn't the best arrangement/treatment of Petruska, 1988 was my most favorite Spirit show of all time.

- "Let's have the rifle line throw their rifles backwards over their heads and over fully held up in the air Contra horns!"

guardsmen79rifletoss.jpg

Okay, my new game for today is an attempt to get everyone's top "what were they thinking when they decided to put THAT in a show?" moments of al time. I'll start us off....

The time? Fall of 1991. The place? Concord, California. The setting? The Blue Devils design team is meeting, trying to figure out next years show. The best idea so far is to do a show built around Stan Kenton's seminal Cuban Fire album, a flaming hot latin jazz album written to introduce the instrument invented to Stan's personal specs, the mellophomium, and featuring drum corps classic chart La Suerte de los Tontos (The Fortune of Fools). Someone pipes up, "Yeah, and we can have the color guard dance on big wooden dice, it will be a perfect fit!"

"What???? Wooden dice? Incredible!!"

"But wait?? How in the world can we top big wooden dice? Whatever can we do for a grand finale?"

"Hey, I know. We'll have the whole hornline take off their jackets, unbotton their shirts, and vogue while playing a Michael Bolton song!!"

"OMG!! That's Brilliant!! Of course we'll do it!!"

If I could go back in time and smack one person in all of human history, that would have to be the moment. What about the rest of you guys?

Hey, the opening was the single catchiest lick of drum corps history--try not whistling 'Red Light, Blue Light' when thinking about that show! Undefeated until Preview, I think? Fun show.

Hey, the opening was the single catchiest lick of drum corps history--try not whistling 'Red Light, Blue Light' when thinking about that show! Undefeated until Preview, I think? Fun show.

actially, for me its el congo valiente, very hot chart. that and the sop/bari unison solo in fuego cubano, that was a wayne downey signature for a lot of years, using that voicing to create a tenor sax sound, but that one and the 93 are the ones that really stand out to me. you're right though, preview was a fun show that year, the scouts were so hot they lit a school on fire in the end zone of vanderbilts stadium. very dramatic.

"Well, I like the script, but I think we need someone with a different voice."

"Who do you have in mind"

"What about that kid that sounds like Napoleon Dynamite?"

"Brilliant!!!"

It could have been worse... :smile:

"Hey, I found these snare drum heads made of Kevlar, and they don't break!"

"But you can't hear them."

"They don't break."

"But they don't sound like snare drums."

"They don't have to be tuned, and they don't break"

"But what are you going to do if you need a snare drum voice?"

"We'll put a concert snare drum in the PIT!! And the Kevlar heads DON'T BREAK!"

"HMMMMMMMMMMMM. Saving money on heads, less tuning, BRILLIANT!!!

So...the snare line will have to play twice as clean as they ever did on mylar, AND we're going to make them run all over the field?

Brilliant!