OMG! That's Brilliant! Of course we'll do it!

"Hey we have a great drumline, and they are playing a tasty solo. What else can we do?"

"I know, let's have them SING DRUM LICKS into a MICROPHONE."

"Don't you think that's a waste of talent? We have a great drumline this year."

"Yeah, but they can SING DRUM LICKS into a MICROPHONE. Who else does that? We're all about narration"

"Don't you think that will anger a lot of people. Especially drummers?"

"That's their problem."

"So you don't care?"

"What's your point?"

"Why don't you give the audience credit for knowing what's going on?"

"The audience isn't very smart. We need to give them all the help we can."

"Oh......"

Edited by kmansdrummin

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*glares*

But seriously, that's because the mello is the most under written solo voice, just above tuba and bass drum (and the funny thing is, there have been marching bass drum solos).

Didn't Blue Knights have a pretty demanding mello solo in their ballad this past year?

Hold on, Blue Knights had a ballad? :tongue:

Valid opinion, and I agree with you. I was more speaking in terms of how the decision might irk horn/mello players (such as myself) who were excited to hear that glorious horn solo played by a good mello soloist.

Well, they still let a mello have the opening solo in Turandot (encores this year). I'd have a hard time arguing that JD mis-arranged his show - in fact, I'd be willing to bet that at some point it may have been a mello solo, but it didn't have the depth on the field. I thought it sounded great, but then, I think the euph solo in PR 91 is one of the greatest moments in drum corps. :tongue:

"so how are we gonna top an all shostakovich production that brought us our first championship?"

"we have to play something dark to match our uniforms and something that's very much in "regiment" character..."

"I've got it!!"

"what!?"

"we'll take a 24 hour Opera and condense it down to 10 and a half minutes!"

"BRILLIANT!!!"

You failed to mention that they really wanted to stay away from the recognizable parts.

I will call out my own corps here.....

1994 Glassmen.....

"Hey, I saw these GIANT red balls the other day at yoga class. I think they would be awesome for our show!!!"

man.... what a pain in the butt for the truck crew that summer.... :tongue:

"here's an idea that's never been done."

"What? tell us."

"Kites"

"Huh? Kites?"

"Yeah, kites. This of it this way, we get to gve the illusion of breaking the two-dimension barrier that drum corps is based on and it will also appeal to the small kids."

"Brilliant!!"

Edited by sburstall

"Hey we have a great drumline, and they are playing a tasty solo. What else can we do?"

"I know, let's have them SING DRUM LICKS into a MICROPHONE."

"Don't you think that's a waste of talent? We have a great drumline this year."

"Yeah, but they can SING DRUM LICKS into a MICROPHONE. Who else does that? We're all about narration"

"Don't you think that will anger a lot of people. Especially drummers?"

"That's their problem."

"So you don't care?"

"What's your point?"

"Why don't you give the audience credit for knowing what's going on?"

"The audience isn't very smart. We need to give them all the help we can."

"Oh......"

I thought this was for bad ideas? That was a great moment in 05.

:tongue:

"here's an idea that's never been done."

"What? tell us."

"Kites"

"Huh? Kites?"

"Yeah, kites. This of it this way, we get to gve the illusion of breaking the two-dimension barrier that drum corps is based on and it will also appeal to the small kids."

"Brilliant!!"

2 days later...

"Sorry guys, it looks like Phantom already has the kite thing. We'll have to come up with something else"

"Ok, let's talk about the guard uniforms for this year. I'm thinking something in a nice teal, to match the corps uniform colors. And the latest winterguard fashions have been showing a lot of form-fitting uniforms lately. What do you think?"

"Um, you do realize that we have a couple gentlemen in the guard who are, shall we say, rather well-endowed, right?"

In the kitchen of Scott Stewart

Thinking to himself...

Okay, we've done Malaguena countless time, but now it's time for a change.

Is there anything out there that says Malaguana without it being Malaguana.

a few days later.

AHA! Found it!!! Malaga. The fans will love this!! Has all the flair and power of Malaguana without us repeating the same show.

Ahhh, I am sssoooo smart. ;)

Newark DE, late 1994:

"Ok, we've had our third great season in a row, but I think we've milked this "Songs for the Planet Earth" theme as much as we can. What can we do next year for something different?"

"Look at all these new corps that are starting to crack finals like Crown, Magic and Glassmen. I think people are starting to get tired of jazz music. Heck, from what I hear out of Concord, BD isn't even playing jazz this year,"

"I dunno- we're known for doing jazz. I think the fans would turn on us if we went another direction,"

"Well how about this Barber piece? It KINDA sounds like jazz. I'll bet if we articulate it just right, nobody'll notice,"

"Ok. What'll we do with the guard?"

"Well, I've got some PVC pipes in my back yard I've been trying to get rid of. We could use those. Didn't Star do something like that a couple years back?"

"Sounds like a winner to me,"

"Wait- we're missing one crucial thing. But I've got it right here in this box," (pulls out a shako)