Breaking Rank

It is not some punk hot shot tuba player's place to teach that kid any lessons, especially not a lesson involving violence.

lol, seriously? violence?

if that is your idea of violence, there is something seriously wrong.

and its not that the kid didn't know what he was doing. he was obviously trying to be a jerk/be rude to the members of the group.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably wouldn't do that to the kid now, but back in my marching days I might have. This would probably have been my thought process:

<music><music><music>

<is that a kid running up there?>

<music><music><hungry>

<he's coming this way><I should do something>

<can't use arms><legs?><yes I'll stick out my leg>

<uh oh he tripped><somebody is going to be ###### at me>

<good he's up and running, so he's ok>

<shouldn't have done that>

<uh oh, death-stare from corps director, I'm in trouble>

Meh. No sympathy for the kid. He did something stupid, and he got what he deserved. I mean, yeah, he probably doesn't know about the concept of breaking rank. Most people my age don't even know about that. But, there's also a thing known as "interrupting the performers." In my opinion, what he did is just as bad as someone's cell phone going off during a concert, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to smack the person with the cell phone if they were near me.

Come on folks...there's no whining in drum corps!!! It's simple. If you break ranks, you pay the price. There's no 'gray area' here...

Heck, back in the old days, if that kid tried to break the ranks of a drum line he woulda had a stick jabbed in his eye, and the drummer woulda made it look like it was entirely the kids fault!

Nobody gets any slack. An eight month old who can't even walk yet trie to 'crawl' through the ranks...Kick 'em to the curb!

:cool:

I can not believe that some of you are actually supporting that members actions. I find it completely appalling that adults would condone tripping a little kid under any circumstances.

If I were a corps director and a member did something like that they would be on a plane home the same day.

If I were the kids parents I would be mortified! After the performance was over I d have my child APOLOGIZE to the Tuba player and the Director. Send the player home!?!?! WTF!!!!! :cool:

and its not that the kid didn't know what he was doing. he was obviously trying to be a jerk/be rude to the members of the group.

My Father would have had me on the PA system apologizing to everyone and saying that I got off light with just being tripped. Thank GOD. I LOVE MY FATHER and he would have been absolutley right to make me do that. My wife is a teacher and I'm appalled by the excuses parents make for their childrens misbehaviour when it just boils down to lack of proper parenting.

If I were the kids parents I would be mortified! After the performance was over I d have my child APOLOGIZE to the Tuba player and the Director. Send the player home!?!?! WTF!!!!! :cool:

Having a member, in uniform, tripping a little kid for ANY reason is unexcusable and a TERRIBLE representation of a band or corps.

Again, if things had gone slightly differently the kid could have been seriously injured. Even if he was purposefully trying to be a jerk it is not some high schoolers place to decide how to punish the kid.

My Father would have had me on the PA system apologizing to everyone and saying that I got off light with just being tripped. Thank GOD. I LOVE MY FATHER and he would have been absolutley right to make me do that. My wife is a teacher and I'm appalled by the excuses parents make for their childrens misbehaviour when it just boils down to lack of proper parenting.

I never said the kid didn't deserve some form of punishment. However, I don't think it was the tuba players place to be deciding what the appropriate punishment was and I don't think tripping a little kid is ever an appropriate punishment.