1986 DCA Finals - Matadors

Or perhaps the Bushwackers did the best job of the three top corps at the night show. From my field perspective, they did.

Fran

:tongue: Aw geez. Fran. Stop being so beat around the BUSH and tell us what you really think :tongue:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest advantage that Bush had that night was, we had nothing to lose. We had no expectation other than to max out our show and make a great finals recording. What happened was gravy and speaking for myself Steel City playing to us was one of the classiest and emotional moments I ever witnessed in drumcorps, it was greatly appreciated.

I tried to resist responding, but I can't -

I was there too. and I bought in to the conspiracy theory just like a lot of folks, but when we (staff and board) sat down and analyzed the performance, our performance was not where it should have been. there was plenty of places where we 'should have' been able to make up the .05 but the biggest issues were the tempos were down and the percussion was off. the night was ours to lose, and we did. period.

please don't take away from an outstanding Bushwacker performance. I was personally pleased that we decided to play to them, and not just play ourselves off that night - they deserved it.

jmo

I remember Bush having one of those magical nights, and for one phrase in Nutville, Steel City lost it...reovered well, but that one spot did em in

The biggest advantage that Bush had that night was, we had nothing to lose. We had no expectation other than to max out our show and make a great finals recording. What happened was gravy and speaking for myself Steel City playing to us was one of the classiest and emotional moments I ever witnessed in drumcorps, it was greatly appreciated.

I would have to agree 100%. That was a night I will never forget :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I need to correct some things as I understand them being a Matador from 75-87.

For full disclosure, I rehearsed with the 86 Matadors till May when a knee injury forced

me to the sidelines for that season, but I still considered myself a member. The guard in

86 was not the defending champions. They didn't win the title at the 85 championship,

I believe they were close to the top but not #1 in 85. What they were was undefeated

for the 86 season coming into prelims.

From What I understand, the decision to allow the Matadors into finals was a result of a

vote by the DCA corps directors (I assume that would be the top 10 finishers from 85).

The Matadors finished 10th in finals & won the color guard title. In the winter of 86-87 the

decision of the directors was rescinded & the Matador DCA membership for 87 was reversed

but the guard was able to retain the title. As it turned out the 87 Matadors were much better than

the 86 Matadors & finished in 9th at prelims. The guard went undefeated for the 87 season as

well. 2 years undefeated an incredible feat!! Unfortunately that was a monsoon year, & finals was

canceled. Prelim results stood as Championship results with Sunrisers winning the color guard

title, making the first time in 2 years the Matadors guard was defeated. Tom Peashey was the guard

judge in 87 as well. Sunrisers went on to win the DCA Championship in 87 as well as the guard title.

Again in the spirit of full disclosure, the vote by corps directors was what I was told that allowed

the corps to compete. Tom said it was a decision by the boss, that would be Mickey Petrone.

It's no secrete that Mickey & Red Corso were very close. About 8 years ago I had a lengthy

conversation with the director of the corps that would have won that guard title if the Matadors

weren't allowed to compete, he was still very upset.

Bottom line, if you agree with the decision or not, the 86-87 Matador guard but on a run that probably

never will be matched! Some people have said that the Matadors were the best corps to never win DCA.

I don't really know what to think about that. When people mention that to me I say I'd bet the Rochester

Crusaders, or the Yankee Rebels might have something to say about that. But that's ok, it puts me & the

rest of my Matador brothers & sisters in some pretty good company.