1986 DCA Finals - Matadors

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should have scored prelims like this:

1.cabs/steel

3. bush

and so forth. In other words, there was no 2nd place corps.

My belief is that DCA wanted to let the Matadors defend their CG title, so they used the tie as an excuse.

I really don't have a problem with that. I am sure the decision helped with ticket sales. That's a good thing.

Kind of like when Sandy won the 1st ever showmanship award. Story is that the judge who picked soloist of the year award that night did not know it was supposed to be a horn player. He picked Sandy. So to make the situation right, they invented the showmanship award.

How many of you know that he never got his trophy that 1st year. They said he would get one later, but till this day, he has never got one.

As long as we are on that topic, I have always thought the showmanship trophy should be named after Sandy. I recently learned that is was named after Vince Bruni. He deserves recognition, but not on that particular trophy, it should go to Sandy.

:worthy:agreed!

Chris needs to make a correction as he also has 1985 DCA Finals as a 12 corps show. Westshore came in 12th at Prelims and we performed in exhibition at Finals. (My memory ain't that bad... yet)

Edit: Just poked around and looks like corpsreps has all DCA Finals with 12 corps no matter what year. Might be the template used in displaying the years...

from 1967 or 68- 1971 dca finals had 10 corps. in 1972 12 corps. and so on and so forth. go to the senior corps history sight. although i know this cause i was there.

Dale,

All i'll say is there was great discussion on this topic on RAMD a few years ago. if you sift thru, and ignore Sharon and I, i think Tom Peashey spoke up about some of the whats and why's. I say ignore me because Sharon was in that guard, and we disagreed on if they should have been, or got a gift.

:dozingoff:

why should I know anything? but I was THE color guard judge that night...

You all pretty much have it right... it really was that simple... there was a tie for first... an argument could be made that RI was in 10th... so the boss said in the best interest of DCA and the audience... put them on... they were something special...

It was the right decision at the time... Certainly didn't screw Royalaires that night... they made membership and that's what counted... having been there more times than I care to mention (in the bottom half of finals), coming in last in finals or 2nd last in finals makes no difference... In a way, it's almost a relief because you just go out there and perform for the audience (and yourself) and really could care less where the score ends up..

Edited by TomPeashey

:dozingoff:

why should I know anything? but I was THE color guard judge that night...

You all pretty much have it right... it really was that simple... there was a tie for first... an argument could be made that RI was in 10th... so the boss said in the best interest of DCA and the audience... put them on... they were something special...

It was the right decision at the time... Certainly didn't screw Royalaires that night... they made membership and that's what counted... having been there more times than I care to mention (in the bottom half of finals), coming in last in finals or 2nd last in finals makes no difference... In a way, it's almost a relief because you just go out there and perform for the audience (and yourself) and really could care less where the score ends up..

just dont end up in 13th place!...........LOL!

from 1967 or 68- 1971 dca finals had 10 corps. in 1972 12 corps. and so on and so forth. go to the senior corps history sight. although i know this cause i was there.

My first year 1974 was the last year I saw 12 corps competing. Guess somehting about the winning corps getting an 80 something and 11th and 12th place corps getting 40 somethings killed that. :dozingoff: Of course only 15 corps showed up for 1974 Prelims.

Only thing I can add to what Ron has is 1976 the 11th (us) and 12th (Guelph) place corps stood in an arc and played to the mics just before Finals. 1985 11th/12th did an exhibition and can't remember or wasn't there for the rest.

I do remember in 1976 the guy recording was had a hissy fit 'cuz our DM/horn instructor stopped us 10 seconds in our show to start over. Supposedly our soloist had water in his horn (running battle between the two). Soon as we were done the gates for the Finals crowd opened up. (That's why the guy was freaking out as the mob outside was getting restless.) Wonder if that is still on a master tape somewhere. :tongue:

exactly, PRELIMS is THE show... that's where the real pressure cooker is...

Finals is only a pressure cooker if you have a legitimate shot at #1...

Think about it... in prelims... with over 25 corps... you have as many as 5 killing themselves because they believe that if they finish high enough they had a legitimate shot at winning...

Then you have another 10 or so who either feel they are near enough to 10th place to have a shot at finals or low enough in the top 10 to worry that some upstart will poop on their parade...

Then you have a few more who know they can't make top 10 but have a great shot at top 3 declared class A...

20 corps out of 25 who have to approach prelims as if it was the end of the world... and the remaining 5 are out to prove they belong there that morning...

now THAT is a show to watch...