1986 DCA Finals - Matadors

Jim... that master belonged to John Laskowski... his daughter had it in her house the last I heard, but I think Charlie Schiavone may have ended up with it... I know he was trying to get them all from her..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim... that master belonged to John Laskowski... his daughter had it in her house the last I heard, but I think Charlie Schiavone may have ended up with it... I know he was trying to get them all from her..

Thanks Tom, bought the CD version of that year from Charlie but of course the "restart" wasn't on it. Don't know it Charlie used the master tape or a cleaned up vinyl recording as I bought it few years ago. Considering the "conversion" that went on after we stopped, good thing it was not put out for public consumption. :dozingoff:

Also have 1975 from Charlie but that doesn't have when Crusaders stopped after the first number because of rain. Think you or someone said that was on vinyl but not on the CD. Think 1975 is jammed on 2 CDs (too lazy to look) so maybe it was cut out to fit the full shows on.

Sorry for the hijack Dale....

Whatever happened in 1986, all I know is that from a ringside seat for prelims and finals, that was one heck of a day for DCA.

Among other things, you had the Caballeros trying for a third straight DCA title..... Steel City looking to break into the winner's circle....Bushwackers lurking just off the pace coming into the weekend and making history by winning the title that night, their first -ever win at any DCA competition.... Minnesota Brass making finals for the first time...... the Royalaires also making the night show, along with the always-entertaining Matadors.

Toss into the mix the Buccaneers, Rochester Crusaders, Sunrisers, Skyliners and others.... and that was a great day of drum corps.

Fran

Not to hijack the topic...but what ever DID happen to all of the masters from all of those years?

Why hasn't someone re-released them on CD (and not bad quality versions cleaned up from the records, or that guy from Cali that is passing off horrible sounding Mp3's of shows!!)

I can see if the multi's were destroyed or re-used, but the mastered versions that went to the manufactrer should be floating around somewhere... (or even the acetates)

As I remember it ticket sales were lagging for finals that night because the weather was horrible and steel city was the favorite to win finals. Most people you talked to were only going to attend pre-lims because they thought there would be little placement change between prelims and finals. Most people were in shock at the tie for first that day but that is what boosted sales for the night show. I'm not taking anything away from the cabs or the bushwackers but the outcome of that show was a shock to everyone that night. We were still under the TIC system which had enabled one judge to be totally out of line with the rest of the caption judges. It was so obvious when you looked at the sheets you could see what he had done. They knew that the fans would have been very upset if the cabs had won the show that night so the bushwackers were moved to first and steel city took second that night. This was all to the doing of Whitey Roberts caption sheet. As you know back then there were no critiqeus after finals so the judge in question could not be confronted with what he did until the next years first DCA meeting. I dont bring this up to cause any hard feeling with any of my friends in drum corps but just wanted to show how dca was run in those days !!!!!!

My belief is that DCA wanted to let the Matadors defend their CG title, so they used the tie as an excuse.

OK, so since many have agreed with that (esp Tom P. invoking Mr. Petrone), it seems like the true story.

That result just seems so weird - it just sticks out like a sore thumb. I couldn't help but try to pick at it. Thanks!

As I remember it ticket sales were lagging for finals that night because the weather was horrible and steel city was the favorite to win finals. Most people you talked to were only going to attend pre-lims because they thought there would be little placement change between prelims and finals. Most people were in shock at the tie for first that day but that is what boosted sales for the night show. I'm not taking anything away from the cabs or the bushwackers but the outcome of that show was a shock to everyone that night. We were still under the TIC system which had enabled one judge to be totally out of line with the rest of the caption judges. It was so obvious when you looked at the sheets you could see what he had done. They knew that the fans would have been very upset if the cabs had won the show that night so the bushwackers were moved to first and steel city took second that night. This was all to the doing of Whitey Roberts caption sheet.

Or perhaps the Bushwackers did the best job of the three top corps at the night show. From my field perspective, they did.

Fran

As I remember it ticket sales were lagging for finals that night because the weather was horrible and steel city was the favorite to win finals. Most people you talked to were only going to attend pre-lims because they thought there would be little placement change between prelims and finals. Most people were in shock at the tie for first that day but that is what boosted sales for the night show. I'm not taking anything away from the cabs or the bushwackers but the outcome of that show was a shock to everyone that night. We were still under the TIC system which had enabled one judge to be totally out of line with the rest of the caption judges. It was so obvious when you looked at the sheets you could see what he had done. They knew that the fans would have been very upset if the cabs had won the show that night so the bushwackers were moved to first and steel city took second that night. This was all to the doing of Whitey Roberts caption sheet. As you know back then there were no critiqeus after finals so the judge in question could not be confronted with what he did until the next years first DCA meeting. I dont bring this up to cause any hard feeling with any of my friends in drum corps but just wanted to show how dca was run in those days !!!!!!

I dont understand why the fans would be upset if the Cabs won. :tongue:

That and from what I remember, Whitey Roberts didn't do us any favors that night.

Edited by Fastone

I tried to resist responding, but I can't -

I was there too. and I bought in to the conspiracy theory just like a lot of folks, but when we (staff and board) sat down and analyzed the performance, our performance was not where it should have been. there was plenty of places where we 'should have' been able to make up the .05 but the biggest issues were the tempos were down and the percussion was off. the night was ours to lose, and we did. period.

please don't take away from an outstanding Bushwacker performance. I was personally pleased that we decided to play to them, and not just play ourselves off that night - they deserved it.

jmo