Memorial Weekend Memories

Dansville/Mt. Carmel was a fixture back then... how many of us learned the exit drill that day??? Or worse still - how many gave up on the exit and stood still for it..???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dansville/Mt. Carmel was a fixture back then... how many of us learned the exit drill that day??? Or worse still - how many gave up on the exit and stood still for it..???

Wow that just brought back a memory from 1979/1978?. Well whichever year had rain almost every weekend during the Spring which screwed up outside rehearsal. Westshore is practicing on a field beside the Danville stadium and hear the sound of someone trying to get their car out of the mud (tires spinning, engine reving, etc). Sounds coming from a wooded area and goes on for a hour plus. FINALLY we don't hear anything and figure the guy got out.

Then someone sez "Wonder if he ran out of gas and the car is still there".

Sure as "stuff", 20 minutes later it all starts over again... wonder if he is still there....

Wow that just brought back a memory from 1979/1978?. Well whichever year had rain almost every weekend during the Spring which screwed up outside rehearsal. Westshore is practicing on a field beside the Danville stadium and hear the sound of someone trying to get their car out of the mud (tires spinning, engine reving, etc). Sounds coming from a wooded area and goes on for a hour plus. FINALLY we don't hear anything and figure the guy got out.

Then someone sez "Wonder if he ran out of gas and the car is still there".

Sure as "stuff", 20 minutes later it all starts over again... wonder if he is still there....

Could that have been 1982? I remember it rained the weekend of the 15th of May and then it rained every weekend for 2 months. Just on the weekend, never during the week.

Could that have been 1982? I remember it rained the weekend of the 15th of May and then it rained every weekend for 2 months. Just on the weekend, never during the week.

i remember 1976 it rained almost every weekend and it was a cold summer...........YIKES !!!

I don't remember ever playing a field competition with the Appleknockers junior corps over Memorial Day weekend (our first show was usually the first weekend of June). What I remember was the parades and the annual debut of our new music at Winnek Post Americal Legion in Geneva. We would give a standstill concert on the beautiful lakeside grounds of the legion. The exhibition was well attended by senior corps alumni. It was our chance to prove we were worthy of the name and tradition.

I remember the first Memorial Day camp the Renegades ever did like it was yesterday. Because it was! :ph34r: The corps has traditionally taken the weekend off but this year they broke tradition to join the tradition of the traditional drumcorps Memorial Day

weekend camp. got that?

Net result...9 minutes of show performed on the field. This is shaping up to be a very good year indeed! Maybe this Memorial Day camp thing was a pretty good idea after all?

Edited by dugada

Only marched at Danville 1978 and 1979 (possibly 1976 but can't remember) so one of those two years. Want to think it was 1979 but 1978 was horrible also for the weather. Have a 1978 program in the cellar that has Rochester Crusaders as a no show in Mechanicsburg, PA. Want to think the no-show was because Cru didn't have their show down yet but not 100% sure.

One of those two years it started pouring (hailing?) during our practice and we had to head to the cars.

the Kilties played their new closer going into the cemetary at the end of the memorial Day parade. "Put On a Happy Face"

and your Racine Scouts responded with "When you're down and out, lift up your head and shout, It's gonna be a great day".

how many of us learned the exit drill that day???

Let's admit it. EVERYBODY learned an exit drill that day. Had to, because you had to get everybody across the finish line.

And everybody had the same drill. Go backfield X number of counts. Squad turn. Head for the goal line. Cross the line, mark time. Right end pivot everybody DO NOT RE-CROSS THE LINE. Halt, or mark time to the end, depending on the fanfare.

And usually that temporary drill lasted the season.

and your Racine Scouts responded with "When you're down and out, lift up your head and shout, It's gonna be a great day".

Very True. Although I remembered that, I somehow thought I could get away with omitting that. As the Boy Scout motto said; "Do a Good Turn Daily" Each day, we always tried to bring some joy into other's lives each day. Of course and I'm sure that you remember, a very few times, it didn't work out that way.

Edited by kilties