Cadets

and the spin doctors will say that DCP isn't a valid polling profile....

DCP is a VERY valid polling profile...and poll after poll has shown that narration isn't wanted in drum corps...over 79% of the people that voted on a poll said they didn't like Cadets 2007, because of narration...you get the same numbers for woodwinds...

dcp only provides a representative sample if you are trying to poll people who (1) have heard of dcp (few), and (2) self-select themselves to respond (even fewer). an example of such a poll might be "do you like/dislike dcp feature x?"

trying to extrapolate what self-selecting dcp posters say about narration to a statistically significant conclusion is about as scientific as the physics in wile e. coyote cartoons.

that's not spin; its straight up statistics. i'm sure anyone could run the spss software and generate a curve, but something tells me that the p value would something absurd like .75 on any conclusion, and the margin of error would be ridiculous.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dcp only provides a representative sample if you are trying to poll people who (1) have heard of dcp (few), and (2) self-select themselves to respond (even fewer). an example of such a poll might be "do you like/dislike dcp feature x?"

trying to extrapolate what self-selecting dcp posters say about narration to a statistically significant conclusion is about as scientific as the physics in wile e. coyote cartoons.

that's not spin; its straight up statistics. i'm sure anyone could run the spss software and generate a curve, but something tells me that the p value would something absurd like .75 on any conclusion, and the margin of error would be ridiculous.

Yep. In a debate like this, if you never studied statistics, econometrics or the like, you're bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Edited by Legalhack

huh?!? the corps IS an ensemble, and anything that doesn't "blend" with the ensemble isn't going to sound right...A 747 flying over the stadium during a soft ballad isn't part of the ensemble sound...it is different..why does it have to blend with the ensemble sound? It is it's own entity...

Dude, you are full of ridiculous analogies.

Precisely. I would concur that DCP polls are not very representative of what most people truly feel about narration. There are a bevy of problems that are associated with such polls, including the types of questions asked. Representativeness, external and internal validity, extrapolation, heteroskedasticity, etc. are all major factors in statistics that would be necessary to truly depict the public's opinions regarding narration in drum corps.

Nuff said.

PhD student

:tongue:

Edited by euphguy

and exit polls from elections, which are an even smaller selection of total representatives, seems to end up being at least somewhat accurate...

I know dcp polls aren't the be all end all of scientific polling, but they produce a pretty decent footprint...

Dude, you are full of ridiculous analogies.

it's ridiculous to you, maybe, but not to me....they both affect me the same way when watching a show...

it's ridiculous to you, maybe, but not to me....they both affect me the same way when watching a show...

Narration is done because the corps wants you to listen to it. They want it to be the focus at that moment. An airplane flying overhead is not meant to be part of the show. It is accidental.

and neither was the Cadets narration. They never once told you how to feel, they told you how THEY feel. You are stating your opinion, not fact.... We get it, you don't like it, that does not mean it was Emo, Overbearing or Preachy. I found it to be genuine, and spoke of how a lot of people feel about life, music etc.....

ok, they are stating what THEY feel....which I don't need. I don't want told anything...I want to figure it out by myself...if there's sadness, play sad music. If there's anger, play angry music. Since you don't agree with emo, overbearing, and preachy, how about too lengthy, poorly written, and poorly executed?

and everything I say on here is my opinion...I just happen to know that a lot of people agree..just as I agree with lots of people on here.

Narration is done because the corps wants you to listen to it. They want it to be the focus at that moment. An airplane flying overhead is not meant to be part of the show. It is accidental.

and yet, they both affect me the same way..that's the point I'm making. I don't want to listen to an airplane flying over during a show, and I didn't want to hear that narration...what is so hard to understand about that?