Academy

These horns are not the same as what Jupiter had previously put out and are in no way an inferior product to the other companies you speak of here. Jupiter spent over 2 years working on the research and development of the Quantum Brass Project and you can tell that through the quality of sound and workmanship they have put into them. They were built to sound as an ensemble and not as an individual horn. The overall sound is a darker and a bit richer than that of the Kings and Yamaha brass, especially in the low brass, and the Brass staff at Teal is very pleased with the overall blend, balance and quality of intonation that they produce.

I have worked with a band that chose Jupiter horns over Yamaha because of the cheaper price, up front. In my professional opinion Jupiter horns do not stack up against Yamaha, King, or Dynasty.

The sound they produce is not dark, it's stuffy. I've also had to make more repairs on Jupiter horns then many other, much older, Yamaha and King models.

If Jupiter is working out well for Academy and Teal Sound, then good. I'm glad they've found a partnership that works for them. I just would never put any of my students or any money into the product Jupiter currently markets.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have worked with a band that chose Jupiter horns over Yamaha because of the cheaper price, up front. In my professional opinion Jupiter horns do not stack up against Yamaha, King, or Dynasty.

The sound they produce is not dark, it's stuffy. I've also had to make more repairs on Jupiter horns then many other, much older, Yamaha and King models.

If Jupiter is working out well for Academy and Teal Sound, then good. I'm glad they've found a partnership that works for them. I just would never put any of my students or any money into the product Jupiter currently markets.

Were any of the Jupiter horns you worked with part of the new Quantum line?

You're not paying attention. This is a completely different line that AA is using.

I know that. ut you don't go from making crap to gold in a year. Just doesn't happen.

again, you're still not paying attention. lol. They've spent years working on this. And besides we all know different makes within brands do make a difference. All manufactures make *beginner, intermediate, and professional level horns, while each is from the same company, they can be COMPLETELY different in quality. (and price...)

again, you're still not paying attention. lol. They've spent years working on this. And besides we all know different makes within brands do make a difference. All manufactures make *beginner, intermediate, and professional level horns, while each is from the same company, they can be COMPLETELY different in quality. (and price...)

You seem to be the one not paying attention. I don't care how long they've been working on this model. I'm very skeptical of a brand that produced the models I've worked with.

i can see your point to be very skeptic...but there's a difference between being skeptic and just negative. *ps i know it's hard in text, but i'm really not trying to be a smartass or anything mean*

i can see your point to be very skeptic...but there's a difference between being skeptic and just negative. *ps i know it's hard in text, but i'm really not trying to be a smartass or anything mean*

And I'm not trying to be overly negative. My main point was that I'm very very skeptic of this new line considering the products released by Jupiter in the recent past.

I never took your comments as either smart-### or mean. All good.

well very very skeptic, take it from people who have played on these horns...

a re-post from december, from a CMM of academy. they sent me a message about the new line of horns when the discussion about them first started, and i posted it with his permission.

These new Jupiter horns ARE NOT all hype. Sam and Pat were commissioned to help redesign the marching horns as well as the new concert Tubas and Euphoniums. While we were in Pasadena for the 4th of July performance Sam and Pat brought out the prototypes for each of the low brass instruments. The Baritone projected very well and had a nice full sound, however the mid-range above the staff was stuffy and I felt much back pressure. I'm not sure if this was addressed before the finished product came off the line. The contra players all really liked the contra model. The Euphonium was by far the best of the 3 in my opinion. I played on that one after rehearsal and it has an incredible sound. It feels almost just like playing a concert horn. It projects extremely well there was virtually no resistance at the louder dynamics. So I think it's safe to say you can look for a much more balanced Academy hornline this year. Ergonomically the horns are very well balanced. The weight on both the Euphonium and Baritone is much more centered, so horn snaps are much easier and I think fatigue won't be as much of an issue because these horns feel much more natural in your hands. You probably remember how bell heavy the Kanstul baritone was and how awkward it feels. These horns can basically be described as "King-Stuls". Sam and Pat "reverse engineered" both models and tried to take what they liked about each horn and combined it into the new Jupiter. There will definitely be some adjustments made to the current models, but within 5 years when Jupiter is on their 2nd and 3rd generation of all the new horns they will be on par or surpass Yamaha as far as quality and affordability go. The tuba players in the studio at ASU that have played the new concert horns really like those as well. So for future educators look you and I, keep an eye on Jupiter, because they could become a great option for affordable, quality instruments. Jupiter is dedicated to improving the quality of all their instruments, which is why they went out and brought in Sam and Pat and others. This will not be the same Jupiter everyone knows now in a few years. Since I can't post in the forum I thought I'd let someone know because obviously most people on DCP have no clue what is going on with these horns.

the boston brass is also using the new line of quantum horns. there was quite a bit of interest surrounding them at the midwest clinic this year - unfortunately the prototypes weren't on the floor yet or i'd have played them myself.

i have no problem with being skeptical until you hear it yourself - i wish more people on dcp would hear things before judging them - but maybe you could remove the "very very" part with this first hand report. :tongue: