The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Andy, how is the new snare player on the end doing since last week?

Better. He was still using his pad a bit, but was much improved. Tony said he's been marching holes, so I don't know if that means he still could play tenors......or not.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda surprised at some of the low predictions for the Scouts in some of the other threads on here. I don't know how things could be nearly as rough as the start they got off to last season. The corps had several well-documented issues not only with the show but also during the admin changeover. There was a large amount of turnover in the membership after the 2006 season when the admin and staff changes were made...which, no doubt, hurt the corps as well as recruiting new members for 2007. Because of all that, the 2007 corps was very young and fighting an uphill battle most of the summer. These guys have another year in the system...couple that with a much more stable admin and many very very experienced, knowledgeable people on staff and I believe we have a much improved chance for success on our hands.

I firmly believe that the wholesale changeover of admin and staff created a lot of turmoil that was incredibly difficult for the corps to overcome. Now that those issues have worked themselves out, there's no reason to believe that things haven't gotten back on the right track. I'm so excited to see what this corps can do!

Of course, people made the same kinds of predictions after 2002...so we'll see!

It seems logical to me that many drum corps fans would predict a moderate rise - if any - in placement for the Scouts this year. And certainly not that any of your good intention and strong enthusiasm for this years corps is in ANY way a bad thing - it isn't! It's awesome! - but we don't want to put any undue pressure on this years corps - or in any way IMPLY or unintentionally diss - (AGAIN which you have NOT done here at ALL) the 2007 Madison Scouts effort. I think everyone pretty much universally agrees that last years corps bounced back from incredibal challenges early on to put out one hell of a showing at DCI last year, and the general feeling seems to be "had there been just ONE more week in the season..." :smile:

I can clearly see a clearer and stronger focus this year over last year - probably due in large part to Spanos having a full year to focus on his group versus the shortened time he had last year to get it all together. He's VERY intelligent and doesn't allow for many (if any) "excuses" with regard to performance level from the participants or his staff I'm sure. But Jeff's focus has got to be for the immediate season upon us now AND the years ahead as well, so I'm sure he just want's to get the guys back into the top 12 and take it from there.

I just want them to come out this year and get back in the thick of it all again. What a great story it would make at the end of the year to have them elbow their way in again decisively.

Thanks BigSnareLine.

My intention was to let Geno know us old bass drummers were coming together for a younger brother.

There are so many corps and kids to support - Pick the person/corps that is in your heart and send them some bucks.

If you're a Scouts Fan send the Scouts some $$, they need it as I'm sure every corps does.

They say yesterdays price per barrel of oil will mean 4.50 at the pump by July 4th which means 5.00 for diesel.

Anyone go to Baraboo today?? Looks really black up in the skis around Madison.

Mike, you are a true alumni ... and people should see you in action holding that big sucker you carried/played:

6fd4re2.jpg

(photo courtesy John M.' wife - I think!)

:smile: No video. Sorry.

We'll be getting out the "bunch helmet" when we see you next!

Hey so you know Weedy! sweet! he's like one of my best buds. we played in high school together and i wish him the best of luck in madison! for that matter i wish all the scouts best of luck!

Great pics. Andy ! Thanks for the ones of my son.

Bill

No problem. I've got a few more I'll send you.

The Scouts, like all corps, have had their ups and downs throughout the seasons, but talent was rarely the reason. I'm certainly not predicting that they'll take the title, but as far as placements are concerned, they could very well be the "sleeper in the deck".

Just watched the Scouts newest video on the DCI Fan Network. WOW. Very Cool!

Although it is only 4 minutes long, the glimpses of the show demonstrate some very challenging design concepts with the visual and brass books.

Love the unique visual technique and style that the brass and percussion are exploring this year. This will add greatly to the GE.

This is a very different Madison corps from last summer....looking forward to see where they go with this...