The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

Just a reminder for anyone who has an extra day or two that they'd be willing to spend with the 2008 Scouts. They really need your help in the upcoming weeks!

Summer Tour Recruitment

Food crew for 7/20 -7/30. The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach... help feed the 2008 Scouts!

Van driver for 7/19-7/26. Help transport fellow volunteers from San Antonio to Atlanta.

Please contact Mike Anello 414-483-1510.

Visit the Madison Scouts Volunteer Website for more info!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to believe the staff is 2 steps ahead of us on this one. (Chris K. is probably a good person to begin with)

I, and my fellow board members, do not influence any of the production aspects of the corps (show, music, design, costumes).

It is my sense that these are all known concerns. However, there may not be practical and cost-effective solutions at this point in the season.

Post from Chris K that is well worth reading:

http://madisonscouts.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608#8608

Great post, and one that reminds us of what corps really is all about. Yes, it's a competitive activity. But the byproducts of being part of a corps, striving -- often against all odds -- to improve to be one's personal best, are the things I remember most from my own corps experience.

I, and my fellow board members, do not influence any of the production aspects of the corps (show, music, design, costumes).

It is my sense that these are all known concerns. However, there may not be practical and cost-effective solutions at this point in the season.

Chris,

I doubt that Linda S. (nor I) is suggesting you wield your capable powers of persuasion (neither did I when I was on the Board). I think the inference was that since you fulfill the role of "boots on the ground", that you are privy to knowledge that we in the hinter land salivate to hear. You are the closest thing to "fly on the wall"! Here's my $.02 regarding as you say, lack of "cost-effective" solution........just keep the jackets on! No harm, No foul......No money spent!

Chris,

I doubt that Linda S. (nor I) is suggesting you wield your capable powers of persuasion (neither did I when I was on the Board). I think the inference was that since you fulfill the role of "boots on the ground", that you are privy to knowledge that we in the hinter land salivate to hear. You are the closest thing to "fly on the wall"! Here's my $.02 regarding as you say, lack of "cost-effective" solution........just keep the jackets on! No harm, No foul......No money spent!

My thoughts exactly... Chris is on site quite a bit, and also has the ear of staff better than the rest of us. A few words here and there from the public's point of view can likely make a difference. However, if the staff is only hearing this from one source (such as Chris), then this sort of message tends to get diluted and often ignored. They do need to hear from others that this is a critical issue.

I agree with Jerry... keep the jackets on. Open them so the white shows through, but don't take off the jackets.

With the one-piece uni, you can't tuck a shirt into the pants, and thus having another shirt on underneath wouldn't work. The only other option would be to take off the jacket and put something else on, whether it's a shirt or another jacket as they have done in prior years (1995 for example).

This show is just screaming for some of that 1995 attitude from the guard... hope they add it in! I sat next to a lady at the Madison show who had a son on the guard in 1995. She was upset that the girls were whistling and screaming at "her son" during the section when they were dancing on the boxes... LOL! I think that sort of fan interaction is exactly what makes a show sing. Bring it on, Madison!

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

This show is just screaming for some of that 1995 attitude from the guard... hope they add it in! I sat next to a lady at the Madison show who had a son on the guard in 1995. She was upset that the girls were whistling and screaming at "her son" during the section when they were dancing on the boxes... LOL! I think that sort of fan interaction is exactly what makes a show sing. Bring it on, Madison!

If she had heard the laughter and the things being said at Louisville when the jackets came off I think she would have been thrilled to have heard whistling and screaming instead.

This is such an EASY fix. If it's not, I have to really wonder who is making that decision and WHY???

The Scouts management KNOWS that they are not getting the same level of talent at the guard auditions

as do the Cavies...and I don't mean this as a slam on the young men with the Scouts. The Cavies guard

has the masculine swagger and attitude that the Scouts guard had at one time...and need to get again.

When taking of the jackets causes people in the audience to laugh and make rude comments that is a

problem that the STAFF has created, not the young men who are giving it their best. Why would any potential guard member in the audience NOT want to go with the Cavies guard instead?

Come on Scouts staff...part of your job in designing a show is to hide your weak points and bring to the front your strengths. The white tshirts do NOT highlight a strength!

If she had heard the laughter and the things being said at Louisville when the jackets came off I think she would have been thrilled to have heard whistling and screaming instead.

This is such an EASY fix. If it's not, I have to really wonder who is making that decision and WHY???

The Scouts management KNOWS that they are not getting the same level of talent at the guard auditions

as do the Cavies...and I don't mean this as a slam on the young men with the Scouts. The Cavies guard

has the masculine swagger and attitude that the Scouts guard had at one time...and need to get again.

When taking of the jackets causes people in the audience to laugh and make rude comments that is a

problem that the STAFF has created, not the young men who are giving it their best. Why would any potential guard member in the audience NOT want to go with the Cavies guard instead?

Come on Scouts staff...part of your job in designing a show is to hide your weak points and bring to the front your strengths. The white tshirts do NOT highlight a strength!

OH YEAH!

:ph34r::ph34r:

as do the Cavies...and I don't mean this as a slam on the young men with the Scouts.

As Chris noted in an earlier post, this is definitely a building year for the Scouts guard, and for a lot of reasons. Last year's guard wasn't large, and from that they lost 5-6 to age-outs and 2 to last minute injuries... of the remaining 2007 members, 7 are currently marching. That accounts for about 60% of the 2007 guard, which isn't bad IMHO.

The guys are definitely working hard... hopefully some more "swagger" will be added in during these next few days in Denver! Assuming that much of this year's guard will be returning next year, then the Scouts will have more to build on with a strong base to start with.

Nobody supports this year's guard more than I do, since this is my son's first year as a Scouts guard member... and he's one of the ones who definitely doesn't look "hot" in those white t-shirts. BUT... he does look pretty cool with the jacket on though, especially with his new beard! :ph34r:

GO SCOUTS!!!!!