Bloomington, we have a problem

I'm surprised in today's PC society, that they can officially declare any federal disaster an "Act of God" I thought for sure they'd go for "Act of Nature" or "Act of your Secular Deity" :)

Don't let Kanye come to Indiana.....he will make sure we all know it's George Bush's fault.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really sad that someone even has to answer this question for you.

28 counties in Indiana were declared Federal Disaster Areas by President Bush today because of massive flooding. This includes Monroe County and Bloomington. Do you realize that whole towns have been completely evacuated because they were under 8 feet of water? Even several hundreds of patients were airlifted from multiple hospitals because of their entire first floors being underwater. Heck, half of Bloomington itself is still partially underwater. PLUS, there is more rain and severe thunderstorms slamming those areas again right now. Flash flood warnings are everywhere, and a huge storm just came through my area, downing more trees, power lines, and flooding some streets that had receded a couple of days ago all over again. More is on the way, and it's not looking pretty.

The State of Indiana is suffering right now, and people are still here on DCP pointing fingers and placing blame. Unbelievable.

Seriously, if you have to ask yourself how an area that received 10 inches of rain in less than 24 hours isn't an act of God, then let me ask you this, what exactly do you call it? And who do you think brought the excessive rain from the sky and caused this flooding?

:tongue:

No kidding.

And how many farmers are going to lose their crops this year? This is serious stuff.

If they are so cash strapped then why are they so determined to continue to add more costly items like electronics on the field and amplification in the first place. Cashy strapped ?? Sell what hasnt been needed for decades, that will cover the $6 a gallon gas prices.

Cash strapped ?? Its deserving when you have instructors dictate policy and fiscability.

Geoffrey

Not all of the member corps voted for the rule change to allow electronics. Majority ruled, so the rest have to deal with that decision. We'll see how many corps give in to the temptation to add electronics, and of those, how many are donated instead of being purchased outright.

My guess is that many of these new toys will be donated. It's cheaper for a manufacturer to donate a few electronics than to advertise in a band publication, plus they get the corps "endorsement" by default this way.

My guess is that many of these new toys will be donated. It's cheaper for a manufacturer to donate a few electronics than to advertise in a band publication, plus they get the corps "endorsement" by default this way.

Yep. I'd bet that the amount a corps spends on 'new' electronics in a given year is hardly enough to feed said corps for a week. Granted, thats 90% speculation, and I would personally rather eat for a week than hear synths in my show :tongue: , but I personally doubt its the make or break situation that some make it out to be. A corps could probably (sadly) save more money by skipping an out of the way show (in gas) than they could by going completely acoustic for a year.

Idea...Bring Championships to NYC

hold Open Class Championships at Hofstra U. in Uniondale on Long Island and hold World Class at Giants Stadium (Home of the Super Bowl Champs woo!!!) in East Rutherford NJ

More than enough hotel space, plenty of activities (Broadway shows, Mets, Yankees, museums, shopping, dining)

Its a gold mine

It's really sad that someone even has to answer this question for you.

28 counties in Indiana were declared Federal Disaster Areas by President Bush today because of massive flooding. This includes Monroe County and Bloomington. Do you realize that whole towns have been completely evacuated because they were under 8 feet of water? Even several hundreds of patients were airlifted from multiple hospitals because of their entire first floors being underwater. Heck, half of Bloomington itself is still partially underwater. PLUS, there is more rain and severe thunderstorms slamming those areas again right now. Flash flood warnings are everywhere, and a huge storm just came through my area, downing more trees, power lines, and flooding some streets that had receded a couple of days ago all over again. More is on the way, and it's not looking pretty.

The State of Indiana is suffering right now, and people are still here on DCP pointing fingers and placing blame. Unbelievable.

Seriously, if you have to ask yourself how an area that received 10 inches of rain in less than 24 hours isn't an act of God, then let me ask you this, what exactly do you call it? And who do you think brought the excessive rain from the sky and caused this flooding?

:tongue:

I guess when you live in a swamp like I do, you don't see 10 inches of rain as that big of a deal.

10" of rain has happened in my area several times in the past 20 years and someone always ends up paying. ( I don't agree with it, but it happens )

Considering that the flooding here in New Orleans for Katrina was blamed on the Corps of Engineers even though Katrina was not an act of the CoE, I find it strange that ANYTHING is considered an act of God. ( I'm not saying that we don't have a section of government that 's involved in weather, it's just not the CoE )

Being a resident of New Orleans for 50+ years I made the decision to live on high ground because of the history of flooding from both the river and from hurricanes. It ####es me off that so many people want to sue at the drop of a hat.

This should be blamed on the CoE so everyone involved in changing plans can get in on a class action law suit.

( sarcasm OFF )

Besides, if this IS an act of God, which "God" are we hanging this one on ? My personal favorites are Momus ( mockery ) and Comus ( anarchy and chaos ).

Act of God indeed. How do we all agree which God to blame this on ?

No kidding.

And how many farmers are going to lose their crops this year? This is serious stuff.

We are farmers. Do you want me to take a picture of the lake that used to be our corn field? How about the mess that used to be the hay field? That'll probably just get plowed under when this is all dried up. Nothing like losing several thousands of dollars of hay in one rain.

DCI will be fine. So will we.

We are farmers. Do you want me to take a picture of the lake that used to be our corn field? How about the mess that used to be the hay field? That'll probably just get plowed under when this is all dried up. Nothing like losing several thousands of dollars of hay in one rain.

DCI will be fine. So will we.

Sorry to hear of your flooding.

As a resident of metro New Orleans, I feel for you.

Good luck with recovery.